PDA

View Full Version : Pride & Prejudice: your favorite version?

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

Michalle
05-23-2012, 08:36 PM
Keira Knightley didn't even seem like she was trying to play Elizabeth Bennett. It just seemed like another character altogether.

miffy
05-23-2012, 08:54 PM
No contest, the BBC version. I have the DVD and love to re-watch it.

I don't think Ehle is the perfect Lizzie but she was way better than Knightley. And Firth as Darcy :swoon: I also like Bonham-Carter as Bingley.

shan
05-23-2012, 08:55 PM
Wasn't the actor who played Mr. Collins in the 2005 version also in the movie Hanna?

manleywoman
05-23-2012, 08:56 PM
Not a fan of Ehle at all. She seemed . . . too smug for me in that role.

That's the prefect word for it: smug. I guess that's why I prefer Knightly in the role.

Also, in the Knightly version, the Bennett's standard/way of living seemed somewhat slovenly. With the exception of Jane, most of the girls looked liked they never ran a brush through their hair, and the house was really messy.

I just have a hard time picturing a gentleman's family living that way... :shuffle:

I'd agree with that actually. THe BBC version does portray that better, IMO.

I thought Macfadyen was the weakest link in the 2005 version. He was rather wooden IMO.

Funny, I find Firth more wooden.

Ahhh, to each his own!

Never seen the BBC S&S. I love the Emma Thompson version. I just choose to have suspension of disbelief as to her age. :shuffle: She didn't want to do it at first, for the same reason, but I think the director convinced her. It's such a smart adaptation, and I can watch it over and over.

IceAlisa
05-23-2012, 08:59 PM
Yes, the Ang Lee S&S was great, overall. The complaint of Thompson's age is overshadowed by the excellence of the rest of the movie.

As to Ehle's smugness--she wore the same (http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMjAxMzQxMjY5N15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwMDQyNTY2._V1._ SX485_SY451_.jpg) smug (http://shootingthepast.tripod.com/possession/christabel3.jpg) smurk (http://jeremynortham.co.uk/2010/07/29/prepare-to-be-possessed-by-this-weeks-jeremy-northam-night-movie/) on her face in Possession. I had a really hard time buying her as Crystabel Lamotte.

KHenry14
05-23-2012, 09:07 PM
Ah, one of my favorite discussion topics... ;)

First off, I fully admit that I am a huge fan of the 2005 movie. I think Joe Wright is a fantastic director (go watch the Soloist and Hanna for further proof), and he did a wonderful job on the movie. He had to know that no matter what he did with the movie he'd be criticized by Austenites because he had to cut scenes from the book, yet he took on the project and did a great job.

First, it needs to be said that both productions are really quite good. And I have no problem with people who prefer the BBC production. Colin Firth is a great actor and he's proven that over and over again. But I felt that Matthew MacFayden really sold the tortured soul of Darcy so well, I just love and prefer his performance. I also prefer Keira's spunkyness to Jennifer's, when I pictured Lizzie in my head, it's Keira i think of.

I also liked 2005's Mr and Mrs. Bennett. Joe Wright cast those roles beautifully. Sutherland really caught the beaten down Mr. Bennett, and Blethen's desperation was beautifully portrayed.

Surprising to me, I did not like the 2005 portrayals of Lydia and Kitty. Surprising because I think both Jena Malone and Carey Mulligan are terrific actresses, but both of them turned in cartoon-like perforances IMO.

And I think Tom Hollander just killed it with his portrayal of Mr. Collins. Other than the fact that in the book Mr. Collins is tall, and Tom is clearly not tall, I think he did a terrific job, bring obsequence to new levels!

One final thing, there is a clear difference in the production of a big time Hollywood movie and a BBC miniseries. The cinematography in the 2005 film is breathtaking. Plus the sequences filmed in the Ball scenes was just brilliant. But the BBC film does take good advantage of the much longer film length, so if you like the depth of the story told, well, the BBC film is a good choice.

