PDA

View Full Version : Barcelona hotel suggestions

Pages : [1] 2 3

Jenya
05-30-2012, 11:58 PM
I'm headed to Spain at the end of July and will be in Barcelona for three nights and am still looking for somewhere to stay. Does anyone have any suggestions for reasonably priced hotels in a safe/good location? I reread some of the old Spain travel threads but didn't see many hotel recommendations for Barcelona - just Hotel Lloret.

Thanks in advance. :)

Erica Lee
05-31-2012, 03:40 AM
I travelled to Barcelona alone, and found the prices of hotels to be high for what I needed (just a place to sleep for one person). I stayed at Residencia Campus del Mar - which is basically like a university residence. I can't remember if they have different styles of rooms, but for about $60, I had a private room with ensuite bathroom and a kitchenette (complete with food for breakfast). It was not glamourous but I felt safe and it was comfortable and quiet. The front desk was very nice and wifi was free. It was walking distance to the beach and to the subway, which easily connects you to anywhere.

Vagabond
05-31-2012, 04:24 AM
It's been several years now, but I stayed at the Hotel Taber, which is just around the corner from La Rambla. It's a decent, three-star hotel -- nothing special, but it will do.

kwanfan1818
05-31-2012, 07:11 AM
I liked the Hotel Granvia when I was there:
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g187497-d208596-Reviews-Hotel_Granvia-Barcelona_Catalonia.html

The rooms were plain, but clean and comfortable, the people at the front desk were very nice, and I liked the breakfast a lot. (I skip eggs and other cooked breakfast food, and I can't speak to them.)

genevieve
05-31-2012, 07:35 PM
For my last night in Barcelona, I stayed at the Barcelo Sants (http://www.barcelo.com/BarceloHotels/en_GB/hotels/Spain/Barcelona/hotel-barcelo-sants/general-description.aspx) hotel, because I had a very early flight, and the hotel is built on top of a major train station. The ride to the airport was only about 15 minutes. It's a business hotel, so more pragmatic than charming, but it has this funky space age theme that is hilariously awesome.

For the rest of my stay in the city, I was in a hotel just off La Ramble, but if I go to Barcelona again I would not stay in that area - the noise didn't bother me, I felt totally safe travelling alone, and certainly the location in relation to other parts of the city was very good, but it's just like being in the middle of spring break all the time.

Vagabond
05-31-2012, 07:49 PM
For the rest of my stay in the city, I was in a hotel just off La Ramble, but if I go to Barcelona again I would not stay in that area - the noise didn't bother me, I felt totally safe travelling alone, and certainly the location in relation to other parts of the city was very good, but it's just like being in the middle of spring break all the time.

:nopryde:

Tinami Amori
05-31-2012, 07:51 PM
I'm headed to Spain at the end of July and will be in Barcelona for three nights and am still looking for somewhere to stay. Does anyone have any suggestions for reasonably priced hotels in a safe/good location? I reread some of the old Spain travel threads but didn't see many hotel recommendations for Barcelona - just Hotel Lloret.

Thanks in advance. :)

I have a list, and my favorites. What is your budget? How many people? what exact dates? (Barcelona is usually sold out in July, as far as better hotels for reasonable prices).

Rob
05-31-2012, 07:55 PM
I liked the Hotel Granvia when I was there:
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g187497-d208596-Reviews-Hotel_Granvia-Barcelona_Catalonia.html

The rooms were plain, but clean and comfortable, the people at the front desk were very nice, and I liked the breakfast a lot. (I skip eggs and other cooked breakfast food, and I can't speak to them.)

I second the Granvia. We stayed there almost a week, and I really liked it. Reasonably priced. Very convenient too.

Tinami Amori
05-31-2012, 08:36 PM
I second the Granvia. We stayed there almost a week, and I really liked it. Reasonably priced. Very convenient too.

I third the Granvia! (my number 1 choice for budget hotel in safe, nice, very central location - 2 blocks from the best Gaudi buildings, and the best pedestrian streets in town)!

The rooms were plain, but clean and comfortable.......

Unless one reserves a room with a balcony…. On the top level. It is more than just a “balcony”, it is a whole patio…..

The smaller rooms which look inside the courtyard have a very “industrial view” – pipes and metal structures… :D.

