PDA

View Full Version : 2012 US Men Gymnastics Olympic Team Poll Stage 1

haribobo
05-27-2012, 05:50 PM
Who do you predict on the US Men's team, pre-Nationals?

ilovesalchows
05-27-2012, 06:24 PM
Horton, Leyva, Orozco, Dalton, Brooks Alt: Legendre

We really need Horton on rings.

Scintillation
05-28-2012, 03:59 PM
I feel like Orozco, Horton, and Leyva are locks. I picked Dalton and Legendre for the last two spots, but we'll have to wait and see how everyone looks at Visas.

Braulio
05-28-2012, 11:25 PM
I think those who went to worlds will be sent to the Olympics, with Naddour being the alternate

Buzz
05-29-2012, 01:03 AM
Seems I m in agreement with most everyone else. LOL

OnyxRose81
05-29-2012, 03:44 PM
Yeah, Orozco, Leyva and Horton are locks. There's no doubt about those three. I think Dalton and Legendre will be the next two but everything depends on how everyone looks at Nats/Trials.

Theatregirl1122
05-29-2012, 06:09 PM
So I'm assuming Orozco and Leyva will do the AA in prelims. What apparatuses will the rest of the team do? I'm not as up on the strengths and weaknesses of the men as the women (mostly because we don't talk about them as much on FSU).

Scintillation
05-29-2012, 09:47 PM
Well I haven't checked in with the dudes much since the AmCup, but here's a vague rundown: Leyva, Horton, and Orozco are all AAers and will all probably do AA in the prelims. Orozco's big ticket is his pommel horse routine, which is historically a huge weak area for the Americans. Leyva of course excels in pbars and high bar, and Horton is great on rings and high bar. Jacob Dalton and Steve Legendre share the same strengths on floor and vault, but are very weak on pommel horse. I think Chris Brooks also has similar strengths as Dalton and Legendre but I'm not totally sure, he's spent much of his career dealing with injuries. He's also really good at screaming his support for other gymnasts. I don't know anything about the other guys listed.

Cloudy_Gumdrops
05-29-2012, 09:54 PM
Horton, Leyva, and Orozco are locks. Dalton is pretty close too if he keeps doing his thing on VT and FX.

With those 4 you have HB, PB, VT, and FX pretty much covered. Rings and Pommels is where some help is needed.

For PH, Leyva is a good table setter and you have Orozco, but another worker is still needed because Horton isn't very good at it and you never want Dalton anywhere near it.

For SR, you've got Horton and Orozco (who is hit or miss, but can score well when he hits), but still need someone else.

Lots of guys have a chance for the 5th spot. Brooks is a good AA. Pennev/Legendre have a chance, but because of their similarities in strength to Dalton, I think they'll both be more likely to be considered for alternate spots unless one of them show up with a kick ass PH and/or SR routine.

I'm kinda doubting a 1-eventer like Naddour or Wynn will be taken. It would suicide if one of the others go down.

Buzz
05-29-2012, 11:11 PM
Nice to see the guys get some luv from fans too. :hat1:

Theatregirl1122
05-29-2012, 11:38 PM
I don't know anything about the other guys listed.

I know plenty about Sam Mikulak since he's a U of M Gymnasts and I've seen him live a bunch of times. His strengths would be the all around (NCAA all around champion as a Freshman, runner up as a sophomore, second by .05 to Brooks in the AA at Pacific Rim) and specifically High Bar, PBars, and Vault. I wouldn't say PH is a strength for him but he generally scores 14+ which is a solid score for the US team. But I don't really think he's in the conversation for this year. He's really young and the US has plenty more experienced and higher scoring Gymnasts. I'm really hoping he'll have a shot at 2016 in Rio, though.

Horton, Leyva, and Orozco are locks. Dalton is pretty close too if he keeps doing his thing on VT and FX.

With those 4 you have HB, PB, VT, and FX pretty much covered. Rings and Pommels is where some help is needed.

For PH, Leyva is a good table setter and you have Orozco, but another worker is still needed because Horton isn't very good at it and you never want Dalton anywhere near it.

For SR, you've got Horton and Orozco (who is hit or miss, but can score well when he hits), but still need someone else.

Lots of guys have a chance for the 5th spot. Brooks is a good AA. Pennev/Legendre have a chance, but because of their similarities in strength to Dalton, I think they'll both be more likely to be considered for alternate spots unless one of them show up with a kick ass PH and/or SR routine.

I'm kinda doubting a 1-eventer like Naddour or Wynn will be taken. It would suicide if one of the others go down.

So ideally we need someone who is good on PH and SR but can back up at least most of the other four events to be the 5th gymnast? If that person exists.

Would Orozco, Leyva, and Horton all do the AA in prelims with Dalton doing at least Vault and FX and splitting the other 4 events with the 5th guy?

haribobo
05-30-2012, 12:11 AM
Scores from Winter Cup (2/2/2012)

http://usagym.org/PDFs/Results/m_12wc_aafinals.pdf

And NCAA Championships (4/19/2012)

http://usagym.org/PDFs/Results/w_12ncaa_teamfinals.htm

I didn't realize Eddie Penev was competing at US Nationals this year- I believe he has competed for Bulgaria in the past and that's why his name wasn't familiar with me until I checked those NCAA results- it seems that his high scoring events are floor and vault, and he beat some big names at NCAA's on those.

CJ Maestas is a strong rings guy and also scored well on pommel at NCAA's so he could end up as more of a factor than originally anticipated if the scoring works similarly.

Also I left off Alex Buscaglia who shouldn't be forgotten, but as his high scoring events are floor and vault and sometimes HB, he's not really hitting the right weaknesses assuming Legendre and Dalton are still in play.

Here's results for Pan American games, where Maestas finished 4th in the AA comp and got bronze on rings with a score of 15.5. He only scored 13.2 on pommel there, with a 14.6 on floor and 15.1 on vault.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_at_the_2011_Pan_American_Games#Gymna stics

Results from 2011 Nationals
http://usagym.org/PDFs/Results/m_11vc_sr_aa.pdf

If Brandon Wynn could score over 14 on pommel, his ticket would be punched. Similar situation if Naddour or Echard could do rings.

Brooks was able to score over 14 on every event at 2011 Nationals so I think he's looking like a solid bet if he repeats that. It'll be really tough to leave Legendre or Dalton off if they're both scoring great on floor and vault, but those rings and pommel holes are looming- well Dalton is pretty ok at rings I guess and can also offer good scores on PB and sometimes HB.

Anyone know how Horton is coming along with his training since the injury? If he hasn't recovered well enough, I guess I'd just take Leyva, Orozco, Dalton, Legendre, and Brooks and deal with the holes that creates unless Wynn or Maestas or someone else is looking amazing at Nationals- its impossible to create a perfect team.