PDA

View Full Version : Let's Talk Movies v.19! (Classics...Time-Travel...Bollywood - We Talk About It All!)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

Grannyfan
07-14-2012, 02:15 PM
Aw, I hate to read that about Peter O'Toole. I've always liked him and usually wanted him to win when he was nominated for the Oscar. He and Katharine Hepburn were quite a pair in Lion in Winter. Really wish he'd won for that. As he appeared in Lawrence of Arabia, he remains one of the most gorgeous men on film, ever. I love that movie, but sadly I've never seen it on the big screen. My Favorite Year is one of my favorite movies. Very nice statement about his retirement. Sweet, but not sappy.

Cachoo
07-14-2012, 11:00 PM
I will miss O'Toole. I just saw him in Dean Spanley and he was wonderful in a quirky, moving film imho.

mrr50
07-15-2012, 01:11 PM
Becket..yes i do realize all the historical inaccuracies it contains.

Cachoo
07-15-2012, 04:56 PM
I like that "Oz" starts in Kansas and is --naturally-- filmed in black and white. The more I see James Franco the more I like him. I wonder if he will be like Johnny Depp was at that age--picking roles that interest him over any other consideration.

olympic
07-15-2012, 06:29 PM
I saw 'Savages' last night. Great concept for a movie, and it flowed well for the first half, but the writing and some of the acting was awful and it went downhill in the second half :scream:

Cachoo
07-15-2012, 07:06 PM
I have a question. I saw a brief snippet of a movie that included Burt Lancaster, Kirk Douglas and Laurence Olivier. The setting looked more 18th century than 19th century. Would IMDB be the only way to try and find the title?

agalisgv
07-15-2012, 07:46 PM
^^^ Probably the Devil's Disciple (http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Devil%27s_Disciple_(1959_film)#section_1). It's a 1959 movie set in colonial times, starring Olivier, Lancaster, and Douglas.

Cachoo
07-15-2012, 09:19 PM
Thank you agalisgv: I've wanted to see this for some time if I could only find the title. And I have to admit that I thought Douglas and Lancaster looked gorgeous in those costumes. Olivier was onscreen for a few seconds in the clip I saw--just enough time to realize it was him.

PeterG
07-16-2012, 01:08 AM
Just watched Albert Nobbs. LOVED IT! Was surprised to see that it only has a 6.5 rating at imdb.com. And from what I can tell, the US box office was under 4 million. WTF??? This is one of the best movies I have seen in years. Perfect in all aspects of film-making. It should have been nominated for a best picture Oscar...the only nominees I've seen from last year are The Help, Moneyball, The Tree of Life and War Horse. Albert Nobbs is a better film than all of these for sure. It's going to be interesting to see The Iron Lady because I doubt Streep outperformed Close. It's a crime that Close has never won an Oscar. I thought Streep's win was her second Oscar, but it was her third (after Kramer Vs. Kramer and Sophie's Choice). Three for Streep and zero for Close? I'm grumpy. :mad:

Another good movie I saw recently is Daydream Nation (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGGyhDvpzok). It's a (romantic) drama starring Kat Dennings (TV's 2 Broke Girls), Josh Lucas and Andie MacDowell. It was another one I watched at regular pace instead of double-time. Quite enjoyable, but not without a glitch or two. I'm going to spoiler this part because I hope you see this movie. But if not, read on... This is one of those movies that makes me wonder when there's a problem with a film, who dropped the ball? In Daydream Nation, Josh Lucas' character starts out as a rather together high school teacher and ends up being a neurotic whackjob. It's like he becomes another character halfway through the movie. At first I wondered if it was Lucas' performance at fault, but then thought it was the director's fault because he could have directed a more seamless transition from one state to the other. But maybe it's the script, there wasn't enough time to see the character spiral downwards? At this point I'm pointing my finger at the director. Lucas is a good actor who needed someone to take more control. Hmm...maybe it was even the editing. Maybe there are scenes that got cut that showed more of a transition. Which makes me think of another movie-making question. To what extent are directors involved in the editing? I would think "completely" must be the answer. But when awards are given out for editing, I think the director is rarely receiving the award along with the editor. Hmm...questions, questions... :lol:

Nell411
07-16-2012, 01:16 AM
Another good movie I saw recently is Daydream Nation (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGGyhDvpzok). It's a (romantic) drama starring Kat Dennings (TV's 2 Broke Girls), Josh Lucas and Andie MacDowell. It was another one I watched at regular pace instead of double-time. Quite enjoyable, but not without a glitch or two. I'm going to spoiler this part because I hope you see this movie. But if not, read on... This is one of those movies that makes me wonder when there's a problem with a film, who dropped the ball? In Daydream Nation, Josh Lucas' character starts out as a rather together high school teacher and ends up being a neurotic whackjob. It's like he becomes another character halfway through the movie. At first I wondered if it was Lucas' performance at fault, but then thought it was the director's fault because he could have directed a more seamless transition from one state to the other. But maybe it's the script, there wasn't enough time to see the character spiral downwards? At this point I'm pointing my finger at the director. Lucas is a good actor who needed someone to take more control. Hmm...maybe it was even the editing. Maybe there are scenes that got cut that showed more of a transition. Which makes me think of another movie-making question. To what extent are directors involved in the editing? I would think "completely" must be the answer. But when awards are given out for editing, I think the director is rarely receiving the award along with the editor. Hmm...questions, questions... :lol:

I loved Daydream Nation! I've been a Kat Dennings fan for years, as embarassing as this is to admit, I first saw her in the Hilary Duff movie Raise Your Voice and thought she was awesome, so I've been following her career since. I found Josh Lucas characters transformation very weird as well, it was acted well, but really confusing overall. And if the whole thing was meant to just be a red herring for the ending it was kind of a waste, really. But otherwise I did enjoy it.
I wish we still had a video rental place in town because that really was the easiest way to find movies. Our library system is a bit messed for movies. And I would really like to watch Daydream Nation again.

