PDA

View Full Version : Michelle Kwan to be one of Olympic torch bearers

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Lucy25
05-29-2012, 09:22 PM
I am on my ipad and can not get the links to copy, but I have received several google alerts that Michelle is one of 22 Americans chosen by Coca Cola to carry the torch in the relay around Oxford, England July 9-11. When I get to my lap top, I will post a link (unless someone beats me to it!).

skatesindreams
05-29-2012, 09:26 PM
Here's the release:
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/coca-cola-selects-22-inspiring-americans-to-carry-the-olympic-flame-in-the-london-2012-olympic-torch-relay-2012-05-29

Lucy25
05-29-2012, 09:32 PM
Boy, you're fast! Just beat me to it. Thanks :)

This summer, 22 outstanding Americans selected by Coca-Cola will light up the streets of Oxford, England as they carry the Olympic Flame in the London 2012 Olympic Torch Relay. Among them will be 10 teenagers from across the United States, Olympic figure skater Michelle Kwan, Olympic swimmer Summer Sanders and renowned fitness icon Jake Steinfeld of Body by Jake(R).

Wyliefan
05-29-2012, 09:33 PM
Good for Michelle! :cheer2:

centerstage01
05-29-2012, 10:32 PM
Congratulations Michelle!! What a wonderful honor!

Sylvia
05-29-2012, 10:37 PM
From the Coca-Cola press release linked above:

Meet the Torchbearers

Coca-Cola proudly invited two Olympic gold medalists to carry the Flame in the 2012 Olympic Torch Relay.

-- Summer Sanders, (Park City, UT): Summer won four medals at the 1992 Olympic Games in Barcelona -- two gold, one silver and one bronze. Since retiring from swimming, she's appeared as a commentator, analyst and host on all four major networks. She is also an ambassador for UNICEF and Right to Play.

-- Michelle Kwan, (Washington, DC): Michelle is the most decorated figure skater in U.S. history, winning five World Championships, nine U.S. National Championships and two Olympic medals. She is currently a U.S. Public Diplomacy Envoy, meeting with young people worldwide to discuss social and educational issues, and is a member of President Obama's President's Council on Fitness, Sports & Nutrition.
^^^ They got it right here. :cool:

kwanfan1818
05-30-2012, 12:14 AM
It's a smart marketing strategy: say it enough times, and people will believe it, especially since so many of them already do.

AlisonS
05-30-2012, 12:26 AM
I read right over that OGM comment about Michelle and didn't even blink! That is too funny, I was going right along with it even though I know better! (slapping forehead!)

attyfan
05-30-2012, 01:57 AM
Congrats to the honorees. Is this the first time a large group of Americans have been invited to carry the torch in an Olys not hosted by the US?

Garden Kitty
05-30-2012, 02:52 AM
Things go better with Michelle!

foreverkwanfan
05-30-2012, 03:18 AM
5 world championships, Olympic silver and bronze. 9 national championships. I think that qualifies her to be mistaken for an Olympic champion. So her Olympic medals may not be the right color, everyone knows who she is, still, to this day. Just the fact that she is chosen to be a torch bearer speaks volumes.
Congratulations Michelle. :)

Sparks
05-30-2012, 03:20 AM
Things go better with Michelle!

:swoon:

ChelleC
05-30-2012, 03:23 AM
Congrats Michelle!

Really
05-30-2012, 04:11 AM
While it's a neat honour and all, why would Americans (or anyone else who doesn't live in the host country) be invited to carry the torch within the host country when it's not the US?

CoyoteChris
05-30-2012, 04:21 AM
While it's a neat honour and all, why would Americans (or anyone else who doesn't live in the host country) be invited to carry the torch within the host country when it's not the US?
Its all about the bucks....
"More than 90 percent of the Coca-Cola system's investment in the Olympic Games is directed to athlete development, supporting National Olympic Committees and assisting the staging of the Games."

Wonder how much they would give the USFSA if everyone on the team wore Coke jackets?