PDA

View Full Version : 2012 ISU Congress Proposes More of the Same

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5]

Morry Stillwell
06-07-2012, 08:30 PM
I wouldn't assume that every poster in this thread isn't already involved with their federation. To write all the complainers off as non-participants is rather simplistic IMO.

My posts are intended to only point out the way issues can be addressed. Writing on this message board may accomplish nothing, other than making you feel better.

overedge
06-07-2012, 10:18 PM
Writing on this message board may accomplish nothing, other than making you feel better.

It certainly accomplished something with regards to the issue of the ages of certain pair skaters.

Morry Stillwell
06-07-2012, 11:26 PM
It certainly accomplished something with regards to the issue of the ages of certain pair skaters.

Perhaps specifics on how this was accomplished and advanced could help understanding of this post. Old news proceedure = Who = what = where = When

Morry Stillwell
06-07-2012, 11:34 PM
Around this time wasn't it when Phyllis Howard was lobbying to get elected to the council? I know she's done her share of deals to get to where she was. I remember hearing her response to the new organization that was trying to challenge the ISU st the 2003 worlds and it was pathetic..

Now I will present a defense. Mrs. Howard did not lobby any other ISU Federation for the Council. US Figure Skating made the decision to nominate her and was successful. I was at the Congress that first elected MS Howard.

This proved to be of great benifit to Adult Figure Skaters. Since being elected, MS. Howard has carried the torch for Adult Skaters and has avanced International Adult Skating. The Obersdorf Adult International Event has become a major ISU event. It is my belief that US Figure Skating has the most developed Adult Skating program of all ISU Federations and MS Howard has supported the program with her International support.

overedge
06-07-2012, 11:58 PM
Perhaps specifics on how this was accomplished and advanced could help understanding of this post. Old news proceedure = Who = what = where = When

http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=77519

AnnMJensen
06-08-2012, 12:11 AM
So, I have never been a crazed stalker fan of another sport; so I do not know in detail how they work. Is there a Chinquata equivalent in..say... Fencing or Archery or Diving or Gymnastics? Do they have nationals federations and such like we do? I assume all the Olympic sports have this same set up - because the Olympic people make us do it? If so, I assume FS is not alone and "amateur" athletics is ripe with various officials that athletes and fans are unhappy with and who are perceived as petty, petulant dictators who are destroying what audience there is for whatever sport one loves and killing promising careers with inadequate bow research and such?? Let us assume that, as a long time follower of a sport, one has complaints/concerns/questions on the inner workings of a sport one has spent a significant chunk of change to follow over the years. Must one really get involved in their national federation, moving up through the ranks, getting elected to the board, attending the yearly meeting. trying to get a motion to the floor, etc... That seems a very cumbersome process. It makes me wonder if all of Olympic athletics is about anything but the sponsors every 4 years? Can any of these sports ever really build a faithful following if it is all so murky and such. Maybe the simplicity of those sports I despise (football, baseball) are what makes them make so freakin' much money and get so many jillions of fans. Huh. Interesting. :confused:

MissIzzy
06-08-2012, 02:57 AM
I've bounced around enough of the other sports to be pretty sure a lot of them are headed by corrupt thugs everyone hates.:D Particularly infamous seems to be the members of the IOC(which of course have included Speedy, but his isn't the name hurled around in the stories about them) and particularly the heads at FIFA(when the media starting reporting about Qatar buying the World Cup vote, the reaction of most people was, "This is news?", plus there's that bit when video replaying exposing the ineptness of their refs caused them to get rid of it). I've looked a little more in-depth at cycling, where the argument seems to be whether the UCI's crimes involve forcing cyclists to give up their radios when that makes the sport more dangerous and random than anything else, or simply letting all the more famous guys get away with doping, and hockey, where the fans opinion of the head of the NHL is made clear when he arrives to award the Stanley Cup each yeat (http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/gary-bettman-booing-brief-history-stanley-cup-ceremony-212413440.html)

AnnMJensen
06-08-2012, 03:31 PM
Ok. So it is nice to know we are not alone. I guess..... And if the pro franchise fans feel the same, then it is not just the Olympic Corruption (which I know is huge and rampant); it is generic money/power corruption. I am not sure that is "comforting" exactly.... but it makes sense.

Dragonlady
06-08-2012, 07:02 PM
The difference is that the pro teams have owners and as such the league itself is the owners' organization whose interests are keeping the sport profitable for themselves. The players have a union to protect their interests. Figure skating teams don't have owners. The sport is supposedly being run to the benefit of the skaters and with a mandate to promote the sport.