PDA

View Full Version : Travel to Italy

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14

skatesindreams
06-17-2012, 03:41 PM
Angelskates, have a glorious trip; the experience of a lifetime!
Safe and happy travels.

Would you share the link to your blog, again?

Angelskates
06-17-2012, 03:41 PM
^^ Be careful in Rome. There are a lot of pick-pockets and beggars around the Trevi Fountain, other outdoor sites, and in the subways. The pick-pockets are VERY talented, so watch your purse/pockets.

I am careful everywhere. Beijing also has talented pickpockets and beggars ;).

Alos, I am confused, you have July 1 and 2 scheduled for Firenze and Siena/San Gimignano, then you skip to July 5 to leave for Venice. Will you be in Firenze from the 1st to the 5th? Does that mean you will have 2 days to explore Firenze, beyond the tours?

I'll be in Florence for 5 nights :)

An FYI, it's aout 470 steps to the top of the Campanile of the Duomo, but well worth it!

470 steps in nothing - the Great Wall is much more...I plan to climb to the top of the Duomo for sure!

Angelskates, have a glorious trip; the experience of a lifetime!
Safe and happy travels.

Would you share the link to your blog, again?

Sure. It's here (http://neatschinajourney.blogspot.com/).

cruisin
06-17-2012, 04:20 PM
470 steps in nothing - the Great Wall is much more...I plan to climb to the top of the Duomo for sure!

Glad you said that. I've climbed on the Great Wall twice. At least the steps in the Duomo are a lot more uniform. The dome is actually two domes, one inside the other, you actually go through the two domes. This was done to give it strength with less weight. Towards the top, in the cupola, it gets a little more difficult, if you're tall. As the dome curves, so does the ceiling. And getting out onto the platform around the campanile is a bit tight - basically a trap door. I've done it twice, loved it! One thing that is interesting, is to look at the perspective of the dome frescoes from the floor and then from the loggia level. You rarely get to see the intentional distortion, up close. As much as Brunelleschi's genius construction of the dome is amazing, Vasari's frescoes are equally amazing.

Have a wonderful time. I am so jealous! Will you keep your blog updated while you travel?

Angelskates
06-17-2012, 05:14 PM
Have a wonderful time. I am so jealous! Will you keep your blog updated while you travel?

I hope to :)

Diane Mars
06-17-2012, 09:01 PM
If you want to have a look, here's my photo album from Florence, when vacationing with my hubby in September 2010 : http://www.mgrecords.ch/Florence_2010/

Tinami Amori
06-17-2012, 10:54 PM
It's here (http://neatschinajourney.blogspot.com/).

Put some fotos if you get a chance! Have a great trip!:rollin:

(P.S. :rofl: at your blog's mention of Forza Italia... :rofl: that's Berlusconi's Party..... :rofl:)

Angelskates
06-18-2012, 01:00 AM
Put some fotos if you get a chance! Have a great trip!:rollin:

(P.S. :rofl: at your blog's mention of Forza Italia... :rofl: that's Berlusconi's Party..... :rofl:)

;) I definitely plan to take lots of photos. I'm debating taking my extra zoom though...I'll have to lug it around! I have a Nikon D70, and an extra Tamron zoom for it....opinions?

cruisin
06-18-2012, 01:04 AM
;) I definitely plan to take lots of photos. I'm debating taking my extra zoom though...I'll have to lug it around! I have a Nikon D70, and an extra Tamron zoom for it....opinions?

Don't bring it, you'll wish you hadn't.

kwanfan1818
06-18-2012, 02:01 AM
Have a wonderful, wonderful trip!

Angelskates
06-18-2012, 02:38 AM
Don't bring it, you'll wish you hadn't.

Why? I usually do the opposite and that's just in Beijing! In the grand scheme of things, it doesn't weight that much and if I don't want to take it around, I can always leave it at the hotel. Why do you think I'll regret taking it?

Have a wonderful, wonderful trip!

Thank you!

cruisin
06-18-2012, 05:17 AM
Only because it's fragile and you'll have to carry it. I always regret bringing my Nikon and lenses. A smaller, purse sized camera is so much easier. But, if you won't mind schlepping it, you should bring it.

alilou
06-18-2012, 06:58 AM
:cheer2: Bon Voyage :cheer2:

May you have the best holiday ever!

4rkidz
06-18-2012, 03:45 PM
Bon Voyage Angelskates.. Italy will always be my favourite vacation place and take all your camera gear as you will want to take amazing pics.. a year later I'm still enjoying all the pictures we took on our digital album that plays all the time in our living room..

Have a great time..:)

Angelskates
06-21-2012, 11:04 AM
After a delay in Munich, I am here! The hotel is really well located, comfie bed and great shower. I've been really sick today so haven't explored much yet. Updated my website and am now resting for another hour or so before going out to lunch and exploring!

I'm having dinner at Trastevere tomorrow night and Castelli Romani Saturday :)

Most disappointing thing (aside from being sick!) was that I didn't get an Italia stamp in my passport!!

cruisin
06-21-2012, 01:42 PM
In Italy, you have to ask for a stamp. :lol:

I hope you feel better. Did you bring antibiotics, just in case? I went to Paris a few years ago, shortly after having oral surgery. My doctor insisted that I take antibiotics, in case I got an infection. Well, my teeth were fine, but I wound up with a fever, swollen glands and a sore throat, the first day. It was fortuitous that I had the meds, and Advil, felt better in a day or so. Now, I bring them with me if I leave the country.