PDA

View Full Version : Let's Talk Movies v.19! (Classics...Time-Travel...Bollywood - We Talk About It All!)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

jl22aries
06-12-2012, 09:01 AM
The demographic of Academy members and voters is, alas, incredibly limited. Think: white privileged male over 50. It's a fine demo, but wouldn't it be nice to have a wider range of voices.

clarie
06-13-2012, 02:25 AM
We went to see "Hysteria" tonight.........Some great belly laughs produced for sure. I highly recommend this comedy base on a true story.

Garden Kitty
06-13-2012, 04:55 PM
Just skimmed this thread, so if I missed this, I apologize, but did anyone post the 100th Anniversary of Paramount Studio photo? (http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2012/07/paramount-pictures-100th-anniversary-photo) Just cursor over people to see more detail and their names.

olympic
06-13-2012, 06:04 PM
Rewatched 'Muriel's Wedding'. Love this movie.

An irresponsible, not well-liked, socially inept young woman matures and takes ownership of her life with bits of humor and drama embedded in the movie. The ABBA music makes it even more fun to watch.

Grannyfan
06-13-2012, 06:56 PM
I plan to watch Paper Moon again in the next couple of days. I love this movie. Ryan and Tatum O'Neal are so good in it, and the Depression-era look is perfect. But it's Madeline Kahn's scenes that are my favorite part. She's brilliant.

Artemis@BC
06-13-2012, 07:17 PM
I plan to watch Paper Moon again in the next couple of days. I love this movie. Ryan and Tatum O'Neal are so good in it, and the Depression-era look is perfect. But it's Madeline Kahn's scenes that are my favorite part. She's brilliant.

One of my all-time favourite films too. I try not to think about how Tatum's & Ryan's relationship soured later ... :(

peibeck
06-13-2012, 07:18 PM
I saw "Prometheus" this weekend, and other than the great visuals and some decent performances (especially Michael Fassbender), I thought the movie was pretty awful. :shuffle: Maybe I might have ignored all the plot holes and unanswered existential questions if the production team bothered to develop the characters enough to care about them.

PeterG
06-13-2012, 08:52 PM
Just skimmed this thread, so if I missed this, I apologize, but did anyone post the 100th Anniversary of Paramount Studio photo? (http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2012/07/paramount-pictures-100th-anniversary-photo) Just cursor over people to see more detail and their names.

What a great photo! We talked about a similar one done last year, I'm thinking it was done just after the Academy Awards? This one is just as good. :40beers: I think Kate Hudson looks the best, Richard Gere and Jane Fonda look great, too. Some are looking a bit ragged, though (Billy Dee Williams, Michael York and Zachary Quinto). They caught Simon Pegg with a rather displeased look on his face! :lol: And is it just me who thinks Jason Reitman is HAWT?? :grope: :D

NinjaTurtles
06-13-2012, 08:58 PM
I have a pair of free tickets to see a screening of "That's My Boy" tonight, I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not :shuffle: .

PeterG
06-13-2012, 09:02 PM
I have a pair of free tickets to see a screening of "That's My Boy" tonight, I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not :shuffle: .

:lol:

Andy Samberg = good
Adam Sandler = bad

Maybe Sandler's character will get killed off early in the film? :fingerscrossed:

Cachoo
06-13-2012, 11:04 PM
Re the photo: Loved seeing Molly Ringwald and Jon Cryer sitting together. I know you must think I have it out for Tom Cruise but he looks like a Ken doll in the photo. I do wonder who he consults with to help him look like he did when he was in "Top Gun."

PeterG
06-14-2012, 02:12 AM
I was reading some articles from Vanity Fair's Hollywood Blog (thanks to Garden Kitty for the picture link, which led me to this site). Some interesting articles, including the casting of ChloŽ Grace Moretz in the remake of "Carrie" due out March 15th of 2003. Not sure about Moretz in this role, but her mom is played by Julianne Moore...who I have complete confidence in. Piper Laurie was brilliant in the role, but perhaps a bit too one-note? I think Julianne Moore might bring more to the part. The picture at imdb.com for Chris Hargensen (Carrie's nemesis) looked like some random blonde bimbo until I clicked on the link and realized it is Ivy from the tv show "Smash" (Megan Hilty). I think she will do as well as Nancy Allen, maybe even better. I think the performances will depend a lot on the director. Which is...Kimberly Peirce. Who we know directed Hilary Swank to an Academy Award in "Boys Don't Cry" (and Chloe Sevigny to a best supporting nomination as well). Pierce also wrote and directed "Stop-Loss" which I think was really underrated. It starred Ryan Phillipe, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Timothy Olyphant and Channing Tatum.

I loved the original Carrie. Spacek was beyond amazing. But with Pierce, Moore and Hilty, I think there is a chance that the remake could possibly be better than the original.

Grannyfan
06-14-2012, 04:34 PM
Some good Dorothy McGuire movies on TCM today. Just finished the wonderful Friendly Persuasion. Enchanted Cottage and one of my favorites, The Spiral Staircase, later. It's filled with old suspense movie cliches, but I love it. Good supporting cast including Ethel Barrymore, Elsa Lanchester, and George Brent toward the end of his prime movie career.

skatesindreams
06-14-2012, 09:54 PM
How I adore "The Enchanted Cottage".
Oh, the power of love!

immoimeme
06-18-2012, 04:57 PM
Krzysztof Kieślowski--re-watched "White," just because I really get a kick out of the main character's expressions, then a version of "Red" that I got to see what was on disc 2-interviews, commentary, short films ("Seven Women of Different Ages" was soooo excellent!). Waiting for interlibrary loan of "Blind Chance."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krzysztof_Kie%C5%9Blowski

Krzysztof Kieślowski's films are what I would want if I was stranded on a desert island. they are just perfect, all the ones I've seen.