PDA

View Full Version : Pride & Prejudice: your favorite version?

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

Vash01
05-24-2012, 01:17 AM
Definitely Ehle/Firth version.

I hated the Keira Knightly version. The modernization of the story did not fit well. P&P is a classic, and should not be tampered with, JMO.

I liked Jennifer Ehle's Elizabeth. She came across as proud, intelligent, and vulnerable at the same time.

I did not like Knightly's pouting Elizabeth. I could not believe she got an Oscar nomination for that role. She is not a bad actress; she has some good performances in other movies, just not in this one.

Colin Firth is the best Mr. Darcy ever.

emason
05-24-2012, 01:23 AM
Another thing I couldn't get past in the Keira K. version is just how bad her posture is; for a strong independent Lizzie she sure slumps over and sticks her head and neck forward a lot - just ugh. Sit up straight, girl; your posture is worse than mine and that is saying something.

Tesla
05-24-2012, 01:40 AM
Here's another vote for the 1995 version of Persuasion. I love that movie. I wanted to like the new version but they ruined it with the running scene in Bath.

I like the Emma Thompson version of S&S, but the new version just feels more authentic and open. It seems to have all the details of the book. Plus, the actress who portrays Elinor is so expressive with her face.

Wyliefan
05-24-2012, 01:57 AM
I vastly prefer the Amanda Root version of Persuasion as well. So nice to find fellow fans! Sometimes people talk like the newer version is the only one out there.

dinakt
05-24-2012, 01:58 AM
1995 BBC version of "Pride and Prejudice" for me, hands down. I actually envision Elizabeth EXACTLY like Jennifer Ehle played her. That combination of brains, reserve and humor. I like everybody in 1995 version, Jane, Bingley, Mr. Collins etc. included ( and young Firth... no contest).
I generally like Keira Knightly, but I don't see her as Lizzie Bennett.

cailuj365
05-24-2012, 02:00 AM
Here's another vote for the 1995 version of Persuasion. I love that movie. I wanted to like the new version but they ruined it with the running scene in Bath.

As well as with the rather unattractive climactic kiss. :yikes: There's a moment where a little Hollywood touch would not have been unwanted. Haven't seen the 1995 version of Persuasion yet, but now it's on my to-see list!

Has anyone seen the newer BBC adaptation of Emma starring Romola Garai and Jonny Lee Miller? I thought it was really charming and splendid, but I haven't watched the Gwyneth Paltrow movie to compare.

A.H.Black
05-24-2012, 02:32 AM
Persuasion was originally a movie in the theater - I saw it there. Later it was shown on Masterpiece Theater. Here is a promo for it - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4T5dl1isp8

The person who uploaded the promo also has links to a 12 part, 1971, version of Persuasion that I have not seen.

PDilemma
05-24-2012, 02:34 AM
Agree with the above "as told by the Brontes" for the Knightly version. Austen was "classical"; the Brontes were "romantic".

Exactly.

And I just do not like Keira Knightley in anything. She also didn't seem to have the slightest understanding of the book. I recall an article at the time where she described the Bennets as a happy and loving family. No way. There was all sorts of dysfunction going on there starting with the parents' miserable marriage and their blatant favoritism with their daughters.

Nomad
05-24-2012, 02:35 AM
No, the costumes were chosen because the studio had them left over (from Gone With the Wind in most cases) and had zero money to make new ones, so they went with what they had.

I don't think this is true. In 1940 MGM was the #1 studio in Hollywood. Pride and Prejudice was an A movie with a big budget. The costumes Walter Plunkett designed for Gone with the Wind were based on styles from the 1860s/70s. The costumes Adrian designed for Pride and Prejudice were based on styles from the 1830s. I don't remember whose decision it was - producer Hunt Stromburg, director Robert Z. Leonard, Adrian, or some combination of the three - but it was felt that the styles of the 1810s lacked the flamboyant feeling they wanted for the movie. Which to me sounds far more believable given Hollywood's general disregard for historical accuracy when it came to costumes for period pieces.

mag
05-24-2012, 02:56 AM
Exactly.

And I just do not like Keira Knightley in anything. She also didn't seem to have the slightest understanding of the book. I recall an article at the time where she described the Bennets as a happy and loving family. No way. There was all sorts of dysfunction going on there starting with the parents' miserable marriage and their blatant favoritism with their daughters.

I think this is what bugged me the most (next to her posture!) She just didn't seem to become Lizzie, where Jennifer E was exactly they way I expected Lizzie to be. Colin Firth as Darcy, well what can I say? :swoon:

TheGirlCanSkate
05-24-2012, 03:06 AM
I love and watch and watch again the BBC version. BUT, my most fave adaptation is Bride & Prejudice. It's so silly; it is quite wonderful.

Tinami Amori
05-24-2012, 03:06 AM
Here are my reasons why: (....)

Great recap!

I am more comfortable (for some reason) with BBC/1995 version but like the 2005 as well.

Both versions have various pluses and minuses. 1995 seems to stay closer to Victorian times. In the 2005 film Keira Knightly is a transplant from another time. She should be playing the leading role in “Lost in Austen”…

The last scene in the US release (which is different from the UK release) “What endearments am I allowed, Mrs. Darcy” is completely out of place and “out of time”.
ELIZABETH: Well, let me think. ‘Lizzy’ for every day. ‘My pearl’ for Sundays, and ‘Goddess Divine,’ but only on very special occasions.

UK version of the 2005 film ends with Mr. Bennet giving his approval to the marriage and ends the film with:

MR BENNET: If any young men come for Mary or Kitty then for Heaven’s sake send them in. I am quite at my leisure.
The best ending of all is in the 1980 version..

But I'll take ANY P&P existing versions, starting 1940’s over other shows/movies we are stuck with on TV...

mag
05-24-2012, 03:14 AM
I will say, the 2005 version does have a great musical score. I absolutely love "Dawn."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vYY0aRH46I

IceAlisa
05-24-2012, 03:31 AM
I will say, the 2005 version does have a great musical score. I absolutely love "Dawn."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vYY0aRH46I

Me too! I love it, have it on my iPod. This would be such a typical Csizny program.

Does anyone know how to get a hold of the music score for Dawn for piano?

nubka
05-24-2012, 03:34 AM
As well as with the rather unattractive climactic kiss. :yikes: There's a moment where a little Hollywood touch would not have been unwanted. Haven't seen the 1995 version of Persuasion yet, but now it's on my to-see list!

Has anyone seen the newer BBC adaptation of Emma starring Romola Garai and Jonny Lee Miller? I thought it was really charming and splendid, but I haven't watched the Gwyneth Paltrow movie to compare.

I've seen it, but my favorite adaptation is the A&E version with Kate Beckinsale as Emma. That version really brings in the Frank Churchill/Jane Fairfax story strongly. I don't like Mark Strong's Knightly, though - waaay too angry/preachy! Jeremy Northam is my favorite Mr. Knightly. :)