PDA

View Full Version : Travel to Italy

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14

alilou
06-22-2012, 08:38 PM
That's so sad. At least the trekking was good. (((((((horses)))))))

cruisin
06-22-2012, 11:55 PM
Did you know that *every* "painting/mural" in St Peter's is actually all mosaic tile?!!!!! The most intricate detailed mosaics made of half inch square tiles. Astonishing :eek:

Some even smaller than 1/5". It is brilliant! The modulation of color and tone is just impeccable for a medium which cannot be blended. One of the reasons you can take photos in St. Peters, is because the mosaics are not effected by the flash on cameras. Strangely, the Basilica San Marco (Venice) is also mosaic, but you cannot take photos inside of it.

:P My name is Anita, so everyone calls me Neat or Neats :P (but you may call me Angelskates :P)

I love horse riding, and Florence sounds like a great place to ride. Plus it's on my list of 33 things I want to do before I turn 33.

Where, in Florence will you go riding? I don't think I've ever seen horses in the city proper.

alilou
06-23-2012, 12:17 AM
Yes yes cruisin - the mosaics are amazing, as you say the modulation of tone and colour - on such an enormous scale - it almost beggars belief. How did they do that?
Here on my blog are close up photos that show the tiles. I really had no idea if the photos would come out or not - it's quite dark in there and you're not allowed to use flash.
Scroll down about 3/4 of the way. I was amazed at the detail I was able to see in the photos. I'm still blown away by it.
http://alisonanddon.wordpress.com/2011/11/25/rome-and-milan/

I didn't know San Marco is mosaic too. I want to go back there now and have another look :lol:

cruisin
06-23-2012, 01:01 AM
Yes yes cruisin - the mosaics are amazing, as you say the modulation of tone and colour - on such an enormous scale - it almost beggars belief. How did they do that?
Here on my blog are close up photos that show the tiles. I really had no idea if the photos would come out or not - it's quite dark in there and you're not allowed to use flash.
Scroll down about 3/4 of the way. I was amazed at the detail I was able to see in the photos. I'm still blown away by it.
http://alisonanddon.wordpress.com/2011/11/25/rome-and-milan/

I didn't know San Marco is mosaic too. I want to go back there now and have another look :lol:

The mosaics in San Marco are larger pieces, and the style is Byzantine, so less detailed. You can actually see a dramatic development in technique (modulation) from the earlier mosaics to the later ones. Though the later ones are still rather stiff and outlined. If you go upstairs in the Basilica, they have sections of some of the damaged mosaic up on the walls, they show how the walls are prepared for the mosaics. The illustration is sketched into the mortar and the mosaics placed into it. Most of the mosaics in the Basilica San Marco are made of Murano glass. There is a lot of gold, typical of the Byzantine period, which is actual gold. Behind the nave is the Palla d'Oro, it is a panel depicting the life of Christ in gold leaf and precious gems. It costs an extra Euro or two, to see, but it is well worth it.

I agree that the Pieta in St. Peter's is the best. Though I do like this one, in the Opera del Duomo (Florence) as well: http://www.flickr.com/photos/bootsintheoven/2198429400/
The St. Peter's Pieta, in my opinion is even more magnificent than the David (the Academia in Florence). The wonder of this Pieta is the sense of weight the figures have. It is not just two connected, carved figures. There is an actually sense of the Madonna holding, supporting, cradling, her child. The way that Christ is draped across her lap, creates a real feeling that he is heavy and lifeless, and she is truly supporting the weight of his body. The faces are also exquisite.

My favorite statue of the Renaissance is Donatello's Mary Magdalene. It is in the Opera del Duomo, in Florence. It is polychromed wood and I swear it has a soul. The pain and suffering that it exudes is exquisite. It is a devastated, wasted figure, that makes you cry. I loved it when I studied art history in school. but, the first time I saw it in real life, it almost knocked me over, it is that powerful.
http://klloaiza.wordpress.com/2011/02/16/mary-magdelene/

Your photos are wonderful. It's nice to see other people's photos. What they choose to shoot, as opposed to what you choose to shoot.

alilou
06-23-2012, 02:26 AM
ITA re the Pieta. The one in St Peter's still has me spellbound.
And Donatello's Mary Magdelene had me floored too. Such a powerful piece.
I studied art in school but it was such a long time ago I hardly remember any of it, so now I'm of the school "I know what I like" :lol:
Your knowledge is impressive.
Thanks re the photos.

skatesindreams
06-23-2012, 05:17 PM
crusin and alliou, I was a Humanities major in college.
I really appreciate your photos and discussion of all these "glories"!

