PDA

View Full Version : Let's Talk Movies v.19! (Classics...Time-Travel...Bollywood - We Talk About It All!)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

jl22aries
07-03-2012, 01:41 AM
I really enjoyed this essay on Spielberg's movies:

http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/the_completist/2012/01/steven_spielberg_s_complete_movies_i_ve_seen_every _one_and_i_almost_wish_i_hadn_t.html

Buzz
07-03-2012, 02:48 PM
You are forgiven. :lol:

:blocjudge

Cachoo
07-03-2012, 06:57 PM
Oh right, my free redbox rental was "sherlock Holmes: The Game of Shadows" I fell asleep in the middle of yet-another-chase/fight, so read that however you want. My not free rental was "THE ARTIST" and I 'bout burned my eyes out watching THAT over and over and over and over and over. I Dream of the day I can afford the DVD of it! I LOVE JEAN DUJARDIN, whee!!!!!

I've yet to see The Artist but ITA about this Sherlock Holmes. All of Conan Doyle's cleverness is lost in all the blasts and explosions. And I like Law and Downy Jr.'s work most of the time.

Artemis@BC
07-03-2012, 07:54 PM
ITA about this Sherlock Holmes. All of Conan Doyle's cleverness is lost in all the blasts and explosions. And I like Law and Downy Jr.'s work most of the time.

I actually don't mind Richie's Sherlock Holmes movies. I was never an über of the books -- thought they were great characters and well-conceived mysteries, but the writing is, IMO, pretty bad, bordering on unreadable by today's standards. (Well, to be fair, by my standards -- mostly because my pet peeve with any narrative is too much exposition, and Conan Doyle is ALL exposition all the time.)

Mostly though I think the movies suffer by comparison to Sherlock. If it wasn't for the sheer brilliance of the Cumberbatch-Freeman-Moffat-Gatniss productions, the Downy-Law-Richie stuff would rank fairly highly, taken for what they are. Sure, I could do without the extended fight scenes (esp. the "Holmsvision" aka Matrix-ripoff stuff), but I do like the Downy-Law chemistry. And, having just seen the second movie this weekend, I loved Stephen Fry as Mycroft. Loved loved loved! (But then, I am biased, I'd watch Fry read the phone book.)

Wyliefan
07-03-2012, 11:54 PM
When I went to see Brave, they ran a Hobbit trailer. When they showed Martin Freeman, I said to my friend, "I keep expecting Sherlock to pop up," and she said, "What? What does Robert Downey Jr. have to do with The Hobbit?" :)

Cachoo
07-04-2012, 05:19 AM
I actually don't mind Richie's Sherlock Holmes movies. I was never an über of the books -- thought they were great characters and well-conceived mysteries, but the writing is, IMO, pretty bad, bordering on unreadable by today's standards. (Well, to be fair, by my standards -- mostly because my pet peeve with any narrative is too much exposition, and Conan Doyle is ALL exposition all the time.)

Mostly though I think the movies suffer by comparison to Sherlock. If it wasn't for the sheer brilliance of the Cumberbatch-Freeman-Moffat-Gatniss productions, the Downy-Law-Richie stuff would rank fairly highly, taken for what they are. Sure, I could do without the extended fight scenes (esp. the "Holmsvision" aka Matrix-ripoff stuff), but I do like the Downy-Law chemistry. And, having just seen the second movie this weekend, I loved Stephen Fry as Mycroft. Loved loved loved! (But then, I am biased, I'd watch Fry read the phone book.)

So would you like to switch Fry out with Sherlock's Mycroft? Even as you like that Mycroft? Just curious...This discussion could get confusing.

oleada
07-04-2012, 05:28 AM
I saw Brave. Let's just say that my streak of crying at Pixar movies remains unbroken.

Cachoo
07-04-2012, 05:33 AM
I have a date with my younger nieces this weekend to see "Brave." I can't wait!

oleada
07-04-2012, 05:38 AM
I have a date with my younger nieces this weekend to see "Brave." I can't wait!

I think it's a GREAT movie for tweens (some of the things Merida says to her mother? Yeah, totally said the EXACT same to my mom at age 13 or so). I'm so glad that we have a princess movie that is not all about the romance and Prince Charming.

