PDA

View Full Version : American Idol Finale: WGWG or Bebe Chez? (5/22/12)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

Lacey
05-24-2012, 03:32 AM
Can someone refresh me what kind of surgery Phillip needs, something to do with his kidney, huh? I was worried when I read today that he needs it right away.

birdgal
05-24-2012, 03:41 AM
Phillip never really talks, so I don't know how people can know if he knows who he is as a person. There's no question he has a distinct singing style, but I'm not sure that's maturity. I hope that he will show a little more variety in the future. I think Jessica knows who she is as an artist. She wants to be on the radio right next to Beyonce. Maturity isn't really her problem. Age is, though. They're going to have to find enough good material that is appropriate for a 17 year-old. But I think they'll have an easier time finding radio-friendly material that suits her style than they will with Phillip.

I saw a couple of YouTube videos of Phillip being interviewed by a local GA television station, where he talked about how he became a musician and would like to be known for his work as an artist. He was very down to earth and seemed a bit shy. The videos were filmed last October, after he had been selected for AI.

Jessica needs a bit more emotional connection to the music, IMHO. I just had a difficult time connecting with her. She is a great talent, but is a bit young for me.

Skylar is only 18, but seemed light years more mature than Jessica. It is a difference in life experiences. Skylar and Phillip have had some, but Jessica is only 16. Those few years can make a big difference.

phoenixflamezzz
05-24-2012, 03:45 AM
LOL, this show. Very funny that "WGWG5", "