PDA

View Full Version : Let's Talk Movies v.19! (Classics...Time-Travel...Bollywood - We Talk About It All!)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

immoimeme
06-18-2012, 05:00 PM
I requested "Idiocracy" a million years ago and I'm STILL number 4 on the waiting list. Do I dare call whoever "lost" it an idiot? :P

DarrellH
06-18-2012, 06:10 PM
Re-watched "Portrait of Jennie" this past weekend. Still love it!

PeterG
06-18-2012, 07:30 PM
My movies watched this past week:

10/10 Tyrannosaur (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvyqXFmV-LI) - A wonderful movie written and directed by Paddy Considine known best as an actor (In America, Cinderella Man, Hot Fuzz, The Bourne Ultimatum). And man, does he knock it out of the park with his first-time directing. It certainly doesn’t hurt that the two leads are stunningly amazing (Peter Mullan who was in War Horse, HP and the Deathly Hallows Pt. One and Children of Men, along with Olivia Colman who was in The Iron Lady and Hot Fuzz). Warning: there are a number of violent scenes in this movie, but hopefully that won’t scare you off as this movie is about two people trying valiantly to cling to their humanity in spite of their situation (or themselves).

9/10 Head On (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTpdkIXF11Q) (1998) – Okay, my main interest in this movie was the hotness of lead Alex Dimitriades (and LORD, is he hot!!). But the movie itself is very good as well, showing us the life of a disillusioned youth trying to find his way while struggling with culture and sexuality. I’ve wanted to see this for years and I wasn’t disappointed.

9/10 The Corn Is Green (1945, Bette Davis) - Great script with a stunningly strong, intelligent female lead. Plus Joan Lorring as Bessie Watty does some scenery-chewing that would do...umm...Bette Davis proud! :lol:

7/10 After.Life – I would have rated this lower, but the one DVD extra, a “Making Of” feature, the director talks about the movie, which clarified a lot of the story to me. This movie bombed at the box office, I expect to some extent because it was released about six months after the death of Liam Neeson’s wife Natasha Richardson. Don’t know why the studio did not hold back the release longer. But it’s a well-made film, but somewhat slow moving. I was able to follow it quite well at double speed for most of the movie.

5/10 Meek’s Cutoff – This is one of the most beautiful movies I have ever seen. Shot after shot, it is stunning to look at. However, I did watch most of this movie on DVD at double speed. And sometimes I hit the button to double the speed not realizing that I was already on double speed…that is how slow-moving this movie is. Plus, there is no ending. After spending 90 minutes with this group of people and wondering if they will survivor or not, the movie ends...and since there is no ending, we will never know. Thanks. A lot.

Artemis@BC
06-18-2012, 07:55 PM
10/10 Tyrannosaur (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvyqXFmV-LI) - A wonderful movie written and directed by Paddy Considine known best as an actor (In America, Cinderella Man, Hot Fuzz, The Bourne Ultimatum). And man, does he knock it out of the park with his first-time directing. ...

That one just came up in the library queue for me, picking it up in the next couple of days. I'm looking forward to it!

Wyliefan
06-21-2012, 01:34 AM
The Anna Karenina trailer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPGLRO3fZnQ) is out. Can't say I like the looks of it very much.

(Raise your hand if you remembered some of Tanith's expressions when Anna fell back on the bed with that :eek: look on her face. :slinkaway )

Cachoo
06-21-2012, 02:52 AM
My problem is I like the look of it too much. I had the same reaction to The Great Gatsby trailer. Both movies may be all window dressing but I will go and see them because I'm dazzled by the scenery. I hope both films have more dimension and substance.

Wyliefan
06-21-2012, 03:07 AM
I do think it's pretty . . . but the dialogue bothers me. It doesn't sound like Tolstoy by way of Stoppard. It sounds like every romantic cliche Hollywood has ever spouted.

Well, maybe they only chose the inane lines to put in the trailer.

LilJen
06-21-2012, 03:45 AM
MOONRISE KINGDOM. Go see it if you can. Excellent flick!

Cachoo
06-21-2012, 05:52 PM
If only our local cinema would get the indies or smaller films faster--that is if they get them at all. There are a number I want to see this summer.

Regarding the "summer" blockbusters: I did not think I would have any interest in seeing Abraham Lincoln hunting vampires but I just watched a 15 minute preview on HBO and I have to say the film looks damned good. So I guess I'll be watching my second fave president (after FDR) kill vamps.

PeterG
06-21-2012, 09:08 PM
MOONRISE KINGDOM. Go see it if you can. Excellent flick!

When I went with a friend to see Prometheus, this is the other one he suggested. My response was something like "Wes Anderson? Very funny..." (meaning not that he is a comic genius, but that after seeing The Royal Tenenbaums, I am scared to see any movie related to him in any way).

I thought Rushmore was decent, but the trailers for The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou, The Darjeeling Limited and Moonrise Kingdom look like more of what we got with the Royal Tenenbaums. No thank you... :blah:

Artemis@BC
06-21-2012, 09:23 PM
When I went with a friend to see Prometheus, this is the other one he suggested. My response was something like "Wes Anderson? Very funny..." (meaning not that he is a comic genius, but that after seeing The Royal Tenenbaums, I am scared to see any movie related to him in any way).

I thought Rushmore was decent, but the trailers for The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou, The Darjeeling Limited and Moonrise Kingdom look like more of what we got with the Royal Tenenbaums. No thank you... :blah:

Every review I've read or heard says that Moonrise Kingdom is by far Anderson's best work. I mildly enjoyed his previous movies, but they weren't my favourite. This one, however, looks much more like something I'd enjoy.

Cachoo
06-21-2012, 09:31 PM
What I loved about Rushmore was this boy's imagination and chutzpah. The plays he did still make me laugh (kids doing Serpico???) I hope we get that sort of creativity with the kids in MK.

PeterG
06-22-2012, 12:36 AM
Every review I've read or heard says that Moonrise Kingdom is by far Anderson's best work. I mildly enjoyed his previous movies, but they weren't my favourite. This one, however, looks much more like something I'd enjoy.

But to me, that's like showering a child with compliments for producing their best poopy ever. :lol:

mrr50
06-22-2012, 01:04 AM
If only our local cinema would get the indies or smaller films faster--that is if they get them at all. There are a number I want to see this summer.

Regarding the "summer" blockbusters: I did not think I would have any interest in seeing Abraham Lincoln hunting vampires but I just watched a 15 preview on HBO and I have to say the film looks damned good. So I guess I'll be watching my second fave president (after FDR) kill vamps.

Never thought I would be interested either but it seems crazily interesting

LilJen
06-22-2012, 03:44 AM
But to me, that's like showering a child with compliments for producing their best poopy ever. :lol:

The only other Wes Anderson film I've seen is The Royal Tenenbaums. It was much more disturbing than Moonrise Kingdom. Yeah, there's dysfunction in MK but not at ALL on the order of TRT. MK (that's NOT the Kween, people!) had a sweetness to it overall, I felt. TRT did not.