PDA

View Full Version : American Idol Finale: WGWG or Bebe Chez? (5/22/12)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

PeterG
05-25-2012, 12:40 AM
I recorded the finale, but haven't watched it yet. But I just saw online that Jessica's duet is with Ms. Holliday...I read this thread wrong and though it was with Ms. Hudson. All I can say is...OMG. Jennifer Holliday is a freak of nature. She still has it. I love Jessica, but Ms. Holliday would have been even better (if that's possible) if they just let her have the stage to herself (sorry, Jessica!). One of my favourite JH songs is "No Frills Love". Here is a live version she did on TV when it was released (albeit with the recorded backing track): Jennifer Holliday - No Frills Love (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niMC9TuEKSo). Anybody talking about what she was wearing (:rolleyes:) is missing the point in so many ways. Cheers to Jennifer that was able to lose as much weight as she did and has kept it off. Go Jennifer! :respec:

Jessica will be fine.
After her Idol obligations, a producer will find her and mold her into whatever the music industry is looking for: "the next _____".

And I think Phillip will be fine. After his kidney stones operation, the AI producers will have him fetched and continue to mold him into what the music industry is looking for: the next Mumford and Sons.

:)

phoenixflamezzz
05-25-2012, 01:11 AM
Apparently, P2 is not a fan of "Home."

Compared to an original of his I heard today, though, it's like Fur Elise. :lol:
No evidence of the magical songwriting ability, musicianship, or originality I keep hearing about. :scream:

Allskate
05-25-2012, 03:26 AM
I never said that Jessica was going to have the same level of success as Beyonce. I brought up Beyonce because somebody said Jessica didn't know who she was as an artist. I think it's pretty clear what kind of music she wants to make, and it's the kind of music that Beyonce makes.

Apparently, P2 is not a fan of "Home."

When I first heard that, I thought that maybe he didn't like it because it was too "Mumford and Sons." That was the only song of his that gave me that kind of vibe. But, he reportedly told Jimmy that this wasn't going to be his single because it's too pop. He apparently was not given a choice about the song or the arrangment.

Also, he said the reason he didn't sing the melodies is because that's not who he is and he needed to get people ready for the type of album he's going to make.

I wish they would have cameras rolling when Jimmy finally has a conversation with him about the album. I can't imagine that Jimmy is going to invest in an album that has no melodies and even less of a pop sound than "Home."

And we loved the Jennifer and Jessica duet. We were laughing so hard at Jennifer's expressions but they both were rocking it. :respec:

Phillip said this was his favorite part of the finale.

If Jordin can have some measure of success, then I see no reason why Jessica can't have some success. I thought that Hollie sounded better than Jordin last night, and I definitely think that Jessica is more talented. But, Jordin won her season and that gets her more promotion, better material and production, etc. We'll see what they do with Jessica.

phoenixflamezzz
05-25-2012, 04:26 AM
Word is that Tommoy Mottola will be producing Jessica's album.

Oy. I really hope he doesn't take her the 90s power ballad route.

BigB08822
05-25-2012, 07:09 AM
Word is that Tommoy Mottola will be producing Jessica's album.

Oy. I really hope he doesn't take her the 90s power ballad route.

These old geezers don't produce new artists and have hits for a reason. There are so many fresh and new producers out there that Jessica could work with.

PeterG
05-25-2012, 07:11 AM
Also, he said the reason he didn't sing the melodies is because...

He said something about how he doesn't sing melodies??!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

cailuj365
05-25-2012, 02:55 PM
Phillip should just take "Home" and deal with it. It's gonna be better than anything else he can come up with in the next week or so. It's really not a bad song at all either.

I see Jessica as the new Charice. Lots of hype as a young, talented girl with a big voice, but not sure if she'll have any hit songs.

taf2002
05-25-2012, 03:12 PM
I thought that Hollie sounded better than Jordin last night,

I thought that too but didn't say it because I thought people would think I'm crazy. She comes alive when someone joins her on stage. I wish Hollie had waited another year or two. The judges were right last year that she wasn't ready & IMO she still wasn't. Most of her group songs & duets were 1000 X better than her solos, Bleeding Love & Mountain High being the exceptions.

