PDA

View Full Version : Pride & Prejudice: your favorite version?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

Wyliefan
05-25-2012, 08:51 PM
Don't bother with Death Comes to Pemberley by P.D. James. Although I did like a few of the life-at-Pemberley bits, it fails as a mystery (surprising, given the author), and the whole last act is exposition-overload and WTF-where-did-that-come-from moments.

I liked it. :slinkaway :) It had some flaws, but I thought it captured the original tone and characters rather nicely.

Laney
05-25-2012, 09:16 PM
I soooooo love the 1995 BBC-Version of P&P. I donīt know how often I watched it and right now I wish I would have the time to watch it again! I LOVE Colin Firth as Mr. Darcy and also Jennifer Ehle as Elizabeth. I think all characters were casted perfect - or at least I like all of them. I tried to watch the 2005 version but I have to admit I didnīt finished the movie because all felt so wrong for me I wasnīt able to watch it to the end. I like both S&S versions, and usually I prefer the BBC-version. And maybe you can help me: Iīm searching for the music of the first dance from Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy. I bought the soundtrack but thereīs only a tiny little piece of it on it. Itīs also at the beginning of "Emma" with Gwyneth Paltrow. Emma and Mr. Knightley also dance to it in that movie. Does anybody know how this dance and the music is called? I would like to have it sooo much but canīt find it. Thanks for your help!
PS.Sorry for my bad English. Today I have the feeling I make tons of mistakes...

Asli
05-25-2012, 09:36 PM
Here's some (unwelcome to me) news about Keira Knightly--she will be playing Anna Karenina. I just don't see her having

(a) the depth of acting talent to do the role justice
(b) looking and acting appropriate not only for a different period but also a very different country.

She is just not well-suited for period films, yet she insists on making them.

ITA with you. She has a very beautiful and expressive face and loads of natural talent IMO, but watching her act together with trained actors, one feels that the three years spent at drama school usually aren't wasted. She especially lacks voice control and range of movement, her posture is horrific and she does not have any sense of acting according to the period.

nerdycool
05-25-2012, 09:37 PM
And maybe you can help me: Iīm searching for the music of the first dance from Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy. I bought the soundtrack but thereīs only a tiny little piece of it on it. Itīs also at the beginning of "Emma" with Gwyneth Paltrow. Emma and Mr. Knightley also dance to it in that movie. Does anybody know how this dance and the music is called? I would like to have it sooo much but canīt find it. Thanks for your help!From what I have gathered, it's called "Mr. Beveridge's Maggot"... but I don't know if that refers to the dance, the song, or both. If you search for it on YouTube, there are a few videos of it, and all the dances are the same with the same music.

nerdycool
05-25-2012, 09:49 PM
I did read "Mr. Darcy Takes a Wife" by Linda Berdoll
http://www.amazon.com/Mr-Darcy-Takes-Wife-Prejudice/dp/1402202733/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1337966740&sr=1-1 It was originally a sef-published book and is the "racy" continuation of what happens after the wedding. Meh.I have this one, as well as the follow-up "Darcy & Elizabeth". Um... not really believable as a continuation of Pride & Prejudice, but they're entertaining (and pretty racy) if you separate them as stand-alone books. They read more like a romance novel... which I suppose they are if you think about it.

I've also read the trilogy by Pamela Aidan which was done from Mr. Darcy's point of view. They were okay. But the thing I liked most about them was that when the author described what people were wearing, if possible, she described the outfit based off of the 1995 BBC mini-series. So it kind of brought it more to life.

Cachoo
05-25-2012, 10:17 PM
ITA with you. She has a very beautiful and expressive face and loads of natural talent IMO, but watching her act together with trained actors, one feels that the three years spent at drama school usually aren't wasted. She especially lacks voice control and range of movement, her posture is horrific and she does not have any sense of acting according to the period.

