PDA

View Full Version : Stupid, stupid, stupid...

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23

nubka
05-31-2012, 03:42 AM
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/31/nyregion/bloomberg-plans-a-ban-on-large-sugared-drinks.html?_r=1&emc=na

How is this ban going to reduce obesity? Unless they limit the amount of food that people can consume while eating out, I don't see how this is going to help.

Sugary drinks are fattening, but so are a lot of other things like fried foods, mayonaise, ice cream, butter, etc. When people are eating out, let them decide for themselves. I can see something like this being implemented in a school setting, but not in deli's, fast food places, restaurants, etc. :soapbox:

manhn
05-31-2012, 03:58 AM
The measure would not apply to diet sodas, fruit juices, dairy-based drinks like milkshakes, or alcoholic beverages; it would not extend to beverages sold in grocery or convenience stores.

Whew. I can still visit NYC. I need my diet pop.

I know people go on and on and on and on and on and on about those folks who buy a Big Mac and then a Diet coke, but do you know how many calories are in a Coke? It makes a difference. Diet soda allows for the occasional treat in a person's diet. Besides, diet coke tastes better than regular coke.

I don't see this affecting restaurants too much. The glasses aren't that big and they're usually refillable, anyway.

nubka
05-31-2012, 04:03 AM
Whew. I can still visit NYC. I need my diet pop.

I know people go on and on and on and on and on and on about those folks who buy a Big Mac and then a Diet coke, but do you know how many calories are in a Coke? It makes a difference. Diet soda allows for the occasional treat in a person's diet. Besides, diet coke tastes better than regular coke.

I definately like diet soda better. I just think people should be able to make their own decision about what size soda they want.

agalisgv
05-31-2012, 04:05 AM
I know people go on and on and on and on and on and on about those folks who buy a Big Mac and then a Diet coke, but do you know how many calories are in a Coke? It makes a difference. Except they didn't outlaw the sale of milkshakes and drinks that contain some juice. Both tend to have more calories than regular pop.

8 oz Tropicana has 100 calories. Not prohibited.
8 oz Coke has 96 calories. Prohibited.
8 oz milkshake has 303 calories. Not prohibited.

From a purely caloric perspective, it doesn't make a lot of sense.

Prancer
05-31-2012, 04:05 AM
I think diet soda tastes like it has insecticide in it. :P

shan
05-31-2012, 04:07 AM
Diet soda is gross. How healthy is artificial sweetener that's in it?

agalisgv
05-31-2012, 04:07 AM
I think diet soda tastes like it has insecticide in it. :P Thank you

My theory has been people who drink diet pop for extended periods of time eventually kill off any taste buds rendering such foul drinks palatable.

manhn
05-31-2012, 04:11 AM
I'm sorry, I guess I am too unrefined to appreciate the flavour and deliciousness of regular coke.

agalisgv
05-31-2012, 04:12 AM
We forgive you :saint:

I don't actually like regular coke either. I'm not a big pop drinker in general :shuffle:

Really
05-31-2012, 04:17 AM
I'm sorry, I guess I am too unrefined to appreciate the flavour and deliciousness of regular coke.Me, too -- regular Coke or Pepsi is just too sweet for me.

Prancer
05-31-2012, 04:23 AM
We forgive you :saint:

I don't actually like regular coke either. I'm not a big pop drinker in general :shuffle:

Same here. But if I do have a soda, I'd rather have just about anything other than diet anything. Blech.

manhn
05-31-2012, 04:26 AM
Yeah, yeah, you can eat and consume anything and everything you want but in proportion.

Obesity problem solved!

Aussie Willy
05-31-2012, 04:29 AM
All soda drinks are just full of crap and chemicals, doesn't matter if they are diet or regular. Drink them and you are just putting crap and chemicals into your body which just ain't natural.

MacMadame
05-31-2012, 04:31 AM
But people are fat! We must DO SOMETHING. It doesn't matter if it's effective or not!

Prancer
05-31-2012, 04:37 AM
All soda drinks are just full of crap and chemicals, doesn't matter if they are diet or regular. Drink them and you are just putting crap and chemicals into your body which just ain't natural.

All food and drink are made of chemicals, just like we are.

Plenty of natural chemicals are harmful. Plenty of manufactured ones aren't.

Sugar is natural. So is fat.

Soda has no nutritional value, while orange juice and milkshakes do. But orange juice and milkshakes are full of sugar and milkshakes are also full of fat. But sugar and fat are natural.

:drama: Too much for me to comprehend.