PDA

View Full Version : Flagbearers

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12

TygerLily
08-10-2012, 05:52 PM
Emilie Heymans (our only Olympian to medal in 4 consecutive Olympics, I believe) would be another great candidate, as would Alexandre. I am so impressed by his courage and determination, I can't say that enough.

And yes, Rosie.

Rosie's my top pick, but I like these ideas as well as Verbeek.

I disagree with Christine Sinclair because even though she was good, I wasn't impressed with her sportsmanship after the semi-final loss.

Jayar
08-10-2012, 06:15 PM
I'm still casting a vote for Kim Rhode. 5 Olympics, 5 medals.

I hope that it is her. She is a class act.

Parsley Sage
08-10-2012, 07:50 PM
Rosie's my top pick, but I like these ideas as well as Verbeek.

I disagree with Christine Sinclair because even though she was good, I wasn't impressed with her sportsmanship after the semi-final loss.

A few people feel this way on one of my other boards.

How about Lesley Thompson-Willie, the coxswain of the women's 8's. She's medalled in 5 Olympics.

AragornElessar
08-10-2012, 08:02 PM
So, she should have shut up and be nice, instead of speaking the truth knowing there could be sanctions coming her way? I have far more respect for someone sticking their neck out on the line when something *very* obviously wrong took place and also sticking up for her team and for her sport!!

Isn't that techincally the role of the Captain? Christine herself said last night she doesn't regret a single thing she said and she didn't say anything that wasn't true either. If she had, then okay I'd understand why there's a minority saying she shouldn't be the Flagbearer, but she didn't!!

I really do hope Christine recieves the Honour.

TygerLily
08-10-2012, 08:14 PM
I'm sorry I began an argument about Sinclair in this thread. We'll just have to disagree on this one. I can understand the arguments for her, but my stance is that there were other athletes (including Canadians) who dealt with fishy officiating (judging/reffing/whatevah) with more tact and grace. Just my gut reaction.

AragornElessar
08-10-2012, 09:42 PM
Yes, we will have to agree to disagree on this one.

For the US, while I like the idea of Ally Raisman in her role of Team Captain (and when she *finally* got that punch front in on her first tumbling pass in EF Floor Exercise, all that was heard in this house was my screech of delight!! :D ), it wouldn't shock me to see it go to Gabby Douglas. The first African American to win Olympic All Around is pretty hard to ignore.

I will say this though. If a male athlete carries in The Star Spangled Banner, after how the female members of the team have performed, I'll be shocked!!

I also love the idea of Misty and Kerri and there is precedence for it. Marnie McBean and Kathleen Heddle were Canada's Closing Ceremonies flagbearers in Barcelona (I think that's right), so a team of two could indeed do it. I don't envy the USOC to make this decision though, as you guys have so many worthy of the honour.

And Congratulations to Sandra!! After the crap she went through w/the "coaching team" for Romania, she w/out a doubt earned it.

reckless
08-10-2012, 10:20 PM
The US flagbearer will be Bryshon Nellum (http://www.nbcolympics.com/news-blogs/blog=olympic-talk/post/bryshon-nellum-named-u-s-flag-bearer-for-clsoing-ceremony.html).

He was a semifinalist in the 400 meters and member of the 4x400 relay team. If you don't know his story, he was the top high school sprinter in the nation, but as a college freshman, while walking home from a party off-campus, he was shot three times in the legs by gang members who mistook him for a member of a rival gang. Bryshon was told he would never be able to run again, but he came back and had to have multiple surgeries because remnants of the shotgun blast were pressing on the nerves in his legs.

I think he's a deserving selection. He epitomizes the Olympic spirit, which isn't just about winning medals.

Loves_Shizuka
08-10-2012, 10:22 PM
^well said :D

Quite ironic he is chosen to carry the flag, given that many people (in this thread at least) wanted to Kim Rhode - a shooter - to do so :shuffle: ;)

SHARPIE
08-10-2012, 10:24 PM
Great selection by Team US. :cheer:

No announcement by GB yet but I really think it'll be Jessica Ennis.

Garden Kitty
08-10-2012, 10:24 PM
Awww, great choice for flagbearer :cheer:

milanessa
08-10-2012, 10:31 PM
The US flagbearer will be Bryshon Nellum (http://www.nbcolympics.com/news-blogs/blog=olympic-talk/post/bryshon-nellum-named-u-s-flag-bearer-for-clsoing-ceremony.html).

He was a semifinalist in the 400 meters and member of the 4x400 relay team. If you don't know his story, he was the top high school sprinter in the nation, but as a college freshman, while walking home from a party off-campus, he was shot three times in the legs by gang members who mistook him for a member of a rival gang. Bryshon was told he would never be able to run again, but he came back and had to have multiple surgeries because remnants of the shotgun blast were pressing on the nerves in his legs.

I think he's a deserving selection. He epitomizes the Olympic spirit, which isn't just about winning medals.

Excellent choice!

Bournekraatzfan
08-10-2012, 10:42 PM
This article says Sandra Izbasa will carry the flag for Romania.

http://cor.ro/stire.html?id_stiri=690

Yay for Sandra! :cheer:

I love this selection. What an inspiring story. :cheer:

love_skate2011
08-10-2012, 10:45 PM
I hope Russia's flagbearer will be tomorrows winner
I wont say the name as it might jinx her Olympic record attempt :drama:

allezfred
08-10-2012, 11:12 PM

poths called it! :rofl:

http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showpost.php?p=3617225&postcount=49

algonquin
08-10-2012, 11:31 PM
Let me venture a few guesses...

Canada: Despatie
That is who I would like to see.