PDA

View Full Version : Let's Talk Movies v.19! (Classics...Time-Travel...Bollywood - We Talk About It All!)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22

Buzz
08-12-2012, 01:21 PM
Saw the Bourne Lagacy yesterday. It was not bad and did have it's moments but it just felt tired and the ending a bit abrupt. I'll say it was maybe a 6.5 out of ten.

Matryeshka
08-12-2012, 05:44 PM
Saw Beasts of the Southern Wild yesterday. It was AMAZING. I don't know how wide its distribution is, but I'd really like to get someone not from Louisiana/Gulf Coast's take on it.

galaxygirl
08-12-2012, 07:49 PM
Saw the Bourne Lagacy yesterday. It was not bad and did have it's moments but it just felt tired and the ending a bit abrupt. I'll say it was maybe a 6.5 out of ten.

I have this in my Netflix queue but I'm not sure if I'll be able to adjust to Jeremy Renner as Bourne instead of Matt Damon.

Saw Beasts of the Southern Wild yesterday. It was AMAZING. I don't know how wide its distribution is, but I'd really like to get someone not from Louisiana/Gulf Coast's take on it.

I can't wait to see this!

ETA: It's not playing near me. I live in a small city about 60 miles from a major city, where it's playing in one theater.

oleada
08-12-2012, 07:55 PM

Friend of mine, born and raised in NYC, LOVED it.
I still haven't seen it :fragile:

PeterG
08-13-2012, 03:00 AM
I have this in my Netflix queue but I'm not sure if I'll be able to adjust to Jeremy Renner as Bourne instead of Matt Damon.

I thought that Renner plays an entirely different character. That Damon was just one of a group of people who went through some type of experiment that led him to his (their) adventurous present(s).

galaxygirl
08-13-2012, 03:27 AM
I thought that Renner plays an entirely different character. That Damon was just one of a group of people who went through some type of experiment that led him to his (their) adventurous present(s).

Oh, good. That'll make watching it a lot easier.

PeterG
08-13-2012, 05:30 AM
I saw in my TV guide that TCM is airing Anna Karenina on Saturday (the 18th). It's the 1935 version starring Greta Garbo, Frederic March, Maureen O'Sullivan and Basil Rathbone. When I was checking to see which version and who was in it, I came across this: 2012 Remake starring Kiera Knightley, Jude Law, Olivia Williams and Emily Watson (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPGLRO3fZnQ). The trailer didn't grab my interest. What do you think? The release date is November 16th.

galaxygirl
08-13-2012, 03:51 PM
I saw in my TV guide that TCM is airing Anna Karenina on Saturday (the 18th). It's the 1935 version starring Greta Garbo, Frederic March, Maureen O'Sullivan and Basil Rathbone. When I was checking to see which version and who was in it, I came across this: 2012 Remake starring Kiera Knightley, Jude Law, Olivia Williams and Emily Watson (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPGLRO3fZnQ). The trailer didn't grab my interest. What do you think? The release date is November 16th.

I think I'll check out the remake instead of finishing the book. Or maybe it'll motivate me to finish reading. I have it on my Nook but I keep forgetting it's there.

orbitz
08-13-2012, 06:05 PM
There's a skating scene in the new Anna Karenina, so you have to see it :P. It does look ravishing.

Grannyfan
08-13-2012, 06:56 PM
Looks like a beautiful movie. I love big, costume-y stuff like this, but I do not care for Kiera Knightley. And Jude Law looks so plain. I'll probably go see it.

PeterG
08-13-2012, 08:15 PM
Looks like a beautiful movie. I love big, costume-y stuff like this, but I do not care for Kiera Knightley.

I think that's why I didn't get into the trailer. I'm wondering if Knightley is kind of one-note...she does the British ahctress thing properly, but I think maybe she's lacking the depth of many (most?) of her contemporaries. I used to think I wasn't especially into the big costume-y type of movies that you refer to, but after I saw The Young Victoria (2009, Emily Blunt, Rupert Friend, Paul Bettany, Miranda Richardson and Jim Broadbent) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttdndRyoehM) - which was my friend's choice - I realized, "yeah, I do like these movies"! :lol:

And Jude Law looks so plain. I'll probably go see it.

Yes, with Jude Law the director needs to ensure he brings the pretty. I think there's an expiry date at the top left of his forehead for that prettyness, so they should be taking advantage of that fact! :P

Peaches LaTour
08-13-2012, 08:22 PM
I think that's why I didn't get into the trailer. I'm wondering if Knightley is kind of one-note...she does the British ahctress thing properly, but I think maybe she's lacking the depth of many (most?) of her contemporaries.

I agree with your comments about Knightley completely; her "acting ability" seems (to me) to be limited to simply reading her lines. :eek::eek:

Has anybody here seen the charming Brit film, "Millions" about two brothers who come into some money?

emason
08-13-2012, 08:30 PM
I agree with your comments about Knightley completely; her "acting ability" seems (to me) to be limited to simply reading her lines. :eek::eek:

Has anybody here seen the charming Brit film, "Millions" about two brothers who come into some money?

i did see Millions, but not in the theatre. Must have got it from Netflix or seen it on IFC or something. I was very tired when I watched and I zoned out through quite a bit of it. Just didn't keep my attention for some reason, but I do admit there was possibility there.

Grannyfan
08-13-2012, 08:36 PM
Yes, with Jude Law the director needs to ensure he brings the pretty. I think there's an expiry date at the top left of his forehead for that prettyness, so they should be taking advantage of that fact! :P

I fear Jude Law may be like two other blonde actors who peaked early and didn't age well: Robert Redford as he looked in The Way We Were and Peter O'Toole in Lawrence of Arabia, though I don't think O'Toole was really a blonde. Neither one ever looked as good again. With Jude Law, it may have been The Talented Mr. Ripley. But I do like all three very much, wrinkles and receding hairlines and all. :)

emason
08-13-2012, 08:43 PM
I fear Jude Law may be like two other blonde actors who peaked early and didn't age well: Robert Redford as he looked in The Way We Were and Peter O'Toole in Lawrence of Arabia, though I don't think O'Toole was really a blonde. Neither one ever looked as good again. With Jude Law, it may have been The Talented Mr. Ripley. But I do like all three very much, wrinkles and receding hairlines and all. :)

Can't quite agree with you on this. I once saw Redford having dinner in a Japanese restaurant where my co-workers and I had gone for an office outing. I've never experienced anything like it; that man was gorgeous and he radiated charisma/star power - you could literally feel it pouring off him in waves.

With O'Toole it might be the roles - when did he ever again play someone like Lawrence of Arabia?