Ita also about Keira in period films versus modern settings. I saw "The Duchess" recently and found Hayley Atwell more compelling in that film (not crazy about it.) I did not dislike her in "Atonement" though so maybe there is hope. I thought her awful in "A Dangerous Method." I think I am so sold on the 90's P&P that even if she were masterful in the new version I still would prefer Ehle.

miffy
05-25-2012, 10:31 PM
I've given in to temptation and put on the 1995 dvd. Mr miffy is thrilled about this thread. :lol:

Holley Calmes
05-25-2012, 10:42 PM
Don't bother with Death Comes to Pemberley by P.D. James. Although I did like a few of the life-at-Pemberley bits, it fails as a mystery (surprising, given the author), and the whole last act is exposition-overload and WTF-where-did-that-come-from moments.

Each to his or her own. I quite enjoyed it. I wasn't expecting a whole lot anyway since the author is so very old. I hope I write that well at her age (though I know she had "help...") I wouldn't tell Austen fans not to give it a try.

Artemis@BC
05-25-2012, 11:29 PM
^ I was actually quite liking it for the first 2/3 or so. But as soon as they started the courtroom scenes, it went way, way, way downhill fast. Too much exposition is a pet peeve of mine, and the post-courtroom revelations, the entire plot tied up in a 15-page speech ... ugh. Unforgiveable flaw IMO.

emason
05-26-2012, 01:11 AM
You're more likely to stir the pot by suggesting you liked the 1999 Mansfield Park ;) I don't know off too many serious Austen fans who enjoy this version, although there is a minority who do. I seem to have some kind of either amnesia or masochism when it comes to this movie, as I watch it anytime it's on TV, each time expecting to like it better and I never do. I really should learn my lesson and quit wasting my time! But I'm one of the few who really likes book-Fanny and admires her steadfast morality, so there is no way that I would be happy with a character as vastly different as movie-Fanny. I'm still waiting for a good adaptation of Mansfield Park, as the recent one with Billie Piper is also terrible.

The BBC also did an earlier version in 1983, starring Sylvestra Le Touzel as Fanny and Samantha Bond as Maria Bertram, among others. I saw bits and pieces of it about 13 years ago when what was then called the Romance Channel on cable was showing episodes of it every night. I don't remember much about it, but it might be worth a look if you can track it down.

dinakt
05-26-2012, 01:57 AM
Here's some (unwelcome to me) news about Keira Knightly--she will be playing Anna Karenina. I just don't see her having

(b) looking and acting appropriate not only for a different period but also a very different country.

Oh no, no, no... Not Anna Karenina! I would never ever imagine her as Anna. We need slightly older, dark, introverted beauty, with perfect posture and calm manner ( initially) which comes apart as the movie progresses... Keira... is not that AT ALL. I have an easier time accepting her as Lara ( whom she played) than Anna. But, as the movie ( I went to IMDB) is post- production, we only have to wait for reviews.

All this talk made me purchase 1995 P&P version. It makes me happy.
I also looked at 1980 version. Not bad, but for my taste, too illustrative; part of why I love 1995 is that they show all these people occasionally getting out of society- imposed behavior ( Lizzie running, playing with the dog etc). Manners are manners, but people stay people, with their emotions trying to come out despite the upbringing.
1980- Lizzie is sweet, Darcy is stuck-up... and so they stay. BUT I might be unfair as my heart is given away to 1995 already.

IceAlisa
05-26-2012, 03:03 AM
Oh no, no, no... Not Anna Karenina! I would never ever imagine her as Anna. We need slightly older, dark, introverted beauty, with perfect posture and calm manner ( initially) which comes apart as the movie progresses...

I agree. Who would be a good candidate, do you think?

zippy
05-26-2012, 03:09 AM
I don't see Knightley as Anna at all, although she might have made a good Kitty. Maybe Kate Winslet could have done well with the role of Anna?

Cachoo
05-26-2012, 03:14 AM
Nicole with dark hair?

KHenry14
05-26-2012, 04:10 AM

What you may not know is that Anna is also being directed by Joe Wright, who directed the 2005 P&P. Joe likes to work with the same actors (as mentioned Tom Hollander did Hanna) so it was no surprise to me that Keira got selected here.

Secondly, for those of you who think Keira is sort of a "one-note" actress, please take a look at Domino http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0421054/ Not a movie for the faint of heart, but it's a completely different charactor for her.