PDA

View Full Version : 2012 ISU Congress Proposes More of the Same

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5

allezfred
06-01-2012, 08:34 PM
I can appreciate it and still say that the ISU is miles and years behind other sport federations when it comes to using new media.

When you do that, you sound whiney just for the sake of it. A clear effort is being made in that area. I think we should encourage it and give praise where it is due.

alilou
06-01-2012, 08:47 PM
When you do that, you sound whiney just for the sake of it. A clear effort is being made in that area. I think we should encourage it and give praise where it is due.
I don't think she sounds whiney at all. It's great that ISU is finally starting to address social media, but the fact that they left it this late is also indicative of much bigger issues in the organization. Which is the real point I would think.

gingercat
06-01-2012, 09:00 PM
The ISU did launch Facebook fan pages this past season and I've enjoyed the content (photos, videos) on the Figure Skating one.

ETA: I also enjoyed the ISU's live and archived free video stream of 2012 World Team Trophy and really appreciated all the JGP videos that were uploaded to the ISU's official JGP YouTube channel after each competitor's performance.

They did a GREAT Job showing the Jr Grand Prix events live and sharing photos and the excitement from all the events. That was a huge step!

Sylvia
06-01-2012, 09:02 PM
If people agree with George Rossano's editorial (linked in the first post) and want to do or say something about it, then we should each contact our respective federations before the start of the ISU Congress next week (ETA: even if this is merely a "symbolic gesture"):

The link to this article has been forwarded to the leadership of U.S. Figure Skating with a request that the USFS voting representative to the upcoming ISU congress be instructed to vote against this proposal. A new president should be elected in 2014 as ISU rules indicate.
ISU Member Federations and their contact info: http://www.sportcentric.com/vsite/vcontent/page/custom/0,8510,4844-161375-178590-19296-68634-custom-item,00.html

Visaliakid
06-04-2012, 06:38 PM
Next week the initial moves, that will lead to who, when and how the future leadership of the ISU will be determined, will unfold at the 2012 ISU Congress. George Rossano provides thoughtful speculation on the possibilities for a new leader for the sport of figure skating.

ISU President race (http://www.iceskatingintnl.com/archive/commentaries/2012%20ISU%20President.htm)

overedge
06-04-2012, 06:46 PM
From the linked story:

During his time at CFSA (now Skate Canada) Dore was responsible for the management and marketing of skating events in Canada and showed himself to be an able promoter of events.

Who wrote this part? David Dore? I think there might be a few alternate versions of this rendition of history....

allezfred
06-04-2012, 06:52 PM
You could have just added this to the other thread about the 2012 congress you started 5 days ago. :rolleyes:

Anyway, thread merged.

Visaliakid
06-04-2012, 07:12 PM
Cinquanta receives French Legion d'Honneur during Worlds in Nice. Didier kissing butt politiking 4 ISU Presidency (French News Video)

http://video.nice.fr/details_video.php?slug=decoration-president-de-l-isu
video.nice.fr (http://video.nice.fr/details_video.php?slug=decoration-president-de-l-isu video.nice.fr)

:rolleyes:

Dragonlady
06-04-2012, 08:49 PM
They did a GREAT Job showing the Jr Grand Prix events live and sharing photos and the excitement from all the events. That was a huge step!

A huge step towards ending corruption in the ISU? A huge step towards the judging transparency and honesty the public wants to see from the ISU?

I just don't see that making video of competitions available does anything for the honesty and integrity of the sport, which is what this thread was meant to address.

Ziggy
06-05-2012, 02:53 AM
While I am no fan of Speedy and would love to see him ousted as ISU President, the only viable candidate running to replace him is Didier Gailhuget, President of the French Federation. Is there anyone here who thinks that Didier is the guy to improve the sport’s image and set to rest concerns that “it’s all fixed”?

Whatever you think of Didier Gailhaguet doesn't change the fact that ISU president terms should be limited so that there's at least a semblance of democracy.

Dragonlady
06-05-2012, 02:30 PM
Whatever you think of Didier Gailhaguet doesn't change the fact that ISU president terms should be limited so that there's at least a semblance of democracy.

Absolutely. Speedy shouldn't have been allowed to continue for as long as he has. He should have been retired years ago but he's been very effective at getting rid of those who would oppose him.

Morry Stillwell
06-05-2012, 06:55 PM

The President of the ISU is elected and reelected by the Member Federations. This is the essence of Democracy. Member Federation are the electors. Do you think that skating fans should be the ones to vote on the ISU President and Council Members?

overedge
06-05-2012, 07:26 PM
The President of the ISU is elected and reelected by the Member Federations. This is the essence of Democracy. Member Federation are the electors. Do you think that skating fans should be the ones to vote on the ISU President and Council Members?

Many skating fans are also members of skating federations that belong to the ISU.

Ziggy
06-05-2012, 10:13 PM

No, I think that it's essential for the democratic process that presidential terms are limited because power corrupts, etc.

Aussie Willy
06-05-2012, 11:14 PM
Many skating fans are also members of skating federations that belong to the ISU.
At the end of the day though, the fans don't have the vote. The member federations represent the skaters and the sport in their countries. Most of them probably wouldn't even know what the fans think.