Angelskates
06-25-2012, 02:31 PM
Tinami, I forgot to tell you that I didn't see any cats to feed, so I gave my food to someone I saw at the Colosseum yesterday who was going to Tivoli today - she just sent me some photos of cats munching happily. :) :cat:

I also wanted to say a huge THANKS for the suggestion of Grand Hotel Vesuvio; I arrived today and it is a fabulously swanky hotel. I was a little worried coming from the train station that it was a far from the town centre, but the views and the hotel are totally worth it, and there is a convenient free shuttle bus.

Tomorrow I go on the day trip up the Almalfi coast and then the next day I go to Pompeii, then the day after a full day at Capri and Anacapri.

Any recommendation on going up Vesuvio?

alilou
06-26-2012, 04:05 PM
Just got caught up on all your blog posts. What a great time you're having :cheer2:
AND a new camera! Isn't Italy amazing. Everywhere you go will be different.
Enjoy Positano/Amalfi/Capri. The boat ride alone to Capri is worth it.

(I do remember that Versuviana train from Naples to Sorrento :yikes: - but at least part way through we got seats which helped.)

skatesindreams
06-26-2012, 04:18 PM
I'm loving your blog and lovely pictures!

Nan
06-26-2012, 04:27 PM
I'm having a wonderful time catching up with your blog and photos. Thank you so much for sharing all this! :)

Angelskates
06-26-2012, 04:39 PM
Today was the Amalfi Coast...I took 600 photos...that's how much I loved it. Of course, I took 540 before freaking out because my *brand new* camera wouldn't take anymore and I discovered the default setting was on large photos :shuffle: That's why they've been taking so long to upload!

The decision not to got to Vesuvio and/or Ischia was made for me, as those tours don't run on Fridays, and Friday is the only day I have free. Off to have a siesta while my photos are uploading...glad you're enjoying the blog. :)

Angelskates
06-26-2012, 04:42 PM
(I do remember that Versuviana train from Naples to Capri :yikes: - but at least part way through we got seats which helped.)

I took the metro from Naples to Sorrento! :mad: Hated every second of the one hour and twenty minutes sardined into a hot subway, with luggage. My Beijing friends were stunned when I told them it was a far worse experience than Beijing subway in peak hour and 40 degree heat; only because it was so long...but still :yikes: I'm thinking of forking over the cash to take the ferry back to Naples, or a private car.

alilou
06-26-2012, 07:52 PM
I took the metro from Naples to Sorrento! :mad: Hated every second of the one hour and twenty minutes sardined into a hot subway, with luggage. My Beijing friends were stunned when I told them it was a far worse experience than Beijing subway in peak hour and 40 degree heat; only because it was so long...but still :yikes: I'm thinking of forking over the cash to take the ferry back to Naples, or a private car.

Of course in my post I meant the train to Sorrento, not Capri (and have now changed it). We didn't know there was a subway between Naples and Sorrento. And I'm glad of it. It sounds hellish. The train was crowded and stopped at 29 of 33 stations along the way, and took one and a half hours, but at least it was above ground and we got seats part way through.
We got a private car back to Naples. To go from Positano to Sorrento (to hook up with the train) by private car costs 50 euros. To go to Naples will be 90 (or perhaps 100). We decided that train ride in one direction was enough so forked out the 90 for a comfortable air conditioned ride all the way to Naples. Sometimes it's just worth spending the money.
Didn't know there was a ferry (or perhaps there wasn't when we were there in late October) but that sounds like a lovely way to get back.

Angelskates
06-27-2012, 12:55 PM
Confirmation of the private horse riding on July 4th! The riding will be a maximum of two hours on paths through the woods, olive tree groves, vineyards and "panoramic lines with sight on the suburb of St. Gimignano". The riding stables that I'll start at are located in Certado, which is one and a half hours from Florence. I am so excited!

Today I went to Pompeii for half a day. I'm glad I went, but didn't find it as fabulous as I thought it would be...it was the history that makes it interesting, other wise it's just ruins nowhere near as beautiful as the ones I saw in Rome (the Coloseum etc.) Half a day was enough, especially in the heat. I definitely found it interesting and beautiful - especially as I have taught it several times as part of a unit with my kids, but I think I've been too spoilt now!

alilou
06-29-2012, 05:44 PM
Loved yr posts on Sorrento/Positano/Amalfi/Capri :swoon:
Brought back many wonderful memories.
Have fun horse riding in Tuscany :cheer2: