PDA

View Full Version : Stupid, stupid, stupid...

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23

pingu
05-31-2012, 02:27 PM
Also pingu you could eat all the healthy food in the world and still find yourself sick. Oh and I feel quite entitled to eat what I want thanks.

I'm sorry, I didn't want to sound like I was telling people what to do, I was just sharing what I have been taught in the dietology lessons I had at the university, as I found them interesting when I learned them. English is not my mothertongue so perhaps what I wrote had been misunderstood.
You are right, we will never be sure whether we'll be sick because it was just going to happen anyway or because we smoked/ate something wrong/had any other bad habit. But, for example, if I have a lung cancer when I'll be older I know it was note caused by smoking because I don't smoke. If I smoked and I would then have a lung cancer, I would be never sure if it was caused by the smoking or if I would have had it anyway.
It's like when you drive, you pay attention and try to not do any crash, but maybe you'll get involved in one anyway, right? In that case you are unlucky, but you know that it was not your behaviour that caused that.

PDilemma
05-31-2012, 03:03 PM
Except they didn't outlaw the sale of milkshakes and drinks that contain some juice. Both tend to have more calories than regular pop.

8 oz Tropicana has 100 calories. Not prohibited.
8 oz Coke has 96 calories. Prohibited.
8 oz milkshake has 303 calories. Not prohibited.

From a purely caloric perspective, it doesn't make a lot of sense.

An 8 oz Coke is not prohibited. The ban would be soda in serving sizes over 16 oz.

What about restaurants that keep refilling? Will that be banned? That drives us nuts when we are out with my nephew (an obese teenager)--servers will refill for the entire meal even if you ask them not to and the kid gets to drink a gallon of soda.

manleywoman
05-31-2012, 03:15 PM
I think it's a good thing. Frankly, nobody needs 44 oz of coke.

I read a study a few years back on CNN that if every person who drinks soda daily cut out 8 oz a day of soda, they'd lose 10 lbs by the end of the year without changing anything else.

purple skates
05-31-2012, 03:43 PM

I read a study a few years back on CNN that if every person who drinks soda daily cut out 8 oz a day of soda, they'd lose 10 lbs by the end of the year without changing anything else.

While I agree that nobody needs 44 oz of coke, it isn't the government's job to deny them the right to have one if they want.

Grannyfan
05-31-2012, 03:45 PM
I swtched to Diet Coke several years back while trying to lose weight and now prefer it to regular Coke, which tastes much too sweet. I don't drink it often, though, maybe two-three times per week.

A drink that should be banned is that vile concoction known as Diet Pepsi.

MacMadame
05-31-2012, 03:52 PM
Tad off topic, but has anyone taken a break from drinking pop, and then gone back to it and find it burns to drink it? I think unless you drink it regularly, it's kinda unpleasant to drink :shuffle:.
Diet soda, yes. (Don't drink regular -- too sweet.) It tastes like a mouthful of chemicals.

Well, I know it has aspertame (spelling?) which turns into formaldehyde when heated, so don't heat up your Diet Coke! At least this is what's been buzzing around for several years.
It does but our body makes formaldehyde naturally. So I'm not sure it's that big a deal especially when it's in such small amounts.

As for artificial sweeteners causing cancer, that has been largely debunked as the studies where this was shown were full of flaws and better designed studies don't show this to be an issue, at least not any more than anything else we use on a daily basis.

But it's not a study. It's a prediction. And the thing is, that's not how bodies work. You can cut out 8 oz. of soda a day but, unless you are carefully tracking everything you do to make sure nothing else has changed, most likely you will change something to compensate.

That's because our appetite control system is very powerful. Our bodies do everything in our power to keep us at a certain weight. You can't just change one thing like that and expect that it will have any durable effect without doing anything else.

This is one reason why just exercising more often doesn't lead to long-term weight loss. (Something that has been shown over and over in studies.) Our bodies respond to us burning extra calories by increasing our appetite most of the time. You also have to consciously limit your calories along with the increase in exercise if you want to see results.*

*usual disclaimers apply... this is on average and in general. Individual results may vary. ;)

BlueRidge
05-31-2012, 04:19 PM
aspartame as MacMadame said, has not been shown to cause cancer, or any of the other things you'll find claimed on the internet. It still tastes vile though.

There does seem to be confirmed evidence that sodas, diet or otherwise, with the caramel type coloring of colas block calcium absorption so as someone said up thread, anyone with concerns about osteoporosis should not drink them regularly.

I wonder how movie theaters feel about this law? Here they always sell humongous cola drinks at humongous prices so they can make money. I can't imagine how anyone drinks those things without bursting their bladders! Okay, I'm small...

I think that calorie and ingredient information, and maybe sometimes warnings about information people may not have are a good idea. I don't think banning drinks or food that are only harmful if you over consume them is a good idea. People can decide for themselves and if they have unhealthy habits a ban like this isn't going to change that anyway.

I drink seltzer water. I like that burning sensation. :lol:

danceronice
05-31-2012, 04:24 PM
This - I don't drink fizzy pop because it 'burns' my mouth (it feels hot somehow) and I've always found it puzzling that people are able to drink the stuff :lol:

Lol, you mean the 'fizzy' part? I love it--I always try to get the sparkling mineral water (otherwise I can't really see BUYING water.) It also feels colder on hot days! (If I get soda, I get Vernors or Squirt, or I get Canada Dry if I'm sick. If you see me with Canada Dry and saltines, keep a safe quarantine distance--its' my go-to stomach-bug food.)

purple skates
05-31-2012, 04:24 PM
I drink seltzer water. I like that burning sensation. :lol:

I love LaCroix (http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_zbfgsf0uONk/SjLFZP28cII/AAAAAAAABFM/lOM8uMyha_I/s400/lacriox-banner.jpg)sparkling water. No sodium, like most carbinated water, no artificial sweateners, no calories. :)

nubka
05-31-2012, 04:26 PM
I don't know that I agree with the concept of a law, but the supersizing of drinks here is astounding. As a kid I could get a bottle of pop from a vending machine that was about 8 ounces. Maybe less.

I like the required calorie listings at restaurants. I've been quite surprised at some of them, and it definitely has influenced my choice.

Isn't it great that it's your choice? :) :cheer2: :cheer2:

Garden Kitty
05-31-2012, 05:00 PM

Are you in favor of prohibiting everything that people don't need, or just this one?

julieann
05-31-2012, 05:05 PM
I have seen a person buy and consume 3 Big Macs, a supersize order of fries, and a Diet Coke.

Some people just prefer the taste of a diet coke no matter if they are trying to lose weight or not. What they eat with it is irrelevant when choosing one beverage of choice over another.

It's no different that people ordering a salad with a regular coke.

manleywoman
05-31-2012, 06:24 PM
Are you in favor of prohibiting everything that people don't need, or just this one?

I'm in favor of prohibiting marketing machines and large corporations pushing their crap on us.

When the government allowed ads for various drugs to be put on TV, presumably so people could be in charge of their own choices for drugs . . . has that helped people make informed choices in the long run?

Rob
05-31-2012, 07:38 PM
Tad off topic, but has anyone taken a break from drinking pop, and then gone back to it and find it burns to drink it? I think unless you drink it regularly, it's kinda unpleasant to drink :shuffle:.

Yes, I quit all soda/carbonated beverages and drank water/iced tea for several months. Then, when iced tea was not available, and I was dying for caffeine, I had a Diet Coke. Not only did the fizz burn, but it tasted totally vile. Combination of Robitussin and insecticide. And the sugar stuff - blah, tongue coating cloying bleech.

Allegedly, the carbonation contributes to cellulite so I don't think the diet stuff is too good either.

skatesindreams
05-31-2012, 07:45 PM
I think diet soda tastes like it has insecticide in it. :P

That's exactly why I won't drink it.