Jenya
05-31-2012, 09:18 PM
I have a list, and my favorites. What is your budget? How many people? what exact dates? (Barcelona is usually sold out in July, as far as better hotels for reasonable prices).

It's just going to be me and I'll be there from 31 July - 3 August. I would prefer to stay around 100 Euros/night, but I'm willing to look at options that cost more, too, given that it's high season.

Thanks for all of the suggestions. :)

Rob
05-31-2012, 09:30 PM
Unless one reserves a room with a balcony…. On the top level. It is more than just a “balcony”, it is a whole patio…..

The smaller rooms which look inside the courtyard have a very “industrial view” – pipes and metal structures… :D.

We had a street view and a huge window that opened with a little juliet balcony so it was like sitting outside (no patio though). But there was a patio for all guests and several other nice sitting areas. And a huge bathroom!

Tinami Amori
06-01-2012, 05:44 AM
It's just going to be me and I'll be there from 31 July - 3 August. I would prefer to stay around 100 Euros/night, but I'm willing to look at options that cost more, too, given that it's high season.

Thanks for all of the suggestions. :)

The safest, tourist friendly area, where people walk around all day long and late into the night, with several pedestrian area (which is relatively safe for a woman traveling alone) is located in the following “rectangle”. You want to be in the area where there is a lot of people, you have easy access to bars, social places, restaurants, and can walk into your hotel just few blocks away at any time of day and night, especially night.

So here is the “rectangle” you want to be in:

North Side: not above more than 1 block from Ave. Diagonal
South Side: not below more than 1 block down from P-za Catalunya/North end of Barrio Gotic (Gothic Quarters), where P-za Catalunuya becomes street Ronda de Sant Pere.
West Side: Rambala de Catalunya (which becomes La Rumbala)
East Side: after Passeig de Gracia (main street), next street Carrer de Pau Claris, which becomes towards the water Via Laeitana.

PLEASE NOTE: some hotel booking websites give your TOTAL PRICE for all nights, not per single night. So when you see “your booking is $ 450 USD” it means for 4 nights total, not a cost of single night.

Hotels in the specified “rectangle” under 130 Euro/per night.
Rambla area/centre.

1st - HOTEL CONTINENTAL – BARCELONA
Rooms available – run between 92 and 122 euro
http://www.hotelcontinental.com/web/

2nd– NH Hotel Calderon Barcelona – 105 to 125 euro
http://www.nh-hotels.com/nh/en/hotels/spain/barcelona/nh-calderon.html?nhagentid=10166&nhsubagentid=101660000000&gclid=CK6Nl7marLACFUkaQgod4gyBWQ&oodc=6566&source=adwords

3rd – Hotel Praktik Barcelona – boutique hotel 95 to 125 euro.
http://www.hotelpraktikrambla.com/

4th – HOTEL AVENIDA PALACE (Grand Vie avenue) – 4* Hotel, but promotional rate for your date – 108 Euro per night, single room.
http://www.avenidapalace.com/en

Do read hotel-guest reviews for your self please (TripAdvisor, etc). You may have criteria which I did not consider.

Jenya
06-01-2012, 11:52 AM
Thank you very much for the suggestions, Tinami, I'll look into them today. :)

Jenya
06-02-2012, 11:14 PM
Bumping this up to say thanks again for the tips - I booked a room at the Hotel Granvia thanks to all of your great reviews.

I have a reservation in Madrid (I'll be there 27 - 31 July) but if anyone has any recommendations for hotels there, I would appreciate it - thanks in advance again. :)

Tinami Amori
06-03-2012, 07:25 AM
I have a reservation in Madrid (I'll be there 27 - 31 July) but if anyone has any recommendations for hotels there, I would appreciate it - thanks in advance again. :)

Which hotel in Madrid? How many days will you stay in Madird? which dates?

The best located hotels are on a central street Gran Via. It's a noisy nasty street. There are "charming hotels" but they are not exactly in the centre. There are "short term appartments for rent" VERY close to P-za Mayor, but I need to know dates.

Give me ALL info about your stay in Madird, and what your intentions are... to sight see, to have romantic time with lover, to stay while tending some other business, a base to travel to Toledo and other day trips?

What's your fantasy and expectations from Madrid.... and BUDGET?