PDA

View Full Version : 2012 ISU Congress Proposes More of the Same

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5

overedge
06-06-2012, 12:07 AM
At the end of the day though, the fans don't have the vote. The member federations represent the skaters and the sport in their countries. Most of them probably wouldn't even know what the fans think.

I don't think most of them know what the members of their federation think either. I can't ever recall being asked, even at a sectional or national AGM, for direction on how to vote in an ISU election.

Morry Stillwell
06-06-2012, 02:15 AM
Many skating fans are also members of skating federations that belong to the ISU.

Then the true democratic process for such members, is to convince their Federation to nominate and vote for the person of their individual choice. It that can't be done then there is no complaint that is valid.

Morry Stillwell
06-06-2012, 02:19 AM
I don't think most of them know what the members of their federation think either. I can't ever recall being asked, even at a sectional or national AGM, for direction on how to vote in an ISU election.

No one should wait to be asked for an opinion that seems to be very important. There is always time set aside for a Federation member to present a view. You can start in you section to mold the issue.

Aussie Willy
06-06-2012, 02:31 AM
I totally agree with Morry. It is a matter of seeking out the people who do make a difference and that you need to talk to. But there is no point just complaining. People in my experience get listened to more when they have something positive they want to put.

overedge
06-06-2012, 02:52 AM
No one should wait to be asked for an opinion that seems to be very important. There is always time set aside for a Federation member to present a view. You can start in you section to mold the issue.

Sorry, but it seems to me that it's also the responsbility of those representing their federation and its members to ensure that they know the views of those they are representing before they vote.

Morry Stillwell
06-06-2012, 03:12 AM
Sorry, but it seems to me that it's also the responsbility of those representing their federation and its members to ensure that they know the views of those they are representing before they vote.

And just how would that happen if the members only complained and wrote on this very important Blog, rather than get involved with their Federation and made their view known?

Theatregirl1122
06-06-2012, 03:38 AM
You know this is a message board, right?

Wasn't the original point of this discussion whether or not there should be term limits?

Aussie Willy
06-06-2012, 04:10 AM
I suppose the question needs to be asked is how do they do that.

I am in a small pond when it comes the sport. If you are in one of those very large member federations then it is practically impossible for those who are representatives to know what every single member wants.

overedge
06-06-2012, 05:51 AM
It's not impossible. In fact, it's very easy.

Have a motion at sectional and/or national AGMs for each contested position on the ISU executive. The motion is the names of the candidates for each office. The AGM delegates vote for which candidate they want their delegate to support at ISU Congress.

Or there could be a poll on the members-only site of the website, which many ISU member federations have. Again, people would have to log on as members and then could indicate which candidate they wanted their federation's delegates at ISU Congress to vote for.

And BTW this is no different from expecting elected members of legislatures, congresses or parliaments to act for the interests of the people who elected them, and to make informed choices based on those interests. That, too, is part of democracy.

Morry Stillwell
06-06-2012, 06:38 PM
I suppose the question needs to be asked is how do they do that.

I am in a small pond when it comes the sport. If you are in one of those very large member federations then it is practically impossible for those who are representatives to know what every single member wants.

Every ISU Member Federation's vote carries the same weight. Large Federations do not have more votes than do the smallest.

Dragonlady
06-06-2012, 10:17 PM
The President of the ISU is elected and reelected by the Member Federations. This is the essence of Democracy. Member Federation are the electors. Do you think that skating fans should be the ones to vote on the ISU President and Council Members?

Speedy was not reelected, he was acclaimed because no one dared oppose him. Anyone who went up against him, was gone. That is the essence of a dictatorship.

alilou
06-06-2012, 10:30 PM
^^^^^^THIS

Aussie Willy
06-06-2012, 11:11 PM
Every ISU Member Federation's vote carries the same weight. Large Federations do not have more votes than do the smallest.
I am more referring to the numbers you have in your country that you have to communicate with, not so much how many people you have sitting on the ISU.

Dragonlady
06-06-2012, 11:22 PM

Except for those federations who form alliances and voting blocks within the ISU to get their agenda passed and those they want elected, put into office.

Morry Stillwell
06-06-2012, 11:58 PM
Except for those federations who form alliances and voting blocks within the ISU to get their agenda passed and those they want elected, put into office.

You bet! Unless you gather like opinions to vote with you at a Congress your views will not prevail. This is no different than voting in any organization.

From personal experience, I know that alliances change with the subject to be voted upon. If it were not for alliznces the Grand Prix Series would never have been started,