PDA

View Full Version : Judy Garland Fans

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

skipaway
05-30-2012, 07:58 PM
On June 10th, she would have been 90!
TCM (Turner Classic Movies) will be doing a Judy Garland Moviethon starting at 0630am and showing 11 of her best movies over 24 hours. Enjoy!

Alex Forrest
05-30-2012, 08:54 PM
I didn't see a listing of the movies. I had to go to IMDB to see that she DID more than ten movies (starred in, I don't count the 'Dear Mr. Gable' as a movie credit). I hope they show "The Clock" because she wasn't being the ugly girl with the spirit and great voice that it seemed she always had to play in the Andy Hardy movies. I will probably watch. For such a talent, she didn't do that many films.

julieann
05-30-2012, 09:48 PM
I didn't see a listing of the movies. I had to go to IMDB to see that she DID more than ten movies (starred in, I don't count the 'Dear Mr. Gable' as a movie credit). I hope they show "The Clock" because she wasn't being the ugly girl with the spirit and great voice that it seemed she always had to play in the Andy Hardy movies. I will probably watch. For such a talent, she didn't do that many films.

Don't forget she also was on TV, stage, and did concerts and albums during the 33 years from her first movie to her death at 47. With all going on doing over 20 movies is pretty respectable.

She should have also won the Oscar over Grace Kelly.

TCM will have more than enough material to show.

skatesindreams
05-30-2012, 09:56 PM
My favorites of her more dramatic performances are "The Clock" and "Judgement at Nuremberg."
In addition to being one of the best live performers, ever; she was a wonderful actress.

Scintillation
05-30-2012, 10:16 PM
One of my favorite segments featuring her: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUYa-mcGnOM It's from the Ziegfeld Follies, and it shows just how comically gifted she was.

taf2002
05-30-2012, 10:18 PM
She did a great performance in A Star is Born too. But her not getting the Oscar for Judgement at Nuremberg was a travesty.

VALuvsMKwan
05-31-2012, 01:42 AM
She did a great performance in A Star is Born too. But her not getting the Oscar for Judgement at Nuremberg was a travesty.

I'd say that not getting it for "A Star is Born" was even more of one. :mad: That was industry politics at its best for Grace Kelly, under contract to MGM and doing one film for them and 3 for Paramount (including "The Country Girl", for which she received the Oscar over both Judy and Dorothy Dandridge's "Carmen Jones"). :eek: Quantity over quality.

Beyond that, Jack Warner did NOTHING to politic for ASIB, released by Warner Bros. and shredded in its butchered editing after its initial release in order to fit in more showings per day.

Alex Forrest
05-31-2012, 01:52 AM
This was basically her screen time in Judgement in Nuremberg. I like the film, and Maximillian Schell is yummy, but this could never be a Judy Garland movie. She's in it for only a few minutes. Still a good scene.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5I-fltxSb5g

julieann
05-31-2012, 03:12 AM
Beatrice Straight won an Oscar for Network, she was on screen for 5 minutes 40 seconds. Both Anthony Quinn and Judi Dench won Oscars for only being on screen for eight minutes. Anthony Hopkin's roll in Silence of the Lambs was only 16+ minutes. It's not how long you're in a movie, it's what you do with the material you are given.

nubka
05-31-2012, 03:58 AM
I always have a difficult time watching Judy Garland's movies, because I feel so sad knowing how her life turned out. :( :(

mysticchic
05-31-2012, 05:11 AM
I wished I still had cable. I love Meet Me in St Louis. Easter Parade and all the others.

TheGirlCanSkate
05-31-2012, 06:24 AM
Meet Me in St Louis is one of my favorites. Her Betsy Booth character was fun as well. I love happy, young Judy.

victoriaheidi
05-31-2012, 06:30 AM
Meet Me In St. Louis is one of my favorites, but I'm really hoping they play Ziegfeld Girl.

TheGirlCanSkate
05-31-2012, 06:43 AM
Meet Me in St Louis is one of my favorites. Her Betsy Booth character was fun as well. I love happy, young Judy.

Fergus
05-31-2012, 02:29 PM
I cherish my DVDs of "The Judy Garland Show" ('63-'64).

I have to admit that other than a few performances, specifically "Ziegfeld Girl", "Meet Me..." & "Judgement...", I'm not a *huge* fan of her motion pictures. :slinkaway

(But, oh, how I WISH this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujVbgqhDtbk&feature=related) had worked out! It would have made "Dolls" even campier!!! :watch: )

Give me ANY and all of her stage/tv acts when she just held a mic and sang: :swoon: Friggin' A+. :) ("Mort Lindsey on piano, everybody......") ;)