I think Jordin is talented & has come a long way since she won but I really didn't agree with her winning. I didn't think she was ready either at the time. She had some really bad nights in the early part of the competition & probably should have been eliminated around #6 or #7. But she competed in a very weak season. The fact that Blake Lewis was #2 tells a lot. I thought the finale should have been Melinda Doolittle & someone like Phil Stacy or Chris Sligh.

I believe both Hollie & Jessica will be much better entertainers after the tour. Their voices were ready but stage presence (Hollie) & connection with the song & the audience (Jessica) weren't.

birdgal
05-25-2012, 03:28 PM
I thought that too but didn't say it because I thought people would think I'm crazy. She comes alive when someone joins her on stage. I wish Hollie had waited another year or too. The judges were right last year that she wasn't ready & IMO she still wasn't. Most of her group songs & duets were 1000 X better than her solos, Bleeding Love & Mountain High being the exceptions.

I think Jordin is talented & has come a long way since she won but I really didn't agree with her winning. I didn't think she was ready either at the time. She had some really bad nights in the early part of the competition & probably should have been eliminated around #6 or #7. But she competed in a very weak season. The fact that Blake Lewis was #2 tells a lot. I thought the finale should have been Melinda Doolittle & someone like Phil Stacy or Chris Sligh.

I believe both Hollie & Jessica will be much better entertainers after the tour. Their voices were ready but stage presence (Hollie) & connection with the song & the audience (Jessica) weren't.

ITA. Hollie has such a fantastic, big voice, but she does need work on her stage presence. Hopefully, the tour will give her and all the idols some seasoning that will help them to grow as entertainers. When I listen to the itunes of Hollie's songs, the tone and richness of her voice blows me away.

Jessica also has the voice, but I hope she doesn't go the ballad route. I think she has said that R&B is her interest.

Fridge_Break
05-25-2012, 04:15 PM
I heard that Philip had 8 surgeries during his time on Idol... anyone heard likewise?

taf2002
05-25-2012, 04:35 PM
I heard that Philip had 8 surgeries during his time on Idol... anyone heard likewise?

Not surgeries, but procedures. It is very rare to cut into the kidneys although apparently that will happen next week. We have a lot of this problem in my family. There are 2 common procedures: sound waves are used in an effort to break up the stone so it can pass. If that doesn't work they can insert a catheter & then a tiny scope is inserted into that to catch & remove a stone that can't pass on its own. Both procedures are extremely painful. My dad & my youngest brother have been thru this many times & my brother had the surgery last year.

ETA: this is the height of ridiculousness - http://news.yahoo.com/philippines-grief-sanchezs-american-idol-loss-094844335.html

President Benigno Aquino led the heartbroken Philippines in heaping praise Thursday on a teenager of Filipino-Latino heritage following her loss in the final of US talent show "American Idol".

Upset Filipinos vented their anger on Twitter and Facebook, with many saying the loss did not reflect ethnic diversity in the United States.

Heartbroken? Give me a break. It's a TV show. And wasn't the support for Jessica due to her being Filipino? Where's the diversity in that?

Aceon6
05-25-2012, 05:39 PM
Phillip should just take "Home" and deal with it. It's gonna be better than anything else he can come up with in the next week or so. It's really not a bad song at all either.

Kelly was very worried that she'd be stuck singing "A Moment Like This" at every freaking concert for the rest of her life. Fortunately, her first album was good enough that she was able to ditch AMLG pretty quickly.

cailuj365
05-25-2012, 05:54 PM
Kelly was very worried that she'd be stuck singing "A Moment Like This" at every freaking concert for the rest of her life. Fortunately, her first album was good enough that she was able to ditch AMLG pretty quickly.

I'm not saying he has to sing it his whole life, but it's quite a good first single to have coming right off the show. They really could have given him much worse. "Home" is infinitely less cheesy than "A Moment Like This."

PeterG
05-25-2012, 05:56 PM
I find it strange how two Americans are referred to as Filipino and American. :huh:

taf2002
05-25-2012, 06:17 PM
I find it strange how two Americans are referred to as Filipino and American. :huh:

I've mostly seen Jessica referred to as Filipino/Latino.