PDA

View Full Version : American Idol Finale: WGWG or Bebe Chez? (5/22/12)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

Allskate
05-24-2012, 04:55 AM
Don't you remember the clip of Skylar riding her ATV and shooting her rifle? Oh, and when she said she missed her gun? :eek: She definitely hasn't been as sheltered as some of the other contestants.

Phillip has been coping with chronic medical issues, worked in a pawn shop, and is largely self taught. His brother in law helped him to get started in music.

Granted not much to go on.

Really not much. More importantly, I don't see much of these experiences in their music. Plus, I don't think Skylar talking about her guns and ATV, or knowing about the pawn shop and kideny stones gave us any more insight than Jessica talking about how she loves clothes and fashion and how she misses her dad when he is deployed with the Navy.

Oreo
05-24-2012, 06:01 AM
The only performances I really liked tonight were those of John Fogerty and Arrowsmith. Everything else was painful. Way too much screaming with that Jennifer Holliday woman, Joshua, and Fantasia. That Philip guy isn't going to last long; there are guys singing at the local coffeehouse with better looks and voices. He's going to vanish faster than Lee D.

victoriaheidi
05-24-2012, 06:17 AM
The thing about Skylar and P2 vs. Jessica has nothing to do with, IMO, anything other than just self-awareness. Which comes not with any specific life experiences, but with experiences that impact the person involved in some way--even in a happy way.

As I just said in my kitchen (and said a few pages up), if I were bound to 16-year-old me for the rest of my life, I'd miss out on a lot.

moebius
05-24-2012, 06:40 AM
When did they stop showing satellite coverage of the hometown fans of the finalists during the finale?

PrincessLeppard
05-24-2012, 12:54 PM
He's going to vanish faster than Lee D.

I don't believe that's possible.

I think P2 will do about as well as Cookie and Kris. :)

I still don't know who the hell was voting for Lee. The only week I liked him was when he did "Treat Her Like a Lady."

birdgal
05-24-2012, 02:18 PM
The thing about Skylar and P2 vs. Jessica has nothing to do with, IMO, anything other than just self-awareness. Which comes not with any specific life experiences, but with experiences that impact the person involved in some way--even in a happy way.

As I just said in my kitchen (and said a few pages up), if I were bound to 16-year-old me for the rest of my life, I'd miss out on a lot.

Thank heavens that we are not bound to our 16 year old selves.

GarrAarghHrumph
05-24-2012, 02:36 PM
Ugh.....that "song" is "O Superman" by Laurie Anderson, which was recorded/released in (IIRC) 1981. The entire version of it is over 8 minutes of agonizing torture :scream: - before MTV arrived in Atlanta, we had a local video music channel, and they played that damn thing about 12 times a day...

I used to work on an independent radio station back in the 1980s, and things were pretty low-tech. So much so that if I needed to go to the bathroom, which was not nearby, I needed to find the longest record I could, and just hope I could get back into the studio before it ended. For a bit, this Laurie Anderson song did the trick, until I found an even longer PIL song. So I wonder if your local station played the song not because they liked it, but because someone had to tinkle? :lol:

Aceon6
05-24-2012, 02:47 PM
I used to work on an independent radio station back in the 1980s, and things were pretty low-tech. So much so that if I needed to go to the bathroom, which was not nearby, I needed to find the longest record I could, and just hope I could get back into the studio before it ended. For a bit, this Laurie Anderson song did the trick, until I found an even longer PIL song. So I wonder if your local station played the song not because they liked it, but because someone had to tinkle? :lol:

The full version of American Pie and In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida (if they had autosequencing turntables) were the standard in the 70s. Same reason. One of my friends worked at a classical station and kept saying that she NEVER had a problem with a bathroom or smoke break.

skatesindreams
05-24-2012, 03:03 PM
I'm very happy for Phillip. Without Idol he wouldn't have had the chance for a real "career" in music.
After his surgery, hopefully he will feel better.
(I'm sure that this was an issue during some of his later performances. The tour will give him (and others) valuable performances experience.
He's been determined to perform material meaningful to him. I hope that the "Idol machine" doesn't change that too much.

Jessica will be fine.
After her Idol obligations, a producer will find her and mold her into whatever the music industry is looking for: "the next _____".

cruisin
05-24-2012, 03:14 PM
The full version of American Pie and In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida (if they had autosequencing turntables) were the standard in the 70s. Same reason. One of my friends worked at a classical station and kept saying that she NEVER had a problem with a bathroom or smoke break.

Actually, you could play everything Iron Butterfly ever did as In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida, in one multi hour shot. Everything they did sounded exactly like it! :lol: I remember when they were current, my brother loved In-A..., but even he acknowledged that each time they released something it was In-A... #2, 3, 4...:lol:

birdgal
05-24-2012, 03:15 PM
I'm very happy for Phillip. Without Idol he wouldn't have had the chance for a real "career" in music.
After his surgery, hopefully he will feel better.
(I'm sure that this was an issue during some of his later performances. The tour will give him (and others) valuable performances experience.
He's been determined to perform material meaningful to him. I hope that the "Idol machine" doesn't change that too much.

Jessica will be fine.
After her Idol obligations, a producer will find her and mold her into whatever the music industry is looking for: "the next _____".

ITA. From an interview that I saw on Youtube, all he really wants to do is to be able to play music. I hope that AI affords him that opportunity and that he will be able to continue to perform music on mostly his terms.

Jessica has an incredible future ahead of her.

taf2002
05-24-2012, 03:20 PM
If they give her the right songs like they did Jordin Sparks for her first album, there's no reason why, since AllSkate said radio, she can't be up there with Beyonce.

Because Jordin isn't "up there with Beyonce?" I know lots of people who never watch AI who know who Beyonce is. They don't have a clue who Jordin Sparks is. That will probably change when Sparkle comes out. Maybe. 5+ years later.

WHAT?!?!?

Bless.....just...bless.

Jennifer. Freaking. Holiday. Wrote the BOOK. Who cares what she LOOKS LIKE?!? Girlfriend SANGS like no one, anywhere, anytime. Ever.

Bless....

I haven't watched last night's show yet but I have seen a clip of Jessica & JH singing. Simon Cowell would have called it indulgent. I found it extremely unpleasant & show-offy.

If she wrote the BOOK I sure don't want to read it.

snoopysnake
05-24-2012, 03:44 PM
Actually, you could play everything Iron Butterfly ever did as In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida, in one multi hour shot. Everything they did sounded exactly like it! :lol: I remember when they were current, my brother loved In-A..., but even he acknowledged that each time they released something it was In-A... #2, 3, 4...:lol:

Ryan Seacrest, March 2013: "Yes, it's Iron Butterfly week on American Idol. They sat down with Jimmy and WGWG #2342...let's have a look."

AxelAnnie
05-24-2012, 04:14 PM
WHAT?!?!?

Bless.....just...bless.

Jennifer. Freaking. Holiday. Wrote the BOOK. Who cares what she LOOKS LIKE?!? Girlfriend SANGS like no one, anywhere, anytime. Ever.

Bless....

yes! Yes! and Yes!

phoenixflamezzz
05-24-2012, 04:43 PM
Because Jordin isn't "up there with Beyonce?" I know lots of people who never watch AI who know who Beyonce is. They don't have a clue who Jordin Sparks is. That will probably change when Sparkle comes out. Maybe. 5+ years later.

Again, I was talking about on the radio...during Jordin Sparks' debut album. She wasn't able to sustain that success for her second album, but I'm just making the point that with the right songs, Jessica can be up there with Beyonce (radio-wise), as evidenced by Jordin Sparks success during her debut album. That's all. I'm not saying that Jordin is as popular as Beyonce.