PDA

View Full Version : 2012 ISU Congress Proposes More of the Same

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5

Morry Stillwell
06-07-2012, 12:02 AM
Speedy was not reelected, he was acclaimed because no one dared oppose him. Anyone who went up against him, was gone. That is the essence of a dictatorship.

This is a flat misstatement. I was at the last Congress when the election took place. The writer seems to not know what really takes place at an ISU Congress. It is fine to have opinions, but to state them as fscts is not the way to get things accepted.

SUN
06-07-2012, 12:02 AM
Except for those federations who form alliances and voting blocks within the ISU to get their agenda passed and those they want elected, put into office.

Voting at any congresses ISU or United Nations is not judging. Explaining your position to others and trying to find the supporters is natural. This is what these congresses are for.

SUN
06-07-2012, 12:07 AM
Speedy was not reelected, he was acclaimed because no one dared oppose him. Anyone who went up against him, was gone. That is the essence of a dictatorship.

I think, presenting your opinion in the way of the statement without adding IMO or AFAIK is exactly the way dictators do.

Dragonlady
06-07-2012, 12:50 AM
This is the first time I can ever recall anyone running against Cinquanta or there being any other candidates. I used to get excited every time he came up for re-election until I realized no one was running against him, again. I had pretty much given up on any one seeking the Presidency of the ISU other than Speedy and then low and behold! Didier has a go at it. I laugh only to keep from crying.

Proustable
06-07-2012, 12:55 AM
This is a flat misstatement. I was at the last Congress when the election took place. The writer seems to not know what really takes place at an ISU Congress. It is fine to have opinions, but to state them as fscts is not the way to get things accepted.

Who went against him (this isn't being catty, I'm genuinely curious who ran against him)?

Dragonlady
06-07-2012, 12:58 AM
The issue is has the sport been run with integrity with the best interests of the athletes at heart during Speedy's tenure? Were those who were caught cheating banned from the sport for life as they are in all honest sports?

The ice-dancers and their coaches actually presented a petition to the ISU begging the federation to clean up the cheating in 2002. Some of the judges they complained about are still sitting at ISU judging tables. Why?

Morry Stillwell
06-07-2012, 01:09 AM
Who went against him (this isn't being catty, I'm genuinely curious who ran against him)?

To be a candidate for the Presidency, the council or on a Technical Committee the candidate must be nominated by their Federation. No candidate was offered. It is up to those who feel strongly that a postion should be flled by a particular candidate it up to that person or group to convince the home Federation.

Morry Stillwell
06-07-2012, 01:18 AM
The issue is has the sport been run with integrity with the best interests of the athletes at heart during Speedy's tenure? Were those who were caught cheating banned from the sport for life as they are in all honest sports?

The ice-dancers and their coaches actually presented a petition to the ISU begging the federation to clean up the cheating in 2002. Some of the judges they complained about are still sitting at ISU judging tables. Why?

A direct petition to the ISU cannot change anything. Those wanting the change, failed to have their home Federations make such a request. No individual or group is directly a member of the ISU. Any association with the ISU is by being a member of a National Federation which is in turn a member of the ISU.

When change is wanted. then the person or group must do their homework.

eurodance2001
06-07-2012, 01:22 AM
A direct petition to the ISU cannot change anything. Those wanting the change, failed to have their home Federations make such a request. No individual or group is directly a member of the ISU. Any association with the ISU is by being a member of a National Federation which is in turn a member of the ISU.

Around this time wasn't it when Phyllis Howard was lobbying to get elected to the council? I know she's done her share of deals to get to where she was. I remember hearing her response to the new organization that was trying to challenge the ISU st the 2003 worlds and it was pathetic..

Dragonlady
06-07-2012, 02:04 AM

It's possible that the skaters believed that on or more of their federations were party to the cheating.

But of course, it makes perfect sense that the federation governing the skaters would not listen directly to the skaters. Perhaps this is why skating is in the mess it's in. The ISU only listens to federations and not athletes.

Louis
06-07-2012, 02:19 AM
I had pretty much given up on any one seeking the Presidency of the ISU other than Speedy and then low and behold! Didier has a go at it. I laugh only to keep from crying.

I tend to have very different views on skating than you do, but I'm 100% with you here. Didier as President of the ISU would certainly be the last nail in the coffin of skating. Shame on anyone who would even consider voting for such a scoundrel. It is truly unfathomable to me that this is even under consideration. Sheer madness.

overedge
06-07-2012, 04:05 AM

Maybe they did and their federations wouldn't act on their behalf, and they figured this was the only way to get attention to their concerns.

allezfred
06-07-2012, 12:26 PM
The ISU only listens to federations and not athletes.

Athletes are part of their respective federations. Otherwise they wouldn't be able to compete at ISU events. The voice of members in a particular country is channelled via the federation. Get in touch with your federation if you want to make yourself heard.

overedge
06-07-2012, 05:57 PM
I wouldn't assume that every poster in this thread isn't already involved with their federation. To write all the complainers off as non-participants is rather simplistic IMO.

Dragonlady
06-07-2012, 07:57 PM
The general population is convinced that all figure skating results are fixed. Even the sport's most ardent fans are leery of the judging and with good reason, the GP events are losing participants, as are Worlds, 4CC and Europeans, further reducing interest in figure skating in countries whose skaters have little opportunity to become competitive, and Morry is defending the actions of the ISU Council as being "democratic".

You and Speedy and the rest have presided over the sport's darkest period, where cheaters are running for president, the the whistleblowers from SLC have all been banished. The sport has lost all credibility with the public because of the democratic decisions of the Council on which you have served.

It takes real balls to defend what the ISU has done during Speedy's tenure.