PDA

View Full Version : American Idol Finale: WGWG or Bebe Chez? (5/22/12)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

Garden Kitty
05-25-2012, 08:31 PM
Article regarding contract terms and potential paydays for Jessica and other AI finalists (http://music.yahoo.com/news/idol-moves-toward-lower-payouts-runners-165310140.html)

Allskate
05-25-2012, 09:15 PM
I've mostly seen Jessica referred to as Filipino/Latino.

I think PeterG's point was that both Jessica and Phillip are Americans. Jessica has Filipino and Mexican ancestry and Phillip has European ancestry. There have been some references to Jessica that refer to her as Filipino rather than American or Filipino-American.

Sadly, I'm guessing that Phillip would have had a harder time getting votes if he were of Filipino and Mexican ancestry. Strangely, Phillip is saying in interviews that he's not a particularly good singer. What's weirder is that he's saying that he won't do that much singing on tour. He'll be jamming. :confused:

phoenixflamezzz
05-25-2012, 09:39 PM
What's weirder is that he's saying that he won't do that much singing on tour. He'll be jamming. :confused:

We got a preview of that with "Home,'" no? 50 seconds of actual singing, and then the rest was "oh oh oh oh oh oh" and the marching band. :lol:

BigB08822
05-25-2012, 10:54 PM
I listened to Home for the first time and really like it. It reminds me a lot of Mumford and Sons. May not be a huge radio hit but a nice song. I just don't expect Idol winners to be successful anymore.

shan
05-26-2012, 01:57 AM
I listened to Home for the first time and really like it. It reminds me a lot of Mumford and Sons. May not be a huge radio hit but a nice song. I just don't expect Idol winners to be successful anymore.

I like "Home" better than past songs.

nypanda
05-26-2012, 02:15 AM
I thought "Home" sounded like Hee Haw with a marching band.... :shuffle:

moebius
05-26-2012, 05:31 AM
ETA: this is the height of ridiculousness - http://news.yahoo.com/philippines-grief-sanchezs-american-idol-loss-094844335.html

President Benigno Aquino led the heartbroken Philippines in heaping praise Thursday on a teenager of Filipino-Latino heritage following her loss in the final of US talent show "American Idol".

Upset Filipinos vented their anger on Twitter and Facebook, with many saying the loss did not reflect ethnic diversity in the United States.

Heartbroken? Give me a break. It's a TV show. And wasn't the support for Jessica due to her being Filipino? Where's the diversity in that?

They are only upset because a Filipino lost, not because a singer with a better voice lost out to someone who doesn't really sing. If Jessica wasn't Filipino, I don't think they would be upset about it.

manhn
05-26-2012, 05:39 AM
How is venting anger on twitter or facebook different from anything posted in this thread? So, because I'm not American, I can't comment on the results?

taf2002
05-26-2012, 04:03 PM
Because people here who support a contestant do so because of their voice, not their ethniticity. Usually we don't hear a peep from the Philippines about who they like on American Idol. They only became vocal this year.

If you were watching British X-Factor or Britain Has Talent & there was one lone American competing would you automatically like that American over all the others & be outraged if he/she didn't win? Would Obama get involved & make a public statement & would Americans stay away from school & jobs because we were too upset? This was not simply people expressing their preference for a contestant on a talent show. This was people choosing a contestant based on her race & then making the outcome a racial issue.

manhn
05-26-2012, 04:55 PM
Because people here who support a contestant do so because of their voice, not their ethniticity.

Ethnicity, heh?

Yes, I have never ever heard of one American vote for a contestant because they are from the same city or state. Oh, never ever.

And American politicians not discussing pop culture? That never happens!

And people at FSU are just so pure that they vote for people based on "their voice". Never because they're hot, they're less annoying than the other contestant, or they're from their hometown.

PeterG
05-26-2012, 05:12 PM
Yes, I have never ever heard of one American vote for a contestant because they are from the same city or state. Oh, never ever.

