PDA

View Full Version : American Idol Finale: WGWG or Bebe Chez? (5/22/12)

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

phoenixflamezzz
05-23-2012, 08:30 AM
Not that it means as much as it used to, but things have gotten very interesting on Dial Idol now that we're nearing the close of West Coast voting...

flyingsit
05-23-2012, 11:06 AM
I agree that Phil's single is hard to imagine on the radio. Maybe it will be arranged differently when recorded. As is, it's way too folksy for Top 40 or alternative but not country enough for country.

Maybe it doesn't fit on top 40 radio, but I can definitely see a place for Phillip's song on radio; it's a mixture of (yes) Mumford and Sons and Coldplay; I heard the Coldplay influence immediately.

Garden Kitty
05-23-2012, 12:30 PM
Review from MSNBC/Today that is critical of the song they gave Jessica (http://theclicker.today.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/05/22/11818884-original-song-could-give-phillip-phillips-the-american-idol-crown?lite)

cruisin
05-23-2012, 01:49 PM
I didn't understand all of the criticism Jessica got for the final song. She didn't pick it, why was that her fault. They should have said the song was wrong for her, that she did the best she could with it, but they understood she didn't choose it. Instead, they made it sound like she should have told the producers to pick something else - like what? These were songs written for them to sing as finale songs. And she's 16, was she really going to go up against the producers and all of their (?) experience and say no?

flyingsit
05-23-2012, 01:59 PM
Apparently they had multiple songs they could choose from; Jessica even said she chose it because she thought it would show off her voice the best. And she could have chosen to have a different arrangement and instrumentation if she wanted it to have a different feel.

cruisin
05-23-2012, 02:02 PM
Apparently they had multiple songs they could choose from; Jessica even said she chose it because she thought it would show off her voice the best. And she could have chosen to have a different arrangement and instrumentation if she wanted it to have a different feel.

Yes, I heard that. But, I wonder if they really do have that much input. First, how many original songs do they have? Second, does a 16 year old have the confidence to debate the choice with the show producers? I think this is all PTB manipulation. They want another cute white guy to win, they used insurance.

birdgal
05-23-2012, 02:32 PM
If ITunes is any indicator, Phillip is ahead by miles with his 3rd song being reviewed and downloaded the most frequently. This has been very steady throughout the entire competition.

JILEN
05-23-2012, 03:08 PM
I didn't understand all of the criticism Jessica got for the final song. She didn't pick it, why was that her fault. They should have said the song was wrong for her, that she did the best she could with it, but they understood she didn't choose it. Instead, they made it sound like she should have told the producers to pick something else - like what? These were songs written for them to sing as finale songs. And she's 16, was she really going to go up against the producers and all of their (?) experience and say no?

This!

All the crappy, sappy songs they made her sing last nightmade me think they're trying to sabotage her somewhat :(. She's so much better than those overused Whitney ballads.

taf2002
05-23-2012, 03:11 PM

Jessica is a singer not a musician. I doubt she has the ability to rearrange songs. Proof of that is the way she sings every cover exactly like the original. Thia Magia had the same problem....both had beautiful voices with no clue how to entertain with them.

ETA from the snippets you get on iTunes Haley album is really good. Let's see now how much she gets promoted.

cruisin
05-23-2012, 04:02 PM
Jessica is a singer not a musician. I doubt she has the ability to rearrange songs. Proof of that is the way she sings every cover exactly like the original. Thia Magia had the same problem....both had beautiful voices with no clue how to entertain with them.

ETA from the snippets you get on iTunes Haley album is really good. Let's see now how much she gets promoted.

But, I think singers can learn how to arrange and entertain. If you can't sing, all to the stage presence in the world won't make you one.

KikiSashaFan
05-23-2012, 04:31 PM
But, I think singers can learn how to arrange and entertain. If you can't sing, all to the stage presence in the world won't make you one.

Tell that to Jennifer.

victoriaheidi
05-23-2012, 05:14 PM
I'm a singer. When I was 16, I don't think I knew much about arranging or rearranging songs. That was someone else's job. But I had a great vocal coach who encouraged me to explore and try new things with songs--and genres.

I'm 18 now, and I have learned a lot about how to put my own spin on a song. No, I don't have the theory ability to literally sit down and rewrite a part, but I do enjoy changing up melodies, rhythms, harmony parts, speeds, everything. And I've learned how to communicate these desires to others (musicians, producers, other singers).

The reason I don't want Jessica to win is because I see a lot of me in Jessica. When I was 16, I was so sure that I was a certain kind of singer with a certain kind of voice and style and that was who I was and I'd do that forever and ever and ever...but now I know that there's so much more to my voice and style. I'm not limited the way I was when I was 16, and I can't imagine if I would have grown that way had I had major success and validation at 16.

[Not saying that Jess doesn't have a great voice. Again, it's an identity issue, and she doesn't need to be saddled with her 16-year-old reputation if it doesn't fit her right in a year or two.]

phoenixflamezzz
05-23-2012, 08:26 PM
132 million votes cast apparently.

DialIdol prediction is too close to call.

Social media index predictors have Jessica in front.

I'm gonna call this one for Jessica. Cautiously.

cruisin
05-23-2012, 08:36 PM
Tell that to Jennifer.

She's only 16, she'll develop that.

I'm a singer. When I was 16, I don't think I knew much about arranging or rearranging songs. That was someone else's job. But I had a great vocal coach who encouraged me to explore and try new things with songs--and genres.

I'm 18 now, and I have learned a lot about how to put my own spin on a song. No, I don't have the theory ability to literally sit down and rewrite a part, but I do enjoy changing up melodies, rhythms, harmony parts, speeds, everything. And I've learned how to communicate these desires to others (musicians, producers, other singers).

The reason I don't want Jessica to win is because I see a lot of me in Jessica. When I was 16, I was so sure that I was a certain kind of singer with a certain kind of voice and style and that was who I was and I'd do that forever and ever and ever...but now I know that there's so much more to my voice and style. I'm not limited the way I was when I was 16, and I can't imagine if I would have grown that way had I had major success and validation at 16.

[Not saying that Jess doesn't have a great voice. Again, it's an identity issue, and she doesn't need to be saddled with her 16-year-old reputation if it doesn't fit her right in a year or two.]

Thank you for this post. Very well said, and your perspective is from having been there.

numbers123
05-23-2012, 08:48 PM
I'm gonna call this one for Jessica. Cautiously.

That's my bet too - because they need a girl to win.