PDA

View Full Version : Let's Talk Movies v.19! (Classics...Time-Travel...Bollywood - We Talk About It All!)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

Cachoo
06-28-2012, 04:53 PM
As many great performances as Irene Dunne gave, TCM could have included 10 more films to honor her!

I recall when my father made my sis and me watch "I Remember Mama." At first I was bored then totally pulled in by this story and especially concerned for the chloroformed cat. :) I thought Dunne was wonderful.

PeterG
06-28-2012, 09:16 PM
I think I remember reading that it was a case of 'she got that Oscar because she lost out the year she should have had one'

Which film (or films) should Rogers have won for? Maybe I'll check that one (those ones) out instead of Kitty Foyle.

mrr50
06-29-2012, 01:59 AM
Which film (or films) should Rogers have won for? Maybe I'll check that one (those ones) out instead of Kitty Foyle.

I have been trying to remember because I knew this was going to come up. I just can't think what it was, I even took a look at her filmography on Wiki.

emason
06-29-2012, 04:01 AM
I think she was nominated the year before for Top Hat.

Sofia Alexandra
06-29-2012, 05:11 PM
Finally got to see The Avengers. :watch: Loved it, of course. "Puny god." :rofl:

Can't decide if it's Tony Stark or Robert Downey Jr I'm having a crush on now... :shuffle:

Artemis@BC
06-29-2012, 05:32 PM
Coincidental to Cachoo's "nature vs. nurture" thread ... I just watched We Need to Talk About Kevin last night. I had read the book shortly after it was published, but managed to erase most of it from my memory and watch the movie without any preconceptions.

The movie (and the book) are of course works of fiction and don't presume to answer the questions, but they sure do ask them.

But from a purely filmic point of view, the movie is superb. Terrifying, but superb.

(As an aside, can anyone remember the name of a film from about a year or two ago that was about the parents of a kid who'd perpetrated a mass school killing? I don't remember any details, except that the parents were completely baffled, and were portrayed more-or-less sympathetically. And I remember liking but not loving it.)

PeterG
06-29-2012, 08:05 PM
(As an aside, can anyone remember the name of a film from about a year or two ago that was about the parents of a kid who'd perpetrated a mass school killing? I don't remember any details, except that the parents were completely baffled, and were portrayed more-or-less sympathetically. And I remember liking but not loving it.)

Was it Beautiful Boy (starring Maria Bello, Michael Sheen and Alan Tudyk) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aN_Gq1aFjUU)? I was only able to respond to this post because the trailer for this was at the beginning of a DVD I recently watched. It's not on my To See list. Should I add it?

Vash01
06-29-2012, 08:54 PM
Coincidental to Cachoo's "nature vs. nurture" thread ... I just watched We Need to Talk About Kevin last night. I had read the book shortly after it was published, but managed to erase most of it from my memory and watch the movie without any preconceptions.

The movie (and the book) are of course works of fiction and don't presume to answer the questions, but they sure do ask them.

But from a purely filmic point of view, the movie is superb. Terrifying, but superb.

It was 'Beautiful Boy'. Maria Bello and Michael Sheen were both great in it. I was disappointed that they did not get Oscar noms for those performances. I liked the movie a lot ('enjoy' would not be a correct word to use for it).

Artemis@BC
06-29-2012, 09:10 PM
Was it Beautiful Boy (starring Maria Bello, Michael Sheen and Alan Tudyk) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aN_Gq1aFjUU)? I was only able to respond to this post because the trailer for this was at the beginning of a DVD I recently watched. It's not on my To See list. Should I add it?

Yes, that's it, thank you. Do add to your list, esp. if you're fans of Bello and/or Sheen -- their performance are really the reason to watch.

Cachoo
06-29-2012, 09:26 PM
I'm going to look for both of those titles. I'm more familiar with one because of the praise for Tilda Swinton's performance.

immoimeme
07-01-2012, 11:38 PM
I rescind my poll vote for "Rock of Ages." I thought it was like, an ORIGINAL film about an 80's rocker. After several previews of it, I don't think I care to see it all.

"albert Dobbs"-okay. interesting. wish it cames with a book about whatall the HUGE overpopulation of /Victorian 19th century women had to do to survive in a man's man's world.

"War Horse"-hated hated hated the maudlin music. think it would have been a different (and better) film altogether without it.

