PDA

View Full Version : Flagbearers

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12

milanessa
08-10-2012, 11:36 PM
poths called it! :rofl:

http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showpost.php?p=3617225&postcount=49

We do love our "overcoming adversity" background stories. :)

AragornElessar
08-11-2012, 12:37 AM
Well, I am a bit surprised it's a guy due to the GirlPower shown by Team USA this Olympics, but a very deserving choice for Team USA!!

Sharpie, I also think it'll be Jessica Ennis for Team GB.

professordeb
08-11-2012, 01:31 AM
I wonder what is taking Canada so long in naming our flag bearer. I have tender spots for a number of people.

If we use the same type of criteria as the U.S. then Despatie would definitely be one of the "overcoming adversity" considering how he was feeling just 6 weeks ago.

Sinclair could definitely get the call as she hauled the entire team onto her back in the game against the US and almost pulled off the win. She also led in the scoring title for all the women who played soccer in these games with 6. She's helped put Canada's soccer team into the spotlight.

I lurves the idea of having our women's 8 coxswain carry it especially given how many Olympics and teams she has "ordered" to medals.

Hmmm... I think it could be a challenge to make a choice.

marbri
08-11-2012, 01:36 AM
When is the closing ceremony?

Parsley Sage
08-11-2012, 01:42 AM

Sunday.

Deb, I'm pretty sure the Canadian athletes vote on the flag bearer for the closing ceremony.

A.H.Black
08-11-2012, 01:43 AM
Well, I am a bit surprised it's a guy due to the GirlPower shown by Team USA this Olympics, but a very deserving choice for Team USA!!

Sharpie, I also think it'll be Jessica Ennis for Team GB.

It was a woman for the Opening Ceremonies so this is cool with me.

Sunday evening - London Time 9:00 PM I think.

4rkidz
08-11-2012, 02:21 AM
It was a woman for the Opening Ceremonies so this is cool with me.

Sunday evening - London Time 9:00 PM I think.

4pm on Sunday for those in Ontario or eastern time zone..

I cut and pasted below from Canada Yahoo sports...

According to the Canadian Olympic Committee the decision of who is the closing ceremonies flag-bearer is made by Mark Tewksbury, the Olympic team chef de mission, and Sylvie Bernier, the assistant chef de mission.
When triathlete Simon Whitfield was chosen flag-bearer for the opening ceremonies he was first nominated by his sport, then selected by a committee comprised of Tewksbury, Bernier, two athlete representatives and one coach.

I hope it's Sinclair too ;)

misskarne
08-11-2012, 08:23 AM
I really hope it's at least one of our sailors. They're the ones who saved us from total embarassment on the medal table.

But it'll probably be Sally Pearson. :rolleyes: Yes, she won, yes, she was awesome, but the way some of the press is carrying on, you'd think she was the only one who won anything this time...

morqet
08-11-2012, 06:04 PM
Ben Ainslie will carry the flag for GB. Nice for him because the sailors are so often away from the main action & he is now the most successful Olympic sailor ever, but he wouldn't have been my first choice.

Loves_Shizuka
08-11-2012, 06:06 PM
Ben Ainslie?!

OK.

*blank*

A.H.Black
08-11-2012, 06:44 PM
From BBC Sports -

The first of Ainslie's five Olympic medals - the most of any sailor - was a silver in the Laser class at Atlanta 1996, claimed when he was just 19.

He then won golds at Sydney 2000, Athens 2004 and Beijing 2008, all in the Finn discipline, before adding a fourth in Weymouth to overhaul Dane Paul Elvstrom's record of four golds in consecutive Games.

Ainslie has said he is unlikely to compete at the 2016 Olympics in Rio.

Four golds and a silver - pretty cool. Too bad we don't know more about him. Maybe now we will.

SHARPIE
08-11-2012, 07:07 PM
From BBC Sports -

Four golds and a silver - pretty cool. Too bad we don't know more about him. Maybe now we will.

He's also :grope: so Im good with the decision :cheer:

Loves_Shizuka
08-11-2012, 07:10 PM
Each to their own ;)

Zemgirl
08-11-2012, 07:29 PM
Neta Rivkin (rhythmic gymnastics) will be the Israeli flagbearer in the closing ceremony. I'm not really sure how many other Israeli Olympians are still in London, to be honest, but she deserves the honor.

Domshabfan
08-11-2012, 08:17 PM
India : Mary Kom, i couldn't be more happy for her. That olympic medal make her hero for women's sport, as well as for North Eastern athletes in India