PeterG
07-04-2012, 07:02 AM
Smaller/independent (or straight-to-DVD :lol:) movies opening this week:

July 6 Collaborator (comedy drama with Martin Donovan, David Morse, Katherine Helmond and Olivia Williams)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxtU34613DU

July 6 The Magic of Belle Isle (comedy drama with Morgan Freeman, Virginia Madsen and Fred Willard)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NxatcG0C6k

July 6 The Pact (horror with Casper Van Dien)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjBT7z3lhf8

July 6 China Heavyweight (sports documentary. From imdb.com: “A documentary on rural teenagers in southwestern China who are recruited as their country's next Olympic hopefuls, with a focus on the coach Qi Moxiang.”
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8utBPHp88PY

The only one that interests me is the first, Collaborator. You might not recognize the name Martin Donovan, but once you check out the trailer, you'll say, "oh yeah, I know him". The premise looks quite intesting, so I've added this one to my To See list. :)

Artemis@BC
07-04-2012, 04:40 PM
So would you like to switch Fry out with Sherlock's Mycroft? Even as you like that Mycroft? Just curious...This discussion could get confusing.

Hmm. I'm not sure Fry would fit the current Sherlock dynamic as well. Fry himself -- and Fry's Mycroft -- is perhaps too genial for Cumberbatch's Sherlock. Gatiss's Mycroft is smarmier and more petulant, and I think that works better in that context.

I'm sure we could find another good role for him in Sherlock, though. I actually kept waiting for him to show up in Downton Abbey, since he'd worked with Julan Fellowes in Gosford Park as "Inspector Ummmm." :lol:

PeterG
07-04-2012, 05:33 PM
Queen Latifah, Alfre Woodward, Phylicia Rashad and Jill Scott. Sounds like a good cast, no?

Here's The Trailer For Lifetime's Remake Of Steel Magnolias (http://www.dlisted.com/2012/07/03/heres-trailer-lifetimes-remake-steel-magnolias)

Hmm. Not sure about this one. I remember reading something online about how they should remake movies that could be improved upon. While Steel Magnolias was no Gone With The Wind, nothing comes to mind as to where they could improve upon it... :shuffle:

Cachoo
07-05-2012, 12:05 AM
Hmm. I'm not sure Fry would fit the current Sherlock dynamic as well. Fry himself -- and Fry's Mycroft -- is perhaps too genial for Cumberbatch's Sherlock. Gatiss's Mycroft is smarmier and more petulant, and I think that works better in that context.

I'm sure we could find another good role for him in Sherlock, though. I actually kept waiting for him to show up in Downton Abbey, since he'd worked with Julan Fellowes in Gosford Park as "Inspector Ummmm." :lol:

OMG---I can't imagine how Sherlock would react to that inspector. :eek:

Artemis@BC
07-05-2012, 04:53 PM
So I finally saw The Artist last night. (I know, I know ... last person on the planet.) Wow. Just wow. Can't remember the last time such a critically acclaimed movie exceeded my expectations. As soon as it was over I wanted to watch it all over again. Well, it's not due back at the library til Tuesday ...

And how on earth did I miss Jean Dujardin before this? (I don't actually live in a cave but sometimes it feels like it.) During the movie I was thinking "Yeah, I guess he's hansome in an early-20th century kind of way." But then I saw him as himself in one of the DVD extras ... :swoon::swoon::swoon: My new crush!

I'm also in love with Uggie.

BTW, I'm predicting -- or hoping -- we'll see some skaters using the music this season. Would work really well for any of the top dancers, but particularly Pechalat-Bourzat. I could also see Savchenko-Szolkowy using it, or Oda, or Abbott.

orbitz
07-05-2012, 05:56 PM
John Carter - I thought this was a good movie for its genre. It's kind of a throw back to the Flash Gordon era in a way and maybe that was one reason why today's audience wasn't into it; They wanted to see technologically advanced-looking flying crafts and weapons, which this film didn't have. I also agree that Disney totally messed up the marketing for this film. Taylor K did a good job as the lead.

21 Jump Street - very funny. I wasn't a fan of Channing Tatum before, but I'm sort of now after having seen him in this.