PDA

View Full Version : Pride & Prejudice: your favorite version?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

JJH
05-25-2012, 02:32 AM
The 1980 BBC production (video released 1985) is by far my favorite. I think one of the most difficult aspects of adapting a period novel is capturing the right tone and the voice of the author. If you haven't seen this production, but have Netflix, you can watch it tonight.

iamawake2
05-25-2012, 02:44 AM
Is there somewhere I can watch the 1995 version of PP? I'm not really interested in purchasing the dvd.

JJH
05-25-2012, 03:07 AM
Your local library might have it

IceAlisa
05-25-2012, 03:09 AM
Okay, to stir the pot: Who else was REALLY annoyed by the 1999 film adaptation of Mansfield Park? They made Fanny into this confident person who was secretly a writer. And who DID get engaged to the cad/scumbag and even KISSED him! Instead of the shy, self-effacing character with enough intelligence to see that Henry Crawford is a louse--y'know, how the character was actually written by Austen. I got the idea that the movie writer didn't like Mansfield Park or the character of Fanny and just wrote the film she wanted to write instead of actually adapting the book.

*raises hand* That was extremely annoying.

I didn't know Romola Garai did "Emma". I should look for it on Netflix.

A.H.Black
05-25-2012, 03:09 AM
Most of it is on Youtube. So is the 1980 version.

Sasha'sSpins
05-25-2012, 03:57 AM
I'm glad you mentioned this one. The 1980 version is still my favourite in so many aspects. My favourite Darcy in particular -- I think David Rintoul captured the character even, dare I say it, better than Firth (whom I adore). Also favourite Collins by far, favourite Charlotte, and although I liked Jennifer Ehle I think I'd give Elizabeth Garvie a slight edge for Lizzie. Almost every aspect of this production is truer to the book.

However I can understand the love for the 1995 version -- myself included. It made some decisions that really do work better for screen vs. page. It is lush, more passionate, easier to embrace, and all the performers do a great job.

The best I can say about the Keira Knightley/Matthew Macfadyen version is that it wasn't as dreadful as I thought it would be. :yikes:

The 1980 version starring David Rintoul and Elizabeth Garvie remains my favorite version as well. It is the first 'P & P' version I had ever seen and indeed it is through this production that I came to know and love Jane Austen and her great works. Rintoul and Garvie will forever remain my quintessential "Darcy and Elizabeth". :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADA4YTsu-kI

OT but has anyone read any books based on Jane Austen's novels? I read "Mr. Darcy's Daughters" some years ago and I've been considering purchasing "Christmas at Pemberley" which has gotten some good reviews on Amazon. :cool:

Back OT must admit I fell asleep in the theatre during the 2005 version. To be fair it was after a long day at work but I was eager to see yet another version of "P & P" on the big screen. I woke up towards the end and it still didn't hold much of my interest. I do like Donald Sutherland and have enjoyed his work but he seemed miscast as did frankly every one else. I didn't like that a respectable upper middle class family would look as if they were practically living in a barn with the animals. Their household had a decidely 'grubby' unwashed look. I think Jane Austen would have been appalled to have the Bennetts portrayed in such a manner.

I did enjoy the 2005 version. Colin Firth was awesome as Mr. Darcy. Jennifer was miscast as Lizzie imo. First of all I didn't think she was pretty enough and I couldn't see anything of her 'eyes' that Mr. Darcy would have admired. Her portrayal was absolutely smug. Very annoying. I love this version IN SPITE of her.

jlai
05-25-2012, 04:04 AM
My favorite P&P sequel is still Pemberley Shades

Sasha'sSpins
05-25-2012, 05:02 AM
My favorite P&P sequel is still Pemberley Shades

Thank you-I must look that version up! :)

jlai
05-25-2012, 05:15 AM
Believe it or not, I first found Pemberley Shades years and years ago in the English section of a library in China. :eek: That was before it was reissued.

Vagabond
05-25-2012, 05:35 AM
Emma Thompson has changed many aspects of the characters in her script and I believe Elinor's age is one of them. The movie version of Elinor must be in her late twenties, because in one scene Elinor overhears someone saying "Poor Marianne will become an old maid like Elinor." Even at that time, noone would call a 19-year-old unmarried girl "an old maid."

An old maid with a thirteen-year-old sister (played by a twelve-year-old actress). :shuffle:

I'm sure that such age differences between siblings were not unheard of during the Regency period, but I'm also sure that the filmmakers expected the audience to accept the casting without questioning it. The problem (for me) is that I do question it. But then, my reaction when watching the scene in the Venice Catacombs in Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom was "There aren't any catacombs in Venice, and there aren't for several reasons!" :P

IceAlisa
05-25-2012, 06:23 AM
Think about life expectancy at the time.

Tinami Amori
05-25-2012, 07:17 AM
But then, my reaction when watching the scene in the Venice Catacombs in Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom was "There aren't any catacombs in Venice, and there aren't for several reasons!" :P

(just for the record: in Venice there are no catacombs as in "burial chambers". But there are underground passages in several buildings, Doge's Palace underground prison, Dogana's basements which are now considered for exhibition space, and several other buildings and churches have passages and chambers below the water level. most of them lined with Istrian Stone which can hold water pressure).

sleepypanda
05-25-2012, 08:11 AM
BBC! But, I did enjoy watching the 2005 film too... the second time around haha. The first time I watched it, I feel asleep part way through... oops!

For anyone interested in a vlog (video blog) style modern interpretation of Pride & Prejudice, I suggest checking out the Lizzie Bennet Diaries over on YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/lizziebennet). I think it's pretty well done!

Episode 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KisuGP2lcPs

Zemgirl
05-25-2012, 08:38 AM
Emma Thompson has changed many aspects of the characters in her script and I believe Elinor's age is one of them. The movie version of Elinor must be in her late twenties, because in one scene Elinor overhears someone saying "Poor Marianne will become an old maid like Elinor." Even at that time, noone would call a 19-year-old unmarried girl "an old maid."

An old maid with a thirteen-year-old sister (played by a twelve-year-old actress). :shuffle:
A woman in her mid-twenties might also have been considered on the shelf. But it's not that far-fetched for siblings to have a large age gap between them - for instance, in my family, my mom is 14 years older than her brother - especially in a time when many people married young and there was no reliable method of birth control. Remember that Darcy in P&P is 12 years older than his sister.

Life expectancy in the early 19th century would have lower than today, but that's because of the relatively large number of deaths in infancy. For someone who survived childhood, life expectancy would have been closer (though of course lower) to today's. So I don't think it would have been related to expectations regarding marriage.

OT but has anyone read any books based on Jane Austen's novels? I read "Mr. Darcy's Daughters" some years ago and I've been considering purchasing "Christmas at Pemberley" which has gotten some good reviews on Amazon. :cool:
Well, I read Bridget Jones's Diary and P&P and Zombies. Do those count?

vesperholly
05-25-2012, 10:13 AM
I think that this is a more recent definition. In Jane Austen's world, Emma does not consider Robert Martin, who is explicitly called "a gentleman farmer", a good enough match for her friend Harriet who is the illegitimate child of unknown parents and she tells Harriet that she couldn't visit her if she married him.

That's to illustrate what a silly snob Emma is, and how naive she is to think that everyone is as privileged as she is. Robert Martin is actually marrying up for Harriet.

I didn't know Romola Garai did "Emma". I should look for it on Netflix.

The BBC "Emma" is fantastic. Garai is wonderful (and I hated her in "Atonement") and Jonny Lee Miller :swoon: I never really liked the Paltrow Emma. Though the BBC Emma's Harriet is a total ripoff of the 1996 actress.

I'm just watching Little Dorrit now (so far, very good). Matthew Macfayden :grope: He's why I prefer the 2005 P&P, though it certainly has its flaws. The cinematography and score are stunning. I always thought Ehle rather prim and smug.

BBC's Tom Jones from the late 90s is a personal favorite. It was serialized on A&E when my family was on vacation in Florida and we watched it every night.