You're just prejudiced against Southerners. And men. And Caucasians. And those who strap a guitar around their neck.

:P

And people at FSU are just so pure that they vote for people based on "their voice". Never because they're hot, they're less annoying than the other contestant, or they're from their hometown.

Did you mean to put annoying in quotation marks? :) How about not voting for people because they are too young or underdeveloped (rather than whether they can sing or not)? That's like saying if the Beatles, circa 1962 or so, were on the show, should not have been voted through because they weren't "developed" yet. :lol:

Or voting for someone because they are an "artiste". (Like those kinds of people try out for American Idol in droves!) :D

Because people here who support a contestant do so because of their voice, not their ethniticity. Usually we don't hear a peep from the Philippines about who they like on American Idol. They only became vocal this year.

If you were watching British X-Factor or Britain Has Talent & there was one lone American competing would you automatically like that American over all the others & be outraged if he/she didn't win? Would Obama get involved & make a public statement & would Americans stay away from school & jobs because we were too upset? This was not simply people expressing their preference for a contestant on a talent show. This was people choosing a contestant based on her race & then making the outcome a racial issue.

To me, this was about representation. Shows like American Idol are not global programs thanks to Youtube and similar websites. And they are a wonderful forum for people to see under-represented groups. The geeks, the gays, the single Moms, the devoutly religious, etc. Plus we get to see people from various ethnicities that we rarely see in the pop music world (or in other forms of entertainment).

As an example, ask the average person from the Phillipines who their five favourite American singers are. You would have an answer within a minute. Ask any American who their five favourite vocalists of Filipino heritages. That might take longer than one minute, no? :lol:

Allskate
05-26-2012, 06:19 PM
Because people here who support a contestant do so because of their voice, not their ethniticity.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Usually we don't hear a peep from the Philippines about who they like on American Idol. They only became vocal this year

This would come as a huge shock to Idol contestants such as David Archuletta. The Phillippines loooooves American Idol. Funny how certain people didn't care about Filipino fandom until they got scared that a reallllllllly talented girl with some Filipino ancestry might win.

We don't generally see anti-Filipino posts during the American Idol season. Not until someone who has Filipino ancestry is on the show and is so freaking talented that people fear she might win. :( I really hope Jessica doesn't read online comments.

If race and ethinicity were an overall factor in this competition, it wasn't to Jessica's benefit. Given some of the bigoted comments made online and given the comparative vocal talent of the finalists, it's understandable why people would be questioning the reasons for the results. If I were Filipino, I'd be upset. Not because I'd think that a Filipino-American should automatically win, but because I'd worry that the reason the phenomenally talented singer didn't win was because she was Filipino-American. Can any of you really say with a straight face that you think that P2 would have won Idol if he had the same ancestry as Jessica?

cailuj365
05-26-2012, 06:34 PM
Can any of you really say with a straight face that you think that P2 would have won Idol if he had the same ancestry as Jessica?

If it were still between him and Jessica for the final two, then yes, I think he would have definitely won. He'd still be a nice, humble boy with a guitar singing and appealing to girls and moms everywhere. In fact, he'd be a Mumford and Sons version of Bruno Mars.

victoriaheidi
05-26-2012, 07:12 PM
If race and ethinicity were an overall factor in this competition, it wasn't to Jessica's benefit. Given some of the bigoted comments made online and given the comparative vocal talent of the finalists, it's understandable why people would be questioning the reasons for the results. If I were Filipino, I'd be upset. Not because I'd think that a Filipino-American should automatically win, but because I'd worry that the reason the phenomenally talented singer didn't win was because she was Filipino-American. Can any of you really say with a straight face that you think that P2 would have won Idol if he had the same ancestry as Jessica?

I never even saw it as racism, but sexism. Face it, Idol's viewers are mostly female and vote for the eye candy.

skatesindreams
05-26-2012, 07:41 PM
P2 has a "boy next door" vibe, which appeals to Mothers and Grandmothers too!