PDA

View Full Version : Pride & Prejudice: your favorite version?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17

dinakt
05-26-2012, 04:22 AM
I agree. Who would be a good candidate, do you think?

I am not that well- versed in young actresses, alas. But I'll think about it!

A.H.Black
05-26-2012, 05:19 AM
Natalie Portman

IceAlisa
05-26-2012, 05:21 AM
What you may not know is that Anna is also being directed by Joe Wright, who directed the 2005 P&P. Joe likes to work with the same actors (as mentioned Tom Hollander did Hanna) so it was no surprise to me that Keira got selected here.

Secondly, for those of you who think Keira is sort of a "one-note" actress, please take a look at Domino http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0421054/ Not a movie for the faint of heart, but it's a completely different charactor for her.

I didn't say she was a one trick pony. I said she is too modern and hasn't demonstrated a depth required for the role of Anna.

Wyliefan
05-26-2012, 05:24 AM
The BBC also did an earlier version in 1983, starring Sylvestra Le Touzel as Fanny and Samantha Bond as Maria Bertram, among others. I saw bits and pieces of it about 13 years ago when what was then called the Romance Channel on cable was showing episodes of it every night. I don't remember much about it, but it might be worth a look if you can track it down.

Sylvestra Le Touzel? What a marvelous name!!

KHenry14
05-26-2012, 05:40 AM
I didn't say she was a one trick pony. I said she is too modern and hasn't demonstrated a depth required for the role of Anna.

I didn't mean you specifically, I just was commenting on the general tenor of the discussion about her.

jobelle
05-26-2012, 07:13 AM
I've seen it, but my favorite adaptation is the A&E version with Kate Beckinsale as Emma. That version really brings in the Frank Churchill/Jane Fairfax story strongly. I don't like Mark Strong's Knightly, though - waaay too angry/preachy! Jeremy Northam is my favorite Mr. Knightly. :)

I love all three Emma adaptations but for very different reasons. Northam is my favorite Knightly. I adore Beckinsale's Emma and the strength of the story. And the new one with Ramola Garai is very refreshing and I like the longer length. (and the music from her dance with Mr. Knightly is wonderful ... I actually used it in my wedding last summer).

Favorite P&P is the BBC one, no contest. I watched the 2005 one but I can't stand Keira Knightly and I didn't like McFadyen's Darcy or the overly romantic style of the movie. Good movie, beautiful cinematography and score. It just isn't P&P.

Oh and in the newer Sense and Sensibility Hattie Morahan as Elinor Dashwood is absolutely wonderful. I have great respect for Thompson but Morahan absolutely nailed that part! She makes me tear up multiple times during the movie.

nubka
05-26-2012, 07:47 AM
The BBC also did an earlier version in 1983, starring Sylvestra Le Touzel as Fanny and Samantha Bond as Maria Bertram, among others. I saw bits and pieces of it about 13 years ago when what was then called the Romance Channel on cable was showing episodes of it every night. I don't remember much about it, but it might be worth a look if you can track it down.

This is my favorite version of Mansfield Park! I have it on DVD and have watched it over and over. While it doesn't have lush sets and beautiful lighting, it doesn't really matter because it is so true to the book. Sylvestra Le Touzel is Fanny Price! :respec:

Oh, and the there are the Crawford siblings! I could go on and on about this adaptation - it's so good!

Finnice
05-26-2012, 02:21 PM
Thank you. I just have to watch the BBC series on my dvd again.:P even though I know some of the dialogue by heart.

I never could buy K.K. as Elizabeth Bennet, because she did not look intellectual enough with her mouth open all the time. 05 movie tried to be more sensual, but K.K. just ruined it for me.

Austen is a wonderful writer. You can just open her collected works from ome page and enjoy the wittiness of the language. It is like Oscar Wilde.

AYS
05-26-2012, 02:36 PM
I have this one, I like it very much, except that I didn't really like the casting of Mary Crawford, not pretty enough and her hairstyle was like 1970's. Anna Massey was fabulous as the hateful Mrs. Norris.

AYS
05-26-2012, 02:40 PM
Thank you. I just have to watch the BBC series on my dvd again.:P even though I know some of the dialogue by heart.

Even my kids know a lot of the dialogue by heart. ;) As they were born in '92 and '94, they were literally raised on it and they still haul it out and watch it all the way through periodically.

Thanks to those that mentioned Pemberley Shades earlier. I've read a jillion of these Austen sequels/spin-offs/etc but since this was out of print until the last several years, had never read it and am doing so right now (it's available on kindle!).

emason
05-26-2012, 02:41 PM
Austen is a wonderful writer. You can just open her collected works from ome page and enjoy the wittiness of the language. It is like Oscar Wilde.

Exactly; they both wrote satirical comedy of manners, but in their own styles. In my book none of the modern Austen imitators comes close, because of the slavish attempts to copy Austen's voice. Wilde, of course, wasn't trying to imitate anyone, but just be Wilde. They are two of the best in my opinion.

Artemis@BC
05-26-2012, 04:59 PM
While we're talking about classic lit screen adaptations ... what about Vanity Fair? It was never my favourite book, and although the 1998 BBC mini-series had a lot of good stuff stuff in it, it did nothing to make me love the book -- or Becky -- more. But then there came the 2004 Mira Nair film. I think this film is the exception to the rule of "please don't let American starlets play classic English lit roles" -- I thought Reece Witherspoon was just about perfect in her interpretation of the role (aside from the ocassional accent slip). And I absolutely loved Nair's visually stunning "Indian additions" to the story.

Domshabfan
05-26-2012, 05:40 PM
While we're talking about classic lit screen adaptations ... what about Vanity Fair? It was never my favourite book, and although the 1998 BBC mini-series had a lot of good stuff stuff in it, it did nothing to make me love the book -- or Becky -- more. But then there came the 2004 Mira Nair film. I think this film is the exception to the rule of "please don't let American starlets play classic English lit roles" -- I thought Reece Witherspoon was just about perfect in her interpretation of the role (aside from the ocassional accent slip). And I absolutely loved Nair's visually stunning "Indian additions" to the story.

Since we are on Indian part, I am eagerly waiting for the release of Midnight's children (Rushdie wrote the screenplay :)). It will be a very interesting and complex film to show a very complex country with all its irony.

I started writing a hate post to everyone who thinks Jennifer Ehle did not do a great job as Lizzie Bennet, but stopped it before it became an essay. Anyway I think Jennifer for me will always remain the Lizzie Bennet, I think Austen will approve of her performance.On Mr.dracy, Mathew Macfayden is a brilliant actor, his role in 'Death at a Funeral' will always be one of my favourite roles of his (and he is married to Keeley Hawes :swoon:). However, the way he played Mr.Darcy made it look like Mr.Darcy lacked self confidence and suffered from insecurity. The way he played the role, the movie could very well be titled 'Insecurities and complexes', the guy looked anxious through out the movie, I wish he had take some Valium:P.

vesperholly
05-26-2012, 07:31 PM
However, the way he played Mr.Darcy made it look like Mr.Darcy lacked self confidence and suffered from insecurity.

I thought that was an interesting interpretation of Darcy's character, though. Maybe some of the reason he's so haughty and prideful is to cover up insecurity.

IceAlisa
05-26-2012, 08:01 PM
I caught a bit of Mia Wasikowska's Jane Eyre yesterday whose Mr. Rochester is particularly repulsive IMO. But anyway, he was chopping down some old tree and digging out the roots--clearly doing some gentleman farming although it was a passing fancy for his own entertainment, no doubt.