PDA

View Full Version : Let's Talk Movies v.19! (Classics...Time-Travel...Bollywood - We Talk About It All!)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

PeterG
06-25-2012, 05:37 AM
I watched 'Straw Dogs (2011)' on Friday night. It had been roasted by the critics, so I will have to see the Sam Peckinpah original from '71 with Dustin Hoffman

How was it? I had the urge to see it, so I checked the library website...and they don't have it. So I checked another website that lists all the libraries in BC...and nobody has it! :mad: I was in the mood for some cute man ogling! :lol:

Peter, everyone: Your opinion is needed as I find myself liking a movie that seemed to be panned. What did I miss or what did everyone else miss?

The film: Coppola's Marie Antoinette

I think I saw this after it got a lot of criticism, so I did not expect much. But I quite liked it! I thought it was good fun. Can't remember anything I did not like about it. :40beers:

(And what a cast: Kirsten Dunst, Jason Schwartzman, Judy Davis, Rip Torn, Rose Byrne, Molly Shannon :cheer2:, Shirley Henderson, Danny Houston, Marianne Faithfull, Steve Coogan and a pre-fame Tom Hardy!)

Cachoo
06-25-2012, 05:50 AM
Thanks Peter--I like Steve Coogan a lot and was surprised to see him. I did not recognize many on the list.

Artemis@BC
06-25-2012, 10:32 PM
10/10 Tyrannosaur (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvyqXFmV-LI) - A wonderful movie written and directed by Paddy Considine known best as an actor (In America, Cinderella Man, Hot Fuzz, The Bourne Ultimatum). And man, does he knock it out of the park with his first-time directing. It certainly doesn’t hurt that the two leads are stunningly amazing (Peter Mullan who was in War Horse, HP and the Deathly Hallows Pt. One and Children of Men, along with Olivia Colman who was in The Iron Lady and Hot Fuzz). Warning: there are a number of violent scenes in this movie, but hopefully that won’t scare you off as this movie is about two people trying valiantly to cling to their humanity in spite of their situation (or themselves).

Watched this on Saturday night, and I'm still reeling from its awesomeness. It's a pretty impressive piece of writing and directing that a movie that begins with a man killing his own dog could have me rooting so hard for that same man within just a few minutes. Mind you, I was predisposed to root for Joseph because of Peter Mullan -- he excels at playing damaged-but-not-irredeemable characters. (I think my favourite film of his was On a Clear Day.) Anyway, completely amazing film -- very much in the same tone as a Ken Loach, but tighter and more viewer-friendly. I hope Considine has more stories like this in him.

I also watched:

Too Big to Fail -- not bad, and a great cast doing a good job of showing the sequence of events. Impossible not to compare it to Margin Call, though, which as a better film IMO (perhaps an unfair comparison, since Margin Call was fictionalized).

War Horse -- better than I expected, though still too long and somehow managing that unique Spielbergness of being too romantizied about war and horribly violent at the same time. (Not quite Private Ryan-level violence, but pretty close in places.) I had to close my eyes during Joey's mad-panic-ending-up-in-barbed-wire scene. The stage version is still infinitely better though.

galaxygirl
06-25-2012, 11:10 PM
I'm in the middle of watching The King's Speech (I started it last night and will finish it tonight). I had reservations about watching it. I wasn't really in the mood and my mom said that it was just ok. Of course this is the same woman who thought that The Lives of Others was just ok. :drama: So remembering this important piece of information, I popped it into the DVR last night and really enjoyed it. Though I've only seen the first half, I'm guessing I'll enjoy the second half just as much.

ETA: I finished The King's Speech. It was very good, though it was no The Lives of Others. ;)

peibeck
06-25-2012, 11:19 PM
I saw "Brave" last night. Another Pixar winner! Thankfully they did not give away too much of the plot in preview I saw. If you are an animation or Pixar fan I think you'll love it.

galaxygirl
06-25-2012, 11:41 PM
I saw "Brave" last night. Another Pixar winner! Thankfully they did not give away too much of the plot in preview I saw. If you are an animation or Pixar fan I think you'll love it.

Oh, that's good to hear! I had read a bad review of it (one of the blogs I follow, don't remember which one) and was disappointed because I really wanted to see it.

