PDA

View Full Version : Elite skaters and their part-time jobs (article)

Pages : [1] 2

Sylvia
05-31-2012, 08:08 PM
Includes quotes by John Coughlin, Jeremy Ten, Naomi (Nam) Poor, Themi Leftheris, Rockne Brubaker, and Drew Meekins: http://www.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120531&content_id=32547848&vkey=ice_news

blancanieves
05-31-2012, 10:29 PM
Includes quotes by John Coughlin, Jeremy Ten, Naomi (Nam) Poor, Themi Leftheris, Rockne Brubaker, and Drew Meekins: http://www.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120531&content_id=32547848&vkey=ice_news

Just got done reading it. So inspiring to see the sacrifice and commitment that these athletes dedicate to their passion.

kwanfan1818
06-01-2012, 12:59 AM
If you follow Jeremy Ten's tweets, it would be hard to tell that he's a skater: between his job and school, it's surprising he has enough time to sleep, and with skating, I'm not sure he does.

clarie
06-01-2012, 01:21 AM
I've followed Jeremy's tweets and I dont know how he does it. Plus he's always to up-beat.

winterone
06-01-2012, 02:22 AM
John Coughlin's job struck me as a cushy colorado training center job like the work study jobs students have. Give a guy a job with something easy to do and soon he's looking for help. LOL.

overedge
06-01-2012, 02:35 AM
John Coughlin's job struck me as a cushy colorado training center job like the work study jobs students have.

If you think that a work-study job is "cushy", you don't know much about work-study jobs.

And if Coughlin's job is "cushy", so what? It helps him with his expenses and gives him experience that might be useful in whatever he does after skating.

Aussie Willy
06-01-2012, 04:21 AM
Very interesting article. Thanks for posting.

The concern I have with reading this is the fatigue that some of these skaters have. Whilst they may not admit it, constant fatigue is a real safety issue. Particularly if are the guy in a pairs or dance team lifting the girl. It only takes one mistake and a serious accident could happen. On the other hand even just driving to the rink is a risk in itself.

Rochelle
06-01-2012, 03:34 PM
I can definitely understand where fatigue would be a concern... but I think overall these athletes are probably physically/mentally okay working these hours because it continues the lifestyle they've always known as a student/athlete in their teens.

Many (perhaps a majority) of elite athletes live the life style of a stereotypical American "over achiever"/"high achiever" student... so working 30 or more hours a week just replaces the time they may have spent on high school. Especially if they're able to work two full days on the weekends, that leaves only about 14-16 hours spread across Mon-Fri. Not bad at all.

Now for those that are working 30+ hours a week, attending college part-time and skating... that's pushing it for most people to balance. Those attending college full-time, working those hours and skating? :scream: But, most athletes don't make it to this level by lacking a significant work ethic, drive, and dedication to all aspects of their life.

analia
06-01-2012, 05:59 PM
Seems a hard life, especially the part about Jeremy Ten. I just think that focus is actually quite important. I feel like colleges should offer some kind of over-achiever scholarship for them somehow.

blue_idealist
06-01-2012, 10:48 PM
If you follow Jeremy Ten's tweets, it would be hard to tell that he's a skater: between his job and school, it's surprising he has enough time to sleep, and with skating, I'm not sure he does.

If this matters, Jeremy Ten isn't a full-time student. He tweeted once that he was going to take eight years to finish his degree.

Madre
06-02-2012, 01:40 AM
Several pair guys in Boston work part time - Tyler Harris is a shift manager at Starbucks; Simon Schnapir is also a barista there; and Andrew Speroff is employed at a work out facility. These guys work hard and are willing to do what it takes!:)

Garden Kitty
06-02-2012, 03:03 AM
I have great admiration for skaters who continue their education while competing at an elite level, but I also respect the skaters who work long hours (often at muliptle jobs) to help support their skating. The focus and commitment these young people deserve some :respec:

agalisgv
06-02-2012, 06:30 AM
If you think that a work-study job is "cushy", you don't know much about work-study jobs.
Work-study jobs in the US tend to be pretty easy money for the amount of work involved. Don't know if that counts as cushy, but I would say it's pretty easy money.

madm
06-02-2012, 06:32 AM
Several pair guys in Boston work part time - Tyler Harris is a shift manager at Starbucks; Simon Schnapir is also a barista there; and Andrew Speroff is employed at a work out facility. These guys work hard and are willing to do what it takes!:)

Andrew Speroff previously worked as a lifeguard at the Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs (yes, even Michael Phelps has a lifeguard on duty). That job included mandatory workout time at the OTC (haha!). Other non-skating-related jobs that pair skaters have held include fast food chef, arena security guard at major sporting events and concerts, community college computer lab staff, Best Buy geek squad, theater production assistant, disc jockey, Home Depot employee, fitness instructor, waitress and bartender. Jobs related to skating include skate instruction, skate rental, zamboni driver, skate sharpener, music production, costume making, pair/dance testing partner, paid ice show appearances, etc. Skaters are pretty creative about earning money and they often do a lot of part-time paid activities.

overedge
06-02-2012, 06:38 AM
Work-study jobs in the US tend to be pretty easy money for the amount of work involved. Don't know if that counts as cushy, but I would say it's pretty easy money.

Did I say I was talking about work-study jobs not in the US?