PDA

View Full Version : American Idol Finale: WGWG or Bebe Chez? (5/22/12)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22

phoenixflamezzz
05-26-2012, 07:41 PM
If it were still between him and Jessica for the final two, then yes, I think he would have definitely won. He'd still be a nice, humble boy with a guitar singing and appealing to girls and moms everywhere. In fact, he'd be a Mumford and Sons version of Bruno Mars.

That doesn't even make sense. The heck does a Mumford and Sons version of Bruno Mars mean? You're making comparisons conflating style with ethnicity that isn't logical.

To take your point, however, this "Mumford and Sons version of Bruno Mars" that you speak of, if he had given the same performances P2 did for most of the season (especially that mid-season streak of abysmal performances), wouldn't have gone anywhere near the Top 2.

cailuj365
05-26-2012, 08:09 PM
I just called out Bruno Mars because of his own ethnicity, also half-Filipino and half-Latino. He's also a male singer with a guitar who's not bad on the eyes. I wasn't trying to compare P2's musical style to Bruno's style at all. It's why I put "Mumford and Sons version."

But I still don't think race has as much as a factor to do with male/female here.

taf2002
05-26-2012, 10:36 PM
But I still don't think race has as much as a factor to do with male/female here.

I agree.

I said "Because people here who support a contestant do so because of their voice, not their ethniticity." What I meant was, a lot of non-black people supported Joshua, not because he is black but because they like big voices like that. I liked Erika, not because she is white but because I like that bluesy type of voice. Non-Filipinos supported Jessica because they like that big ballad type voice. I suppose some Filipinos supported her for the same reason, but that news article made it clear she was robbed because of "lack of racial diversity".

I don't like people playing the race card when they lose. Tons of people on this board said that Jessica is hugely talented but she had little to no connection to the music, therefore she was not their fave. It had NOTHING to do with her race.

And I don't really care what non-Americans think of American TV shows. If they don't like it, don't watch. But the outcome of our shows don't have to satisfy or placate non-Americans. After all, which countries produce shows specifically to appeal to Americans?

Sally1214
05-27-2012, 08:51 AM
Stepping away from the P2-Jessica debate for just a second:

Am I the only one who is HAPPY that Adam Lambert's second album has debuted at #1 on Billboard? I feel this fits in this thread because Adam DID perform on this season of IDOL. IMO, this rocks! It's been 3 long years in the making ... but, FINALLY, Adam has landed at the top of the charts. And, rightly so, his sophomore album is really, really good.

GO, ADAM!!!!!!

PrincessLeppard
05-27-2012, 02:05 PM
I need to pick that up today. I could just download it, but I like to own the CDs of my favorite artists. :)

cailuj365
05-27-2012, 02:49 PM
There were a few posts congratulating Adam on his #1 earlier in the thread. I'm definitely delighted for him. He's been doing a string of shows this week, and from the Youtube videos, you can see how much he's absolutely enjoying this moment. It really shows in his performances. Some people try to lessen the achievement because the actual sales number was not that high, but in that case, I refer them to this article: http://blogs.villagevoice.com/music/2012/05/adam_lambert_trespassing_number_one.php. Since absolute sales number are starting to lose relevancy in the digital age, the ranking to me is far more important.

What's also great is that Adam's Trespassing is the first #1 album from an out gay artist in America. :kickass:

skatesindreams
05-27-2012, 03:13 PM
I'm very pleased for Adam.
He's very gifted; and living his dream in an extremely tough and unforgiving business.
Enjoy your success!

cailuj365
05-27-2012, 04:08 PM
Billboard also said that his #1 was all the more impressive since he didn't have a lot of promo for it. He doesn't have a hit single off it yet either.

A sneak peek to the "Never Close Our Eyes" music video (http://youtu.be/pv0zGKWHHUM). I think it looks really cool. The whole video comes out Tuesday.

Lastly, here's a really great performance of "Kickin In" from the album (http://youtu.be/Bxmvc34-jgM?t=3m30s). If this had been on Adam's first album, I think it would have been my favorite song. On Trespassing, it's only my sixth or seventh favorite. That's how good this album is! :)

jenny12
05-27-2012, 05:49 PM
I'm very pleased for Adam.
He's very gifted; and living his dream in an extremely tough and unforgiving business.
Enjoy your success!

