PDA

View Full Version : Let's Talk Movies v.19! (Classics...Time-Travel...Bollywood - We Talk About It All!)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

jl22aries
06-22-2012, 05:55 AM
PeterG, may I ask what you didn't enjoy about The Royal Tenanbaums?

Moonrise is still very classically "Anderson" in aesthetic, and he's as attentive as ever to prop details, but it all serves the story beautifully. And of all the Anderson movie's I have seen, this one has the most classical narrative of them all; a protagonist, obstacles and a goal, a climax, and a love story. If you enjoyed adventure stories as a child, think Bridge to Terabithia and the ilk, you'll love this movie. Just with some delicious dark comedy thrown in. I mean, I guffawed.

Regarding how unfortunate it is that so many theatres fail to play the smaller movies, I say you walk right in and ask to talk with your local theatre manager, and ask them why they're not playing Moonrise Kingdom, or Safety Not Guaranteed, or the new Marina Abromovic Documentary, ....

Liljen, have you seen any other good movies lately?

oleada
06-22-2012, 06:04 AM
I agree with IA that the story in Moonrise Kingdom is quite traditional. But the framing, the humor, the music - it's very Anderson and it all works to make the traditional story quite unique and wonderful.

I saw Safety Not Guaranteed this week. I liked it - but it was good, not great. I am not a fan of the ending. Maybe I'm a cynic, but I would've have preferred for the time travel not to work. Mark Duplass was good, but I fail to see what would make his character appealing. The entire time I was thinking, "Girl, he ran into someone's house with his car! RUN!" and diagnosing him as schizophrenic :shuffle:.While Jake Johnson was probably my favorite part (though I'm biased, because I love New Girl), it seems like his story line was a little disconnected from the rest of the movie.

olympic
06-22-2012, 12:50 PM
Watched 'Born on the 4th of July' on cable. Believe it or not, I've never seen it! Probably, Cruise's best movie and I'm not at all a fan of his.

During the theme music, I could only think of Nancy Kerrigan :D

VALuvsMKwan
06-22-2012, 01:37 PM
Watched 'Born on the 4th of July' on cable. Believe it or not, I've never seen it! Probably, Cruise's best movie and I'm not at all a fan of his.

During the theme music, I could only think of Nancy Kerrigan :D

^^
This.

Somehow I never when seeing any of her performances saw what the source of the music was (duh), and it wasn't until I was listening to the local NPR station and heard it and made sure to listen until the end of the piece for them to name it that I found out what it was. I rushed out and got the soundtrack CD that day.

LilJen
06-22-2012, 06:59 PM
Liljen, have you seen any other good movies lately?

I have not. Obligatory attendance at The Avengers, which precisely met my low expectations :) and had some good moments.

I forgot to add how delightful the MK soundtrack was. I recognized all the Benjamin Britten (mid-20th-century Brit composer) music right off the bat, and it was employed really well. There was also a bunch of Hank Williams (Sr), which I didn't recognize.

PeterG
06-22-2012, 08:40 PM
PeterG, may I ask what you didn't enjoy about The Royal Tenanbaums?

Weird people behaving in ways that I have not seen any humans do. Strangeness out the ying-yang, boring storyline. It's like Anderson was trying to show how avant-garde he was or something, like Tim Burton on acid. (And Tim Burton is sometimes pretty out there already.) I'm not positive I even finished watching it, but usually if I start something I finish it. I probably played solitaire or cleaned the living room or something waiting for it to end. I'm sure it did not come soon enough... :(

jl22aries
06-22-2012, 11:19 PM
^^ Fair enough :)

Moonrise is quirky, the characters are quirky, the music is quirky, but quirk can be wonderful and magical when its supportive of theme or helps move the story. I forgive Moonrise for its eccentricities because it's not just style sans substance. But alas, I totally respect your movie going wants and Moonrise just isn't going to be for you. I just hope others may venture to see it.

Did you ever see Midnight in Paris? Enjoy it? Because that movie comes to mind as being hella stylish, demanding a suspension of disbelief, and one could say replete with literary, historic, and art world references that could be called out as pretentious. And I loved it, for its beautiful story, its magic, its humour, and Paris and Romance...

I saw Avengers too and had an enjoyable movie going night. I sat behind these two ladies who provided a running commentary but they were so ernest and cute, it was impossible to hate on them. Say, a scene with a big weapon, and one lady would say "oh that's a big gun!", or RDJ would provide a classic zinger, and she'd repeat it verbatim. The live crowd has such an impact on my movie going experiences, I say.

Buzz
06-23-2012, 10:08 PM
Saw Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter and liked it. No complaints about acting, direction visuals, etc. my complaints has to do with the story itself or rather the way it toyed with history. But then again it is based on a book that made Lincoln into a vampire hunter. LOL. Oh yeah just one more thing I have to say...GO. MARY!!! :cheer2:

Cachoo
06-23-2012, 10:44 PM
I watched a movie with Glenn Close and Elizabeth Banks called Heights this afternoon. I give Close credit for taking on characters that are often difficult to like and I rarely see Banks in films that are not comedies and I enjoyed her in this.

PeterG
06-24-2012, 02:31 AM
I watched a movie with Glenn Close and Elizabeth Banks called Heights this afternoon. I give Close credit for taking on characters that are often difficult to like and I rarely see Banks in films that are not comedies and I enjoyed her in this.

I liked that movie! It also had James Spader... :swoon: And Jesse Bradford... :grope: And Isabella Rossellini... :blah:

Cachoo
06-24-2012, 05:47 AM
I liked that movie! It also had James Spader... :swoon: And Jesse Bradford... :grope: And Isabella Rossellini... :blah:

I noticed it was Merchant/Ivory but I believe one of them had passed. I was a little shocked that they chose a contemporary play to adapt but it was well done imho. Ita about Jesse Bradford--it seems he gets his share of the annoying know-it-all guys but I liked his character a lot. (as did others :D)

Hey--I kept trying to place Spader and couldn't--I think it was James Marsden. Ok I can go to sleep now.

olympic
06-24-2012, 02:40 PM
I watched 'Straw Dogs (2011)' on Friday night. It had been roasted by the critics, so I will have to see the Sam Peckinpah original from '71 with Dustin Hoffman

Cachoo
06-24-2012, 08:58 PM
Peter, everyone: Your opinion is needed as I find myself liking a movie that seemed to be panned. What did I miss or what did everyone else miss?

The film: Coppola's Marie Antoinette

Discuss
and Thank You.

RobbieB
06-24-2012, 09:42 PM
Only 2 on that list that I'll be at opening night for: The Dark Knight & the Bourne movie (although, I'm a little apprehensive about this one...it's either gonna be awesome or horrible).

---
R. Bryant
Rhode Island bus charters (http://www.trailways.com/team-trailways/motorcoach-listing-companies/companies/flagship)

Cachoo
06-24-2012, 10:52 PM
Ok it is over: What an odd experience with the modern music combined with history. I like looking at it and I liked Dunst. And I could certainly understand why the peasants rebelled given that they had to fund that lifestyle. But I found it hard to blame on a woman who wasn't even French. Interesting film; I'll watch it again.