PDA

View Full Version : Need a Desktop for a Second Job <groan>

soxxy
05-29-2012, 02:22 PM
Guidance please, because I want to purchase one pretty economically.

I need a desktop - the work cannot be done on a laptop. It's will be typing, typing, typing, looking at a few videos, filling out forms. I'll not be running multiple programs simultaneously, nothing fancy.

Should I buy new? What prices can I expect for a basic model?

Thanks for any advice.

Aceon6
05-29-2012, 02:53 PM
Cheapest - hook your laptop up to a monitor and external keyboard.

Next cheapest - Any of the "special deals" or "home and student" bundles from HP, Dell or Acer. If you have a Best Buy or Staples nearby, you can check them out there and then compare the online vs. in store prices.

If you're going to be staring at the screen for more than 2 hours at a time, get the best monitor you can afford, then the best keyboard. Any old CPU should work.

joeperryfan
05-29-2012, 03:42 PM
I second Aceon6's advice, get an external monitor and keyboard, it will be cheaper, less space consuming and you won't end up with a cheap junk computer that you don't really need.

soxxy
05-29-2012, 03:56 PM
I don't want to 'involve' my laptop in this....I'll be working hours at a time and it can overheat.

Aceon6
05-29-2012, 04:15 PM
I don't want to 'involve' my laptop in this....I'll be working hours at a time and it can overheat.

If that's the case, weigh the cost of a laptop upgrade vs. a second machine. The monitor is the most expensive component and you'll need one no matter which way you go.

If you decide to go with a full setup, expect to pay an extra $100 for a better monitor than the one shown with most bundles.

TheGirlCanSkate
05-29-2012, 05:51 PM
I wouldn't buy used! I'd go with the cheapest and a warranty (check the Sunday ads). For hours at a time some might want the biggest monitor they can afford, but I found it too much for my eyes and went to a more normal scale.

soxxy
05-29-2012, 07:19 PM
If that's the case, weigh the cost of a laptop upgrade vs. a second machine. The monitor is the most expensive component and you'll need one no matter which way you go.

I didn't know this....I have a couple of older monitors just collecting dust, but they work fine. So is it a tower I should buy? What would you (all) consider paying based on the one type of activity I plan to use it for? My main consideration with this is that I'll be using it hour after hour after hour (in what's likely to be brutal heat).