"Elvis:That's The Way It Is special edition"-what a showman! and I couldn't help wondering, since I also had the Led Zeppelin DVD checked out at the same time, what would happen if they sung each others' songs. Can't you see Elvis belting out "Whole Lotta Love"? I can! And Robert Plant singing "Heartbreak Hotel" and Jimmy jamming down on it, whee!!

Okay so I have too much time on my hands...lol.

immoimeme
07-01-2012, 11:41 PM
Oh right, my free redbox rental was "sherlock Holmes: The Game of Shadows" I fell asleep in the middle of yet-another-chase/fight, so read that however you want. My not free rental was "THE ARTIST" and I 'bout burned my eyes out watching THAT over and over and over and over and over. I Dream of the day I can afford the DVD of it! I LOVE JEAN DUJARDIN, whee!!!!!

Cyn
07-01-2012, 11:50 PM
I usually stay out of the movie threads as I rarely go to them (the last one I saw in the theatre was "Valkyrie" :yikes: :scream: ) Even without the overrated, obnoxious Tom Cruise in it, that movie was a dog from start to finish.

That being said there are a couple of movies that have piqued my interest...

Prometheus is/was one of them; however, I'm so damned gun-shy after all of the Alien-related movies (aside from Cameron's sequel) have sucked donkey balls, and even with the incomparable Ridley Scott back at the helm, I'm not sure if I'll watch it.

I was reading some articles from Vanity Fair's Hollywood Blog (thanks to Garden Kitty for the picture link, which led me to this site). Some interesting articles, including the casting of ChloŽ Grace Moretz in the remake of "Carrie" due out March 15th of 2003. Not sure about Moretz in this role, but her mom is played by Julianne Moore...who I have complete confidence in. Piper Laurie was brilliant in the role, but perhaps a bit too one-note? I think Julianne Moore might bring more to the part. The picture at imdb.com for Chris Hargensen (Carrie's nemesis) looked like some random blonde bimbo until I clicked on the link and realized it is Ivy from the tv show "Smash" (Megan Hilty). I think she will do as well as Nancy Allen, maybe even better. I think the performances will depend a lot on the director. Which is...Kimberly Peirce. Who we know directed Hilary Swank to an Academy Award in "Boys Don't Cry" (and Chloe Sevigny to a best supporting nomination as well). Pierce also wrote and directed "Stop-Loss" which I think was really underrated. It starred Ryan Phillipe, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Timothy Olyphant and Channing Tatum.

I loved the original Carrie. Spacek was beyond amazing. But with Pierce, Moore and Hilty, I think there is a chance that the remake could possibly be better than the original.

While this has me interested, I'm easily one of the biggest critics of any attempt to remake an absolute classic. The simplicity of the set, script, and FX are integral parts of what made the original Carrie so incredible as it left it up to the actors to make the film and the horror come to life - plus I think it added to the innocence/naivety of Carrie, and I don't want to see that compromised or cheapened for the sake of Amazeballs FX :scream:.

Now to completely contradict myself about remakes :P, I cannot, cannot wait until the remake of Total Recall comes out. For starters, I love Philip K. Dick's works, which TR is based of off (albeit far expanded). Secondly, the original movie was, even for the 80s, stupidly cheesy and campy in many places. Thirdly, I never bought Ahnold as a credible actor in the part. The new version looks to be :kickass: - if there's one remake out there that will benefit from advanced FX, it's this one.

Plus (and I may have to go lie down to contemplate this), when the feck did Colin Farrell go from being a total douchenozzle to smokin' hot babe? :swoon: :grope:.

emason
07-02-2012, 01:17 AM
"War Horse"-hated hated hated the maudlin music. think it would have been a different (and better) film altogether without it.

Ruining a movie with the wrong music seems to be a Spielberg specialty. I loathed Empire of the Sun, and the smarmy, phony, manipulative soundtrack was a big reason why.

Artemis@BC
07-02-2012, 09:39 PM
"albert Dobbs"-okay. interesting. wish it cames with a book about whatall the HUGE overpopulation of /Victorian 19th century women had to do to survive in a man's man's world.

I assume you meant Albert Nobbs -- I thought it was just ok. The premise was interesting but I agree they completely glossed over the social issues. I usually love Close but found her performance very mannered, and Wasikowska was terrible. But Janet McTeer, almost worth watching just for her.

Re: War Horse, I hated the music too, but there were many things I hated more. Like the romanticization of war. The completely ridiculous Outrrrrageous Frawnsh Occents. The over-long runtime (but this is Spielberg after all). And the romanticization of war.