PDA

View Full Version : Travel to Italy

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14

allezfred
06-22-2012, 09:45 AM
Not necessarily, I drove from Slovenia to Venice, in 2003. Before Slovenia was part of the area.

Well, I wasn't talking about 2003. I was talking about now.

Angelskates
06-22-2012, 01:10 PM
I will take something for the cats, Tinami!

And I will be sure to report back on if I get a stamp on my exit from Milan ;)

Today was overwhelming. I went on my first tour, to the Vatican Museums, Sistine Chapel and St. Peter's. I spent the whole time in awe. I took 440 photos and ran out of space on my Nikon, so starting using my iPhone. :lol: The tour guide was fabulous.

I am convinced that even the most comfortable shoes in the world become uncomfortable after walking half a day in Rome! :shuffle:

cruisin
06-22-2012, 01:16 PM
Well, I wasn't talking about 2003. I was talking about now.

True :)

skatesindreams
06-22-2012, 02:48 PM

Today was overwhelming. I went on my first tour, to the Vatican Museums, Sistine Chapel and St. Peter's. I spent the whole time in awe. I took 440 photos and ran out of space on my Nikon, so starting using my iPhone. :lol: The tour guide was fabulous.

I am convinced that even the most comfortable shoes in the world become uncomfortable after walking half a day in Rome! :shuffle:

I'm glad that you are enjoying your trip so much.

Angelskates
06-22-2012, 04:08 PM
I'm glad that you are enjoying your trip so much.

Thank you! I wanted this trip for a real break, a time to reflect on things and think about my future and my past. It's been emotional already, but really good for me as well. :)

alilou
06-22-2012, 04:18 PM

Isn't it all completely gob smacking!!!!! I also was in awe, and unable to find enough superlatives to describe all 3 places.

How were the crowds in the cattle pen......err......I mean the Sistine?

Did you know that *every* "painting/mural" in St Peter's is actually all mosaic tile?!!!!! The most intricate detailed mosaics made of half inch square tiles. Astonishing :eek:

Angelskates
06-22-2012, 04:20 PM
Isn't it all completely gob smacking!!!!! I also was in awe, and unable to find enough superlatives to describe all 3 places.

How were the crowds in the cattle pen......err......I mean the Sistine?

Did you know that *every* "painting/mural" in St Peter's is actually all mosaic tile?!!!!! The most intricate detailed mosaics made of half inch square tiles. Astonishing :eek:

Actually even though there were a lot of people, I never felt it was crowded. I was almost in my own little world...or maybe I'm just used to crowds living in Beijing and all ;)

Yes, I learnt that about the mosaics today! AND that the white statues were originally brightly coloured! Colour me stunned!

At the moment I am in the process of organising a horse riding trip in Florence!

alilou
06-22-2012, 04:29 PM
Have fun horse riding! Wow! In Florence? How fabulous.

Loving your blog. Brings back lots of memories, and also feeling your joy. Neat :lol:

Angelskates
06-22-2012, 04:33 PM
Have fun horse riding! Wow! In Florence? How fabulous.

Loving your blog. Brings back lots of memories, and also feeling your joy. Neat :lol:

:P My name is Anita, so everyone calls me Neat or Neats :P (but you may call me Angelskates :P)

I love horse riding, and Florence sounds like a great place to ride. Plus it's on my list of 33 things I want to do before I turn 33.

alilou
06-22-2012, 04:37 PM
:P My name is Anita, so everyone calls me Neat or Neats :P

I love horse riding, and Florence sounds like a great place to ride. Plus it's on my list of 33 things I want to do before I turn 33.

Yeah, I got it. Not laughing at you, laughing at my own (lame) joke.

Also love horse riding but haven't done it for yrs. Think my next rides will be elephant, followed by camel in India later this year.

Angelskates
06-22-2012, 04:39 PM
Yeah, I got it. Not laughing at you, laughing at my own (lame) joke.

Oh. Gotcha. ;)

Also love horse riding but haven't done it for yrs. Think my next rides will be elephant, followed by camel in India later this year.

Wow, awesome! I also haven't done it for years, which is why I want to do it. :)

milanessa
06-22-2012, 05:11 PM
! I also haven't done it for years, which is why I want to do it. :)

Ooooh. You're gonna be sore. :lol: Enjoy!

Angelskates
06-22-2012, 05:37 PM
Ooooh. You're gonna be sore. :lol: Enjoy!

The last time was probably 2003, in Gansu Province I did a 5 night horse trek. Previous to that it was probably also 10 or so years, but I did fine. That was a wild experience (sleep in tents in yak country and basically riding several hours a day). I'm hoping this one will be more chilled :) It will definitely only be one day!

alilou
06-22-2012, 06:32 PM
The last time was probably 2003, in Gansu Province I did a 5 night horse trek. Previous to that it was probably also 10 or so years, but I did fine. That was a wild experience (sleep in tents in yak country and basically riding several hours a day). I'm hoping this one will be more chilled :) It will definitely only be one day!
OMG that sounds so awesome! I would love to do that (Mr alilou probably not so much :lol: )

I do think China is in our future. I keep mentioning it to him. Maybe in a year or so.

Angelskates
06-22-2012, 06:38 PM
OMG that sounds so awesome! I would love to do that (Mr alilou probably not so much :lol: )

I do think China is in our future. I keep mentioning it to him. Maybe in a year or so.

Actually, although the trek was awesome, I would never do it again. They treated the horses terribly :( And our car was carjacked on the way back and we were left stranded on the side of the road with no signal on our mobiles, in what was a planned attempt (that worked) to get money out of foreigners. The horse trek was the only good thing about the trip, and I'd still never do it again because of the way they treated the horses.