PDA

View Full Version : Stupid, stupid, stupid...

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23

sk8er1964
06-15-2012, 09:07 PM
Is this not something that other people do? :shuffle:

It must be the Michigander in us - because I do. Straight out of the garden is best. :)

my little pony
06-15-2012, 09:11 PM
i will start out by saying that my mother was not much of a cook - but during tomato season, she would put tomatoes and nothing else on the table 3 - 4 nights a wk and it was up to me how to eat mine

sk8er1964
06-15-2012, 09:14 PM
Tomatoes are best eaten sliced on white toast, with sliced cucumbers and mayonnaise. Oh, and salt. Lots of it.

(I didn't say it was healthy. :lol:)

genevieve
06-15-2012, 09:14 PM
As I had it explained to me by a dietitian - our bodies crave salt, sugar and fat as part of a survival mode.

Anyone who has watched Survivor knows that nothing makes semi-starving people go batshit like the promise of something sugary/fatty/salty - a soda, a piece of cake, french fries, some ice cream. I always think that they'd be more interested in getting protein, but no, it's the crap foods that make them break down in tears. :lol:

I'm not speaking to money but most of the posters here espousing eating healthy and pushing vegetables can please themselves and not worry about another adult and a couple of kids in the process.
True enough - often when I come back from the gym in the evening and don't feel like cooking, my dinner is an apple with some cheese and peanut butter. I can't see someone else being excited about that if they were expecting spaghetti :P

PDilemma
06-15-2012, 09:29 PM
You can eat whole tomatoes all you want - I do; the point is that it's not something you hand your kids and say here's dinner. I'm not speaking to money but most of the posters here espousing eating healthy and pushing vegetables can please themselves and not worry about another adult and a couple of kids in the process. More to say but I'm already 2 hours late leaving to go to my mother's house. More later.

You are assuming a lot. For starters, you are assuming that anyone saying they would eat a whole tomato considers it an entire meal. You are also assuming that all the posters who buy and eat produce or other healthy food are single and living alone.

My mother regularly put fresh tomatoes and other vegetables on the table as part of a meal with a husband and two kids in the house. I regularly do so at my house with a husband. I regularly did when my nephew used to be in my care 24/7 for 6-8 weeks out of the year from age 1.5 to 13 years. A spouse or partner and/or children at the table does not somehow mean you can no longer eat or serve produce or other healthy food.

agalisgv
06-15-2012, 09:31 PM
Tomatoes are best eaten sliced on white toast, with sliced cucumbers and mayonnaise. I consider mayonnaise the anti-Christ of condiments.

leesaleesa
06-15-2012, 10:21 PM
So, leesaleesa, you're able to keep your food bill down and eat healthy because of your particular circumstances (free food, no compunction about eating caged hen eggs, scrounging, etc). Works for you but you do know that most families can't do that, don't you?

You certainly are jumping to conclusions. How do you know that I haven't raised a family? In any event, it's your responsibility to raise and feed your family, not mine.

I don't know what "most" families do, and neither do you, unless you know millions of families. I know what people around me do. The topic was obesity, and I addressed my particular situation and how I am able to to avoid obesity through diet and excercise.

I will eat caged hen eggs before I will sit on my fat ass moaning that it's not my fault for being fat because I can't afford free range, and I'll "scrounge" (ask the manager of the restaurant next door if I can take the vegables he's tossing) for fruits and vegetables before I'll sit around on my fat ass pissing and moaning about how I'm fat because I can't afford fruit and vegetables.

Rail against the storm, or put on a raincoat. It's your choice to put up roadblocks instead of figuring out how to get around them.

Prancer
06-15-2012, 10:25 PM
You are assuming a lot. For starters, you are assuming that anyone saying they would eat a whole tomato considers it an entire meal.

I don't think that's what she was saying at all. The way I read it, she was saying that you have X amount of money to spend on food, and that said food has to go farther when you have more mouths to feed.

If I want to eat a whole tomato and have only myself to consider, it's no big deal. But if I have a whole tomato and four people to feed, I can't do that, so there is no eating a whole tomato for me--unless I have enough whole tomatoes to go around. Which means that I need a greater supply of money. And if I want to eat only organic tomatoes, I need more money still.

That is, in fact, why I am spending so much on fruit right now. My husband has never been a fruit eater, but when he got his cholesterol done last year, his HDL was way low. So now he has started eating fruit, which has upped the bill and cut into what the rest of us can eat. The RDA for fruit is 4-5 half cup servings per day per person--that's eight to 10 cups of fruit for the family every day.

It's not that it can't be done; it's that not everyone can afford to do it.

numbers123
06-15-2012, 11:11 PM
You certainly are jumping to conclusions. How do you know that I haven't raised a family? In any event, it's your responsibility to raise and feed your family, not mine.

I don't know what "most" families do, and neither do you, unless you know millions of families. I know what people around me do. The topic was obesity, and I addressed my particular situation and how I am able to to avoid obesity through diet and excercise.

I don't know how many families milanessa knows, but the stats (http://www.npc.umich.edu/poverty/) for people living in poverty are pretty indicative of the number of families that could struggle providing food.

I'm not to sure that it is about getting off fat asses as it is about obtaining cheap, long storage life foods vs. fruits and veggies that are more expensive.

The U.S. Department of Agriculture reported that in 2010, 14.5% of households in the United States -- about 17.2 million -- lacked the resources to provide enough food for everybody. Among those, about 6.4 million households saw normal eating patterns disrupted or reduced because there wasn't enough food.

ETA:
In any event, it's your responsibility to raise and feed your family, not mine. I thought about how I might say this, but in fact, I do believe that we have a responsibility to the poor and hungry in this country to assist them where/whenever we can. Which is why I donate to food banks, food pantries, Heifer International (http://www.heifer.org/) (which by the way is an excellent way to help provide people with the skills to raise their own foods - not just third world countries but also the US), assisting (through financial assistance) in growing gardens (in my area are gardens that people grow fresh veggies to distribute without cost to families in need). We do need to help those in poverty especially when they need to choose between shelter and food, medications and food,

cruisin
06-15-2012, 11:15 PM
Tomatoes are best eaten sliced on white toast, with sliced cucumbers and mayonnaise. Oh, and salt. Lots of it.

(I didn't say it was healthy. :lol:)

I know this sounds weird (the sandwich), but when I was little we had neighbors, across the street, who were from Germany. Their daughter and I were the same age and played together. Sometimes her mom would make us tomato sandwiches, I loved them! They were: fresh rye bread with a very thin smear of butter, fresh, sliced tomatoes, and salt and pepper - open faced. They were so yummy!

Gil-Galad
06-15-2012, 11:35 PM
Anyone who has watched Survivor knows that nothing makes semi-starving people go batshit like the promise of something sugary/fatty/salty - a soda, a piece of cake, french fries, some ice cream. I always think that they'd be more interested in getting protein, but no, it's the crap foods that make them break down in tears. :lol:

I know that from myself - when I am only mildly hungry, I love to think about some cooked veggies, some pasta and lean meat. But maybe our brain remembers the real high calory / sugary food, because when I am really really hungry, like after 8h in the OR, I can only think about chocolate, wine gums etc. I've had moments where I would just start eating stuff like that without any control on such days. After a few times I made a pact with myself to always eat a slice of good old Schwarzbrot (http://www.wunderkessel.de/galerie/data/650/medium/Luxus-Schwarzbrot_01.JPG) when I feel so uber-hungry. I know - carbs galore, but it satiates immensely and after eating it, I can see and think clearly again. (I still love to eat chocolate, but eating it when being so very hungry is such a bad idea)

There was actually a study that people who regularly eat moderate amounts of chocolate eat overall healthier than people who completely shun chocolate from their diets. Loved that study. Probably going to be rebuked in a matter of months - but still :rollin:

nubka
06-15-2012, 11:55 PM
Anyone here game for a refreshing mega-sized Diet Coke? I know I am! :summer:

cruisin
06-16-2012, 12:20 AM
Anyone here game for a refreshing mega-sized Diet Coke? I know I am! :summer:

Yes, because we will be drinking healthy! :rofl:

nubka
06-16-2012, 04:57 AM
Yes, because we will be drinking healthy! :rofl:

Let's do it! :D

cruisin
06-16-2012, 05:16 AM
Let's do it! :D

Can we put some vodka in it? :D We can toast our good health!