Suffice to say, I can't blame anyone for preferring one version over the other. But for me, I can watch and rewatch the 2005 film over and over again.

emason
05-23-2012, 09:11 PM
Absolutely loathed the Keira Knightly version. I can't think of one good thing about it. Love the 1995 version the best, although I do not think it is perfect; some of the casting doesn't work for me. By far the best Mr. Collins ever is Malcolm Rennie from the 1980 BBC version; he is the only Mr. Collins who is a real person and not a hopeless OTT caricature. Rennie just got it right, and sorry, David Bamber, you did not.

aliceanne
05-23-2012, 09:28 PM
My assessment is the same as yours regarding the 2005 vs the BBC production. The movie obviously had to be shorter and I think the Bingley sisters and Wickham were the unfortunate victims. I especially liked the Bingley sisters in the BBC production, they were great at providing unintended comic relief..

I also especially liked the aunt and uncle in the 2005 version. They seemed warm and humorous compared to the other characters.

Did you watch the version with Greer Garson and Laurence Olivier? It has a Hollywood ending and some 1940isms, but the overall tone is more farce than the modern versions, I thought it was closer to Austen's tone in the novel. It is also shorter, which non-Austen fans watching with you appreciate. If nothing else the recycled costumes from "Gone with the Wind" make it worth watching .

nerdycool
05-23-2012, 09:34 PM
I prefer the 1995 version overall, but I also like 2005. I watch both quite regularly. I have also seen the 1940 version, and was so distracted by the artistic license they took that I can't tell you whether it was actually good or not acting-wise.

1995 likes:
Elizabeth
Mr. Darcy
Lydia
Kitty
Mr. Bennett
Mr. Collins
Georgiana (the 2005 Georgiana was better IMO, but I can't see Tamzin Merchant as sweet Georgiana anymore after I saw her as a naked slutty Kitty Howard in The Tudors)
costumes
more accurate portrayal of the book

2005 likes:
Jane (prettier, and I'm always distracted by the 1995 Jane because the actress was pregnant while filming was going on)
Mr. Bingley
Mary
Mrs. Bennett
Charlotte
Lady Catherine
chemistry between Lizzy & Jane
music
cinematography

LilJen
05-23-2012, 09:42 PM
wrt Lizzy being smug: the character *is* kind of smug!!!

Love the 1995 BBC version for its faithful adaptation. It's been a really, really long time since I saw the 1980s miniseries; all I can remember is all the actresses being really flat-chested! (as opposed to an abundance of plentiful bosoms in 1995). Really didn't like the 2005 version; I went into it knowing it'd be crummy and just tried to enjoy it for itself rather than as an adaptation. You cannot do justice to the book in 2 hours. Same problem with the crummy Gwyneth Paltrow version of Emma. Nope, nope, nope.

cailuj365
05-23-2012, 09:44 PM
BBC version for me. I could probably watch it on repeat.

By the way, it's Rupert Friend who plays Mr. Wickham in the Knightley version, not Orlando Bloom. They do look alike though.

Wyliefan
05-23-2012, 09:48 PM
I don't think Ehle ever looks smug. Merry, yes; smug, no. I guess smugness is in the eye of the beholder. (As I was saying, for instance, to me Donald Sutherland looks smug ALL the time!)

Artemis@BC
05-23-2012, 09:51 PM
Georgiana (the 2005 Georgiana was better IMO, but I can't see Tamzin Merchant as sweet Georgiana anymore after I saw her as a naked slutty Kitty Howard in The Tudors)

I think my favourite Georgiana was Alexis Bledel in Bride & Prejudice. :D

Cachoo
05-23-2012, 09:58 PM
Wasn't the actor who played Mr. Collins in the 2005 version also in the movie Hanna?

Yes and considerably unlike Mr. Collins. :)

I tend to allow for age discrepencies when I am watching period pieces or if it deviates from the orginal source material sometimes. I think some of "Game of Thrones" chararcters are considerably younger in the books. Seeing a 15 yr old Jon Snow just wouldn't have the same effect for me as the man who was cast. Emma Thompson is my favorite actress and I have respect for the fact that she can put a screenplay together nicely. I was glad to see her as Elinor Dashwood. As I love the Amanda Root/Ciaran Hinds version of "Persuasion" I often wonder if they are a bit older than the characters in the book. I don't care though because I thought they were magic together. Good acting trumps almost any objections I have about age.

Zokko!
05-23-2012, 10:08 PM
The BBC version, of course! Actually the one and only to me! :shuffle: