PDA

View Full Version : American Idol Finale: WGWG or Bebe Chez? (5/22/12)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

taf2002
05-24-2012, 04:58 PM
The only Jordin song I have ever heard on the radio is the one she did with Chris Brown. So I'm not sure what success you're talking about. She got the regular post-Idol push, with National Anthem singing at sports venues & her fans bought her 1st album. Most Idol winners do fairly well with their 1st album but if they can't sustain any kind of popularity I wouldn't hold them up as an example for Jessica. And Jessica didn't even win so she probably won't be promoted as well as the winner.

Cheylana
05-24-2012, 05:18 PM
I gave up on this show after Lee DeWyze won but tuned in for a little bit of the finale to discover the finalists were WGWGv.5.0 versus "OMG, she's only 16 years old, can you believe it!" Wow, how different and refreshing for American Idol! (Needless to say I changed the channel.)

numbers123
05-24-2012, 05:26 PM
The only Jordin song I have ever heard on the radio is the one she did with Chris Brown. So I'm not sure what success you're talking about. She got the regular post-Idol push, with National Anthem singing at sports venues & her fans bought her 1st album. Most Idol winners do fairly well with their 1st album but if they can't sustain any kind of popularity I wouldn't hold them up as an example for Jessica. And Jessica didn't even win so she probably won't be promoted as well as the winner.

I agree - I listen to a station that plays everything from Beyonce, Kelly Clarkson, Whitney, Cookie, and to some country cross-over. I have not heard Jordin since her first album. She might get a boost from the Target commercials with their new whatever, but she will never be a Beyonce or Coby (is that how you spell her name) Calli. Jessica might be, but she doesn't really have it now. Maybe in 5 or so years, but by then another wanna be angsty big belt voice will come along.

I think that P2 will have a career like Cook or Allen - playing in smaller venues being happy to just be able to do his music.

I also heard a talk show that was discussing artists who say that it is more difficult to engage yourself in your music unless you have had some pain or angst. Jessica does not have the maturity to do angst or sing about love lost. What was missing majorly with Jessica's duo with Jennifer was simply the angst. You can know the words, the melody, watched the movements, but the real angst of a love lost - uh no. It was a lot of shouting but without the heartfelt I have been left by you angst.

phoenixflamezzz
05-24-2012, 05:34 PM
The only Jordin song I have ever heard on the radio is the one she did with Chris Brown. So I'm not sure what success you're talking about.

Tattoo: Top 40 Radio #5, Platinum
No Air (feat. Chris Brown): Top 40 Radio #2, 3x Platinum
One Step At A Time: Top 40 Radio #5, Platinum
Battlefield: Top 40 Radio #6, Platinum

All performed better on the radio than any song off of Beyonce's last album.

victoriaheidi
05-24-2012, 05:36 PM
^^Colbie Caillat :)

ETA: The only Jordin song I've ever really heard is "One Step At A Time."

nypanda
05-24-2012, 06:33 PM
I haven't watched last night's show yet but I have seen a clip of Jessica & JH singing. Simon Cowell would have called it indulgent. I found it extremely unpleasant & show-offy.

If she wrote the BOOK I sure don't want to read it.

Too bad. You might find it enlighting. Singers like Jennifer Hudson owe their careers to the bridges Ms. Holiday built between American pop music and theatre, and trails she blazed for African American women on both fronts. She paid dearly for it -- some of that you saw on said "clip".

It's like seeing Dick Button skating at a benefit and saying "who's that ridiculous old guy? He's no Patrick Chan...."

PrincessLeppard
05-24-2012, 06:42 PM
I can appreciate all that, but still not like that style of music. Just as I can appreciate that Chan has excellent skating skills, but not like his skating. ;)

skatesindreams
05-24-2012, 06:43 PM
I'm sure that Jordin's career will get a big surge with the general audience when "Sparkle" is released .
Even if the movie isn't good, Whitney Houston's legion of fans will want to see it.

nypanda
05-24-2012, 06:56 PM
My point exactly, PL! :)

taf2002
05-24-2012, 08:20 PM
Tattoo: Top 40 Radio #5, Platinum
No Air (feat. Chris Brown): Top 40 Radio #2, 3x Platinum
One Step At A Time: Top 40 Radio #5, Platinum
Battlefield: Top 40 Radio #6, Platinum

All performed better on the radio than any song off of Beyonce's last album.

