PDA

View Full Version : Let's Talk Movies v.19! (Classics...Time-Travel...Bollywood - We Talk About It All!)

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

Sofia Alexandra
05-29-2012, 10:17 AM
The Dark Knight Rises, Prometheus, and Brave (though that one won't hit Swedish cinemas until August 31). Red Lights looks interesting too, if only for the cast (Cillian Murphy! :swoon:).

Anita18
05-29-2012, 10:32 AM
I'm putting final touches onto my Catwoman costume so...yeah. Three guesses over which summer movie I'm most looking forward to! Actually no, make that one guess. :P

olympic
05-29-2012, 12:43 PM
Watched Angelina Jolie's 'In the Land of Blood and Honey' on PPV: Interesting plot and theme, but was it in English (it played that way on my TV)? I found that distracting to watch a foreign film with actors speaking in halting English. It should be viewed in the actors' / country of origin's language.

Cachoo
05-29-2012, 02:05 PM
I might consider seeing Snow White if it starred anyone else but Kristen Steward. :P. But I am considering watching Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter, so help me! LOL

Chris Hemsworth and Charlize! I know what you are saying about Kristen. Of course I wasn't crazy about the material she had to work with in "Twilight" so maybe we'll see a bit more expression in this one. I love that Charlize is not afraid to be "the bitch." Just saw her in "Young Adult" and loved her...

I almost forgot: "Young Adult" was double-billed with "Like Crazy." After seeing the latter I was thinking of how much I might like seeing Felicity Jones in the Snow role.

Vash01
05-29-2012, 05:52 PM
To Rome with love, and Hope springs for me. Even though I hate comedies, there are some real stars in these two that would not want to pass up.

Artemis@BC
05-29-2012, 07:45 PM
I watched Margin Call last night (a fictionalized version of the events at a fictionalized financial institution leading up to / directly causing the 2008 collapse). I'm still processing how I feel about it. On the one hand, it's refershing to have a film not make judgments, to let you make up your own mind. But on the other ... this is an event that just screams for such judgments to be made!

But the writing is really, really good, and so is the acting, so definitely worth watching. Would make a good double-bill with Inside Job. ;)

PeterG
05-29-2012, 08:44 PM
I mention that I did not like the trailer for G.I. Joe Retalitaion and then the movie gets pulled. I say that the trailer for Magic Mike is awful and no one votes for the uber-beefcake movie in our poll. I am single-handedly killing Channing Tatum 's career! :drama:

Watched Angelina Jolie's 'In the Land of Blood and Honey' on PPV: Interesting plot and theme, but was it in English (it played that way on my TV)? I found that distracting to watch a foreign film with actors speaking in halting English. It should be viewed in the actors' / country of origin's language.

I read that the movie was shot in both English and Serbo-Croatian. Jolie did so in hopes that the movie would reach a wider audience. I imagine the DVD release will have both versions. I'm not afraid of subtitles, so you know which one I will watch. :)

Buzz
05-29-2012, 09:21 PM
LOL@PeterG

Grannyfan
05-29-2012, 11:53 PM
I saw The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel today and enjoyed it, though not as much as I expected considering the marvelous cast.

Cachoo
05-30-2012, 05:58 PM
I see that Wes Anderson and Bill Murray have worked together again. I don't even know the name of the film but it will be an automatic must-see for me when it is released.

Bev Johnston
05-30-2012, 06:39 PM
I see that Wes Anderson and Bill Murray have worked together again. I don't even know the name of the film but it will be an automatic must-see for me when it is released.

"Moonrise Kingdom" From the trailer, it looks hilarious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7N8wkVA4_8s

I saw "First Position" the other night and thought it was absolutely fantastic.

martian_girl
05-30-2012, 08:24 PM
I mention that I did not like the trailer for G.I. Joe Retalitaion and then the movie gets pulled. I say that the trailer for Magic Mike is awful and no one votes for the uber-beefcake movie in our poll. I am single-handedly killing Channing Tatum 's career! :drama:

:lol: Here's an article about the delay of GI Joe (http://www.deadline.com/2012/05/big-problems-behind-g-i-joe-2s-big-delay/). Apparently, they were going to kill off Tatum's character early in the film. For some reason, test audiences didn't like that. :P)

Cachoo
05-30-2012, 08:31 PM
"Moonrise Kingdom" From the trailer, it looks hilarious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7N8wkVA4_8s

I saw "First Position" the other night and thought it was absolutely fantastic.

Thank you. This summer really looks promising.

PeterG
05-31-2012, 02:03 AM
The movies I watched during the last few days of cold (and cough...thank you Fisherman's Friend)!

9/10 I Am You - aka In Her Skin (Guy Pearce, Miranda Otto and Sam Neill) - Ruth Bradley as Caroline Reid (the Titanic mini-series) steals the show from some seasoned performers. What an amazing performance! She should have been nominated for an Oscar for sure. This is a great movie to watch with others as it’s one you will want to talk about -possibly for longer than it took to watch the movie. If you’re into dramatic thrillers about someone who has gone missing, you won’t want to miss this one. Here’s the trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moqWW9plOtQ

9/10 Margin Call (Zachary Quinto, Paul Bettany, Kevin Spacey, Jeremy Irons, Penn Badgley, Stanley Tucci and Demi Moore) – If I tried to describe what this movie is about, most people would think it sounds incredibly boring. But this movie is SO well made. Perfect script and superbly directed -so well paced. And what a cast!

89/10 One Day (Anne Hathway and Jim Sturgess) – One of my pet peeves is movies about stupid people doing stupid things. This is a movie that gets it right in regards to likeable yet flawed characters who are doing their best with their lives, but you’re not angry at them for choices they make when they maybe should know better. Often during movies I will watch at double-time with subtitles on, but this one was done so well, that I wanted to spend every second with the characters as the movie unfolded. Bonus feature is getting to look at the beauty of Jim Sturgess’ face for almost two hours. :swoon:

6/10 Apollo 18 – A decent view, one to get for free from the library, but not to pay for. Somewhat predictable script, but well directed and acted.

6/10 Lies In Plain Sight – Had a bit of a TV movie of the week feel to it. Great to see Rosie Perez in anything, as well as Chad Michael Murray, (although both had somewhat forgettable roles, to varying degrees). Another one to find at the library. :)

-26/10 Real Steel – So this one was never on my To See list. But when I saw it at the library as a “Quick View” option, I thought I’d give it a shot as a writer in Entertainment Weekly said that this was not really a robot boxing movie, but a father/son bonding movie. So I figured I judged a movie by the trailer. Me: right, Entertainment Weekly: wrong. This is a heaping pile of crap. The whole “bonding with a child over a violent pastime” disgusts me. I’m starting to think that Hugh Jackman is a Hollywood Whore who will take whatever project will bolster his standing in the entertainment industry. What are your hourly rates, Hughie?

agalisgv
05-31-2012, 06:06 AM
Read some reviews of Prometheus, and they sounded pretty positive. Not groundbreaking, but a solid movie.

Did no one go see Battleship?