Wyliefan
06-26-2012, 12:14 AM
TCM's Summer under the Stars lineup is out, and it looks really good. Especially Claude Rains day, Jack Lemmon day, and the Gene Kelly centennial celebration! :swoon:

http://cinema-fanatic.com/2012/06/25/tcms-summer-under-the-stars-celebrates-10th-anniversary/

PeterG
06-26-2012, 12:53 AM
Of course this is the same woman who thought that The Lives of Others was just ok.

I loved that movie! :cheer:

Three movies I've recently seen that I recommend:

10/10 Win Win (Paul Giamatti, Bobby Cannavale, Amy Ryan, Jeffrey Tambor, Burt Young and Margo Martindale) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPJOmH9g8WM) - Wow...I loved this movie! The makers of the movie were lucky to have found Alex Shaffer as the co-lead along with Giamatti (who's never been more better, with a more endearing role, lacking very little of the nebbish traits his characters often have). Shaffer is so charming and wonderful in my eyes...I wanted to adopt him shortly after he appeared on screen!. A perfectly made film and one you should all see immediately. :D

9.5/10 The Major and the Minor (1942, Ginger Rogers and Ray Milland) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yq6kgy-chlk) - I'm admitting that the only thing I knew about Ginger Rogers before seeing this movie was that she was the chick who danced beside Fred Astaire. I had no idea she could carry a movie so effortlessly and charmingly. This one really took me by surprise. I read on wikipedia that she won an Oscar for Kitty Foyle. Should I search for that one?

8/10 Mao's Last Dancer. Quite an enjoyable film, although towards the end the writing becomes borderline TV-Movie of the Week. Beautiful lead, who is quite the adequate dancer. (Kidding!!) :lol:

emason
06-26-2012, 01:04 AM
TCM's Summer under the Stars lineup is out, and it looks really good. Especially Claude Rains day, Jack Lemmon day, and the Gene Kelly centennial celebration! :swoon:

http://cinema-fanatic.com/2012/06/25/tcms-summer-under-the-stars-celebrates-10th-anniversary/

Thanks for posting. The first thing that jumps out at me is a whole day of Toshiro Mifune. Love, love, love Throne of Blood.

Really
06-26-2012, 01:21 AM
I saw Rock of Ages the first weekend it came out, and it was a hoot. Completely campy, OTT, but the music was fine (yes, Cruise *can* rock -- and sing!), and it reminded me of how I felt watching Grease when it first came out. It was just fun. I couldn't believe some woman brought a kid who looked to to be about 8 into the theatre -- I'm sure she had some 'splainin' to do after some of the scenes!

If you're looking for fun, and no deep thought-provoking plot, then it's worth a look.

Wyliefan
06-26-2012, 02:09 AM
This one really took me by surprise. I read on wikipedia that she won an Oscar for Kitty Foyle. Should I search for that one?

Only if you're a Ginger Rogers completist. It's pretty bad. Scenery-chewing out the wazoo, and the most annoying narration (second-person narration, for heaven's sake) I've ever heard.

Grannyfan
06-26-2012, 03:18 AM

Thanks for the link. As much as I love TCM, I never think to look at their web site. Claude Rains AND James Mason--two of the best speaking voices in movie history.

Of the women, I look forward most to Myrna Loy and Irene Dunne. Best Years of Our Lives is such a great movie.

Artemis@BC
06-26-2012, 04:34 AM
10/10 Win Win (Paul Giamatti, Bobby Cannavale, Amy Ryan, Jeffrey Tambor, Burt Young and Margo Martindale) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPJOmH9g8WM) - Wow...I loved this movie! ...

Another ITA from me, Peter, I loved that movie too. We obviously have extremely similar tastes in film.

skatesindreams
06-26-2012, 11:40 PM
Of the women, I look forward most to Myrna Loy and Irene Dunne. Best Years of Our Lives is such a great movie.

As many great performances as Irene Dunne gave, TCM could have included 10 more films to honor her!

mrr50
06-28-2012, 02:24 PM
Only if you're a Ginger Rogers completist. It's pretty bad. Scenery-chewing out the wazoo, and the most annoying narration (second-person narration, for heaven's sake) I've ever heard.

I think I remember reading that it was a case of 'she got that Oscar because she lost out the year she should have had one'