I heard Tattoo because I looked it up on the internet. I have never heard it, or One Step at a Time or Battlefield on the radio. I listen to several radio stations, one of them is Ryan Seacrest's show in the afternoons. I have never even heard her on his show other than No Air with Chris Brown. I hear Beyonce all the time. Just sayin'.

Too bad. You might find it enlighting. Singers like Jennifer Hudson owe their careers to the bridges Ms. Holiday built between American pop music and theatre, and trails she blazed for African American women on both fronts. She paid dearly for it -- some of that you saw on said "clip".

It's like seeing Dick Button skating at a benefit and saying "who's that ridiculous old guy? He's no Patrick Chan...."

I have now watched the whole finale but I did FF the parts I didn't like, including Jessica's duet with Jennifer Holliday. JH has a wonderful rich voice but when I listen to music I don't really think about the person's struggles to be heard....most singers have to pay their dues...some more than most. The main thing for me is do I find it pleasing? When a singer shows off their range by endless runs & shouting/screaming (like Joshua) I don't find it pleasant.

I loved Skylar & Reba's duet & Hollie & Jordin's. Did anyone else notice how much Hollie improved as soon as Jordin joined her on stage? I thought she started out really shaky & non-impressive but while she was singing with Jordin, she more than held her own. I just wished they had sung something young.

Rob
05-24-2012, 08:28 PM
WHAT?!?!?

Bless.....just...bless.

Jennifer. Freaking. Holiday. Wrote the BOOK. Who cares what she LOOKS LIKE?!? Girlfriend SANGS like no one, anywhere, anytime. Ever.

Bless....

I know that was amazing, The power.

phoenixflamezzz
05-24-2012, 08:48 PM
I heard Tattoo because I looked it up on the internet. I have never heard it, or One Step at a Time or Battlefield on the radio. I listen to several radio stations, one of them is Ryan Seacrest's show in the afternoons. I have never even heard her on his show other than No Air with Chris Brown. I hear Beyonce all the time. Just sayin'.

I'm giving you facts, not anecdotal evidences. Just sayin'.

--

And yeeeesss, that Jennifer/Jessica duet was off the charts. Loved it. Incredible on so many different levels. The singing, the drama, Jennifer's faces...all of it. Awesome

Jenna
05-24-2012, 11:36 PM
Phillip's "Home" is currently #1 on iTunes. It's very good indeed.

PRlady
05-24-2012, 11:46 PM
I gave up on this show after Lee DeWyze won but tuned in for a little bit of the finale to discover the finalists were WGWGv.5.0 versus "OMG, she's only 16 years old, can you believe it!" Wow, how different and refreshing for American Idol! (Needless to say I changed the channel.)

I didn't even tune in when Phillip made it to the final. He was my least favorite finalist except for the squeaky curly-haired guy, I found nothing distinctive in his voice or singing style at all. And Jessica is indeed too young.

Another year shot. Who cares.

cailuj365
05-25-2012, 12:09 AM
So, I finally watched clips of Idol this season, and...OMG, I love Jessica. She's majorly talented. Her voice is incredible. She actually impresses me more than Allison Iraheta did. My coworker (not the one who loves Phillip) and I just spent the last 20 minutes watching Jessica's performances, and we're really disturbed that she lost. :lol: I hope she goes on to have some success because daaamn girl. Saaaang!

And we loved the Jennifer and Jessica duet. We were laughing so hard at Jennifer's expressions but they both were rocking it. :respec:

Don't really care for Phillip. He's fine, he's nice, but he's not that great. I don't think he's even as good as Kris Allen.