PDA

View Full Version : Pastor Killed by Snake Bite...

Pages : [1] 2 3

nubka
05-30-2012, 07:35 PM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2152184/Serpent-handling-pastor-Mack-Wolford-dies--hours-hes-bitten-RATTLESNAKE.html

I suppose in his line of work, it's almost inevitable... :yikes:

skatesindreams
05-30-2012, 08:05 PM
Snakehandling Pentecostal preachers once were fairly common in certain areas of the US.
You would read similar stories several times per year.

My mother's Kentucky family knew some people who believed/practiced this.

barbk
05-30-2012, 08:12 PM
His dad apparently died the same way.

Just scary. I hope folks like this never get charge of zoos ("And the lion shall lie down with the lamb...")

Artemis@BC
05-30-2012, 08:18 PM
I just read a novel featuring a fundamentalist church that used snakehandling. A parishoner died, but they covered it up by dumping her in her yard to make it look like she'd been bitten while gardening.

*shudder*

People never cease to amaze me ...

Alex Forrest
05-30-2012, 08:47 PM
Is part of being Pentecostal not seeking medical help? When someone is bitten by a rattlesnake there is really no excuse for them to die unless they refused medical care. There is anti-venom, and surgery, and blood clotting factors, etc. A rattlesnake's venom just makes you not coagulate, right? Ten units of FFP could take care of that.

I hate to sound mean, but this is just another Darwin Award nomination.

skatesindreams
05-30-2012, 09:15 PM
For some, perhaps; but, by no means all.

Here's some background information:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snake_handling
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702303816504577309570173259662.html

IceAlisa
05-30-2012, 10:50 PM
Is part of being Pentecostal not seeking medical help? When someone is bitten by a rattlesnake there is really no excuse for them to die unless they refused medical care. There is anti-venom, and surgery, and blood clotting factors, etc. A rattlesnake's venom just makes you not coagulate, right? Ten units of FFP could take care of that.

Is that the mechanism of rattlesnake venom? Is it being harvested to make anti-coagulant medications? I really don't know but am interested.

skatingfan5
05-30-2012, 10:56 PM
Is that the mechanism of rattlesnake venom? I believe that the venom of some varieties of rattlesnake also has a neurotoxin component.

IceAlisa
05-31-2012, 12:03 AM
I believe that the venom of some varieties of rattlesnake also has a neurotoxin component.

Thanks, interesting. I am going to look this up when I have the chance.

CantALoop
05-31-2012, 12:31 AM
I hate to sound mean, but this is just another Darwin Award nomination.

Damn! You beat me to it! :EVILLE:

Alex Forrest
05-31-2012, 01:26 AM
I believe that the venom of some varieties of rattlesnake also has a neurotoxin component.

"All rattlesnakes possess a set of fangs with which they inject large quantities of hemotoxic venom. The venom travels through the bloodstream, destroying tissue and causing swelling, internal bleeding, and intense pain. Some species, such as the Mojave Rattlesnake, additionally possess a neurotoxic component in their venom that causes paralysis and other nervous symptoms." I know cobras have a neurotoxic component, never heard a rattler does. Still, seeking medical attention will drastically reduce your likelihood of dying from a snake bite. To like ZERO. Hmmm.

VALuvsMKwan
05-31-2012, 01:33 AM
Still, seeking medical attention will drastically reduce your likelihood of dying from a snake bite. To like ZERO. Hmmm.

Hmmm indeed - not handling them AT ALL would help in that regard, too, I should think. :shuffle:

Without bothering to search online for the passages in the New Testament which refer to being able to pick up and handle serpents without harm, one assumes that this behavior is seen and believed by those who practice it to be evidence of utter faith in one's salvation.

I will say that such behavior will certainly raise the odds of leaving this mortal coil behind - where the believers of this type go from here is another question.

WindSpirit
05-31-2012, 02:06 AM
Wolford had been bitten three times before, but never sought medical attention, saying that a bite was a test of his faith. Are there congregations where people jump out of planes to prove that faith is stronger than gravity?

IceAlisa
05-31-2012, 02:15 AM
^^^Good question. Are there? Seems the logic is the same.

agalisgv
05-31-2012, 03:53 AM
one assumes that this behavior is seen and believed by those who practice it to be evidence of utter faith in one's salvation. I don't think that's it. My understanding is this type of practice is taken from texts saying Christians have victory over Satan through Christ, and the serpent is seen as a symbol of evil. By handling the snakes, it illustrates Christian victory over evil and Satan.

That's my understanding anyway...