Me too. His album has been getting some strong reviews and I'm glad to hear about his success.

PeterG
05-27-2012, 10:29 PM
Heejun's camp has just posted a youtube video today, a cover of "How Deep Is Your Love" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2S2fXMYQUEE) as a dedication to Robin Gibb. As much as I'm a fan of Heejun's, I think I like the female singer (Arden Cho) in the video even more. :40beers:

Am I the only one who is HAPPY that Adam Lambert's second album has debuted at #1 on Billboard?

Nope. I'm ecstatic! :respec: :D

What I am displeased about is that Lambert's fans have made his album #1, but radio won't play his new music. It's not like he is Jack Johnson or somebody whose music doesn't mesh well with pop radio these days... :mad:

BigB08822
05-28-2012, 02:52 AM
To be fair, Adam and his team haven't exactly picked the best singles. They seem to have a problem with this, remember when they picked For Your Entertainment as the first single? Horrible choice. Better Than I Know Myself was all wrong and the newest single is better but I feel there are other better choices on the album.

PrincessLeppard
05-28-2012, 04:02 AM
I got the CD and played it on the drive home from my parents' house. I can't stop listening to "Never Close Our Eyes." I love the soaring melody all the way through, and it reminds me of a boy I once stayed up all night talking to and being silly. The relationship didn't work out, but the song just brought back all those emotions of that first meeting. :)

cailuj365
05-28-2012, 04:46 AM
To be fair, Adam and his team haven't exactly picked the best singles. They seem to have a problem with this, remember when they picked For Your Entertainment as the first single? Horrible choice. Better Than I Know Myself was all wrong and the newest single is better but I feel there are other better choices on the album.

My thoughts exactly. And this is pure speculation, but I feel like there has to be some kind of contract with Dr. Luke that says that any of his tracks with Adam must be released as a single. If so, it's terrible because all three of those songs are his and they all kind of suck as singles. I know some people here love "Never Close Our Eyes," but the whole song just doesn't flow for me. I feel like it's a mid-tempo song that got shoved into a high-tempo dance beat. It's not as bad as BTIKM, but I don't think it's particularly strong either.

Before "Never Close Our Eyes" was chosen as a single, they had released snippets of "Trespassing," "Cuckoo," "Never Close Our Eyes," and "Naked Love." There was a fan-made poll for which song should be the next single, and NCOE was last with only a tiny fraction of votes! Cuckoo had the most. But of course, they announce NCOE as a single. :/ I feel like they are going by name association (Bruno Mars/Dr. Luke in this case) rather than the actual quality of the song to sell the single to radio. My next fear is that they're going to choose "Naked Love," which is this throwback 90s song that would be great for Katy Perry but doesn't work for me at all with Adam.

I think Adam really, really wants a radio smash, because that's kind of the only missing part right now. He has a really good album, a loyal fanbase, a killer voice, awesome performance skills, and a star personality. But I can't see him getting it when they keep picking these songs with mediocre hooks, and it kind of kills me when there are great songs with great hooks on the same album. *sigh* But what do I know. I'm just a fan who thinks about this stuff way too much.

Sally1214
05-28-2012, 05:06 AM
Lastly, here's a really great performance of "Kickin In" from the album (http://youtu.be/Bxmvc34-jgM?t=3m30s). If this had been on Adam's first album, I think it would have been my favorite song. On Trespassing, it's only my sixth or seventh favorite. That's how good this album is! :)\

Thanks SO much for the link to Kickin' In. That performance is just FUN, FUN, FUN! He really feeds off the audience reaction and they are certainly lovin' it.

I simply cannot pick a favorite song from this album. Contenders are Cuckoo, Shady, Kickin' In, Never Close our Eyes but I can't pick just one and say "that my favorite." I also love Runnin', Trespassing and Underneath. Oh heck, I just like the whole album. :)

Oreo
05-28-2012, 07:24 AM
Did anybody see Jessica Sanchez perform at the Memorial Day Concert in Washington D.C.on PBS tonight? She was lovely. I hope she has a great career ahead of her.