PDA

View Full Version : Let's Talk Movies v.19! (Classics...Time-Travel...Bollywood - We Talk About It All!)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

PeterG
07-05-2012, 11:18 PM
So I finally saw The Artist last night. (I know, I know ... last person on the planet.) Wow. Just wow. Can't remember the last time such a critically acclaimed movie exceeded my expectations. As soon as it was over I wanted to watch it all over again. Well, it's not due back at the library til Tuesday ...

Wow, your library got this quick! I checked my library's website and they don't have it. So I checked amazon to see how long ago it was released. June 26th! :eek: I'm sure our library will get it soon, but a week or so from release into the hands of a customer? Wow, talk about good service!

Artemis@BC
07-06-2012, 12:03 AM
Wow, your library got this quick! I checked my library's website and they don't have it. So I checked amazon to see how long ago it was released. June 26th! :eek: I'm sure our library will get it soon, but a week or so from release into the hands of a customer? Wow, talk about good service!

There are two municipalities' libraries that I frequent. One is usually very, very quick to get new DVDs, but they serve a much wider population so if you don't get in the queue right away you can be waiting a very long time. (They also charge request fees -- but it's only .50 so no biggie.) The other is quite a bit slower in getting the new releases, but it's smaller and less populated, and they're right next door to where I buy all my fresh produce so really convenient.

With the almost complete disappearance of video stores, I get about 95% of my movies from my libraries. And yes, I do appreciate how great the service is!

PeterG
07-06-2012, 03:19 AM
I have a friend who lived on a road that split two municialities. Three blocks north of her was a branch from one area and five blocks south and one block over was a branch from the other area. Talk about convenience! :)

Nell411
07-06-2012, 05:38 AM
I just watched The Philadelphia Story. It's one of my favourite Katharine Hepburn movies. I much prefer The Philadelphia Story to High Society, I think it's because I prefer Hepburn to Grace Kelly and Cary Grant is far more interesting that Bing Crosby.

jl22aries
07-06-2012, 10:59 AM
I really love The Artist - yes it begs comparisons to certain Hollywood classics but nevertheless I think the story charming, and there's incredible chemistry between all the actors (including Uggie of course).

Speaking of that genre, any Chaplin fans out there? Modern Times is one of my favourites and luckily one of our few remaining local art house theatres had a Chaplin fest a while back, which meant that I saturated up on lots of Chaplin within a couple of weeks and it was AWESOME.

I saw Magic Mike yesterday and was really disappointed. Absurd, because how could one be disappointed by a male stripper movie that delivers 5 beefy men shaking it to It's Raining Men? The pacing was really problematic for me, as well as the tone (campy? ernest? what are you?!)

Wyliefan
07-06-2012, 02:59 PM
I really love The Artist - yes it begs comparisons to certain Hollywood classics but nevertheless I think the story charming, and there's incredible chemistry between all the actors (including Uggie of course).

Speaking of that genre, any Chaplin fans out there? Modern Times is one of my favourites and luckily one of our few remaining local art house theatres had a Chaplin fest a while back, which meant that I saturated up on lots of Chaplin within a couple of weeks and it was AWESOME.

How nice! We had a Gene Kelly film festival over in Maryland, and I took the subway over a couple of times to catch some of the films. It was really cool.

However, none of the theaters near me is going to be showing the Singin' in the Rain 60th anniversary event, and I'm really bummed about it. :( My favorite movie, and they won't show it near here!

Artemis@BC
07-06-2012, 09:06 PM
I just watched The Philadelphia Story. It's one of my favourite Katharine Hepburn movies. I much prefer The Philadelphia Story to High Society, I think it's because I prefer Hepburn to Grace Kelly and Cary Grant is far more interesting that Bing Crosby.

I agree about Hepburn vs. Kelly and Grant vs. Crosby ... but I still give the overall edge to High Society because of the fabulous music. It's a bit of a thin story, so it really needs the music to fill it out, imo. I love virtually all Cole Porter and this is some of his best. Esp. "What a Swell Party" and "Who Want's to Be a Millionaire," both performed to perfection in the movie.

Mozart
07-06-2012, 10:07 PM
Magic Mike was so zzzzzzzzzzzzz and I didn't find most of the men hot except Channing Tatum.

jl22aries
07-07-2012, 05:10 AM
Magic Mike was so zzzzzzzzzzzzz

Right?! I was surprised.

I LOVE Singing in the Rain. And I enjoyed The Artist's homage to it.

Any art geeks in here? Anyone see the Marina Abromovic Documentary yet?

Nell411
07-07-2012, 06:34 AM
I agree about Hepburn vs. Kelly and Grant vs. Crosby ... but I still give the overall edge to High Society because of the fabulous music. It's a bit of a thin story, so it really needs the music to fill it out, imo. I love virtually all Cole Porter and this is some of his best. Esp. "What a Swell Party" and "Who Want's to Be a Millionaire," both performed to perfection in the movie.

I love those two songs. And High Society was my first real exposure to Louis Armstrong. And I love Celeste Holm as Liz Imbrie. I think it's really just my over all preference for Hepburn and Grant that makes the difference for me. I like Grace Kelly, and I tolerate Bing Crosby. But I always preferred watching Grace Kelly in Hitchcock movies. And while I like movies Bing Crosby is in, I have a really hard time enjoying him in movies.

Wyliefan
07-07-2012, 07:10 PM
In all this Philadelphia Story talk, let us not forget the genius that was Jimmy Stewart. I could watch his drunk scene with Grant 10 times in a row and not get tired of it. "DON'T INTERRUPT ME!" :rofl:

Sofia Alexandra
07-07-2012, 07:13 PM
Has anyone seen The Amazing Spider-Man yet? I'm very curious about any potential tie-ins with Avengers 2. (Post-credit stinger, perhaps?)

VALuvsMKwan
07-07-2012, 07:25 PM
Right?! I was surprised.

I LOVE Singing in the Rain. And I enjoyed The Artist's homage to it.

Any art geeks in here? Anyone see the Marina Abromovic Documentary yet?

I take it then that, if this is in your area, you will be attending it? :D

http://www.fathomevents.com/classics/event/singinintherain.aspx?d=7/12/2012

peibeck
07-08-2012, 08:24 PM
Has anyone seen The Amazing Spider-Man yet? I'm very curious about any potential tie-ins with Avengers 2. (Post-credit stinger, perhaps?)

I saw the movie this morning and enjoyed it, but I felt the 2002 Sam Raimi movie was better. There was no direct tie-in to the Avengers sequel being planned, although there is a post credits scene which screams "sequel." :lol:

I saw "The Nines" on Netflix (which I just subscribed to, and am rather addicted :shuffle: ), and I rather loved it. Who knew Ryan Reynolds could act so well?!?!? :P And it had Hope Davis, who I always love; plus the movie features Melissa McCarthy and Octavia Spencer before they really hit it big this past year.

Sofia Alexandra
07-08-2012, 09:28 PM
The Hobbit main theme. (http://themarysue.tumblr.com/post/26776304122/alphamano-the-hobbit-2012-main-theme-over) Not sure if it's the real deal or a fanmix, but it gives me goosebumps. :swoon: