PDA

View Full Version : Pride & Prejudice: your favorite version?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17

Holley Calmes
05-29-2012, 07:53 PM
I loved how Ehle and Firth got to be in a movie together again in "The King's Speech." What else might they have been in together? Anybody?

dinakt
05-29-2012, 08:53 PM
I loved how Ehle and Firth got to be in a movie together again in "The King's Speech." What else might they have been in together? Anybody?

I don't think they acted together between P&p and " The King's Speech"- I remember reading that "the King's Speech" was their reunion after all these years.

Tesla
05-29-2012, 09:32 PM
I don't know if it's because I'm hot and tired, but this 1980 version seems to go on for. ever. (and not in a good way).

Fergus
05-29-2012, 09:43 PM
...and I always have a fondness for the 1940 version with Greer Garson and Laurence Olivier. Each has it's charms. None are exactly the way I picture the story or characters.

Oh I totally agree! :biggrinbo

Set in the wrong decade, Garson & Olivier both old enough to play Mr. & Mrs. Bennett, but it's so charming and has such a great supporting cast! Mary Boland and Edna Mae Oliver are hysterical (though changing around Lady Catherine & Elizabeth's final confrontation was a bit annoying....but Oliver played funny better than meanie ;) ).

danceronice
05-30-2012, 04:00 AM
(just for the record: in Venice there are no catacombs as in "burial chambers". But there are underground passages in several buildings, Doge's Palace underground prison, Dogana's basements which are now considered for exhibition space, and several other buildings and churches have passages and chambers below the water level. most of them lined with Istrian Stone which can hold water pressure).

Additional FTR: It was Last Crusade, not Temple of Doom.

Regarding Ciaran Hinds being a bit rough for Wentworth, I think that actually works well into Sir William Eliot's foppy carping about how the sea "ruins" men and ages them--Anne (and the 'good' female characters) appreciate the men who've gone to sea for their personalities, not their sense of style, instead of the pretty-pretty (but rotten to the core) cousin who stands to inherit.

Laney
06-01-2012, 09:03 PM

I was also sooo excited about the reunitation and it was the reason why a friend of mine and I were going to cinema to watch it. We didnīt knew that "Mr.Collins" (Bamber?) also had a small part in it but we were screaming like crazy and giggled when we saw him :D Not so nice for the other guests... :slinkaway But we were all about P&P. And we both liked "The kings Speech", too! Colin Firth forever!!! ;)

kia_4EverOnIce
06-01-2012, 10:10 PM
definetely BBC with Firth!!!

Spareoom
06-02-2012, 03:21 PM
Kind of random, but has anyone seen the Lizzie Bennet Diaries? It's a Youtube video blog that roughly follows the events of P&P in a modern setting. I've found it highly amusing, especially their portrayal of a 2012 Lydia, haha. Everyone is very eagerly awaiting the time when Darcy and Bing Lee make an appearance!

http://www.youtube.com/user/LizzieBennet?feature=watch

Latte
06-02-2012, 11:19 PM
I've seen it, but my favorite adaptation is the A&E version with Kate Beckinsale as Emma. That version really brings in the Frank Churchill/Jane Fairfax story strongly. I don't like Mark Strong's Knightly, though - waaay too angry/preachy! Jeremy Northam is my favorite Mr. Knightly. :)

Kate is my favorite Emma BY FAR!

Tesla
06-07-2012, 09:58 PM
Not that anybody cares :P, but I watched the 1971 version of Persuasion, the 1981 version of Sense and Sensibility and the 1980 version of Pride and Prejudice and boy am I glad I YouTube'd them! I thought they were pretty bad. Persuasion was the best, and I thought about buying it, but I changed my mind. :shuffle: The S&S and P&P versions just feel interminable. Oh my god, these versions are each, like, 10 hours long! I'm glad I watched them, but I don't think I'll do a rewatch. I watched the S&S version today because I thought I shouldn't watch the 1995 version of P&P again (I watched it two days ago). Well, these versions def. make me appreciate the later ones!

Cachoo
06-08-2012, 12:25 AM
Thanks for the update Tesla.

Erin
06-08-2012, 05:22 AM
Not that anybody cares :P, but I watched the 1971 version of Persuasion, the 1981 version of Sense and Sensibility and the 1980 version of Pride and Prejudice and boy am I glad I YouTube'd them!

I care :) I might check out Persuasion...just re-read the book last weekend and am in the mood for an adaptation now.

Tesla
06-08-2012, 02:21 PM
Thanks for the update Tesla.

You're welcome. :)

I care :) I might check out Persuasion...just re-read the book last weekend and am in the mood for an adaptation now.

Thank you. :) I'm actually reading Persuasion now. I find it fun to match up the book with the movie as I'm reading. :)

A.H.Black
06-08-2012, 02:39 PM

The Amanda Root movie is the best (by consensus of posters here) if you haven't already seen it.

pollyanna
06-08-2012, 02:39 PM
Kate is my favorite Emma BY FAR!
And Samantha Morton is a far more convincing Harriet Smith than Toni Collette was. I like Collette, but she was so wrong for the part of Harriet.