PeterG
07-16-2012, 01:31 AM
I loved Daydream Nation! I've been a Kat Dennings fan for years, as embarassing as this is to admit, I first saw her in the Hilary Duff movie Raise Your Voice and thought she was awesome, so I've been following her career since.

I also like Dennings. When I saw a preview for Daydream Nation on one of the other DVD's I had and both she and Josh Lucas were in this one, I wanted to get it immediately. And I hadn't even heard of it before.

It's interesting that you said you are following her career, because I'm just starting to do that with Aaron Johnson who played Joe in Albert Nobbs. Found out he played John Lennon in Nowhere Boy, which is on my To See list, so I put a hold on it right away. If I like it, I'm even going to search out Kick-Ass! (Which is NOT on my list...:lol:)

Our library system is a bit messed for movies. And I would really like to watch Daydream Nation again.

That's too bad. Not only is my library system big and well-stocked in movies (and everything else), but I live within an hour of TEN other library systems. So I can almost always get everything I want for free. And I've just started requesting movies that none of these libraries own, which I want to see. It worked in the past with "The Kids Are All Right", but I haven't requested new titles since then. Until now! :D

Nell411
07-16-2012, 06:43 AM
I also like Dennings. When I saw a preview for Daydream Nation on one of the other DVD's I had and both she and Josh Lucas were in this one, I wanted to get it immediately. And I hadn't even heard of it before.

It's interesting that you said you are following her career, because I'm just starting to do that with Aaron Johnson who played Joe in Albert Nobbs. Found out he played John Lennon in Nowhere Boy, which is on my To See list, so I put a hold on it right away. If I like it, I'm even going to search out Kick-Ass! (Which is NOT on my list...:lol:)

That's too bad. Not only is my library system big and well-stocked in movies (and everything else), but I live within an hour of TEN other library systems. So I can almost always get everything I want for free. And I've just started requesting movies that none of these libraries own, which I want to see. It worked in the past with "The Kids Are All Right", but I haven't requested new titles since then. Until now! :D

I liked Kick-Ass. It was fun. One of the few times I was able to ignore that Nicolas Cage was in the movie and just watch it.

We have a province wide inter-library network as well as a region based one, but until recently I hadn't even thought about using it for movies. The local library has never had a good selection of movies, and doesn't do inter-library loans for them. It is uninspiring to say the least. Plus I live 5 hours away from the nearest decent city. So I'm pretty much hooped.

Artemis@BC
07-16-2012, 04:48 PM
Just watched Albert Nobbs. LOVED IT! Was surprised to see that it only has a 6.5 rating at imdb.com. And from what I can tell, the US box office was under 4 million. WTF??? This is one of the best movies I have seen in years. Perfect in all aspects of film-making. It should have been nominated for a best picture Oscar...the only nominees I've seen from last year are The Help, Moneyball, The Tree of Life and War Horse. Albert Nobbs is a better film than all of these for sure. It's going to be interesting to see The Iron Lady because I doubt Streep outperformed Close. It's a crime that Close has never won an Oscar. I thought Streep's win was her second Oscar, but it was her third (after Kramer Vs. Kramer and Sophie's Choice). Three for Streep and zero for Close? I'm grumpy. :mad:

6.5 is about right IMO. I thought it was a good film, but not great. Interesting more than anything else -- but I would have prefered more depth. It really just skated over the surface of the issues. Close was good, but I found her too mannered a lot of the time, and her accent was inconsistent at best. Most of the supporting characters were cartoonish, and Wasikowska was almost unwatchable. The only standout performance for me was Janet McTeer -- she was superb, and the film is worth watching just for her.

It is a better film overall than Iron Lady, though -- but Streep's performance was better despite the bad material she was given.

JMO of course. ;)

Artemis@BC
07-16-2012, 04:52 PM
Saw a delightful little film this weekend, The Sound of Noise (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1278449/). It's about a cop who has a strong dislike for music, and a band of geurilla percussionists terrorizing the city. Quirky (obviously!), poignant, hilarious, and a must for anyone who has an interest in found sounds and soundscapes. The payoff was a bit disappointing but I loved rest of it. I'd give 9 out 10 for the majority of the film, 7 out of ten for the ending.

martian_girl
07-16-2012, 09:47 PM
So who has their Dark Knight Rises midnight screening tickets? :D

Personally, I'm debating whether to see it at midnight or to wait a few days and take a road-trip up to the IMAX theater and see it there. I love the craziness of midnight screenings, but I imagine that this will look fantastic on a IMAX screen.

Early reviews are pretty positive (http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_dark_knight_rises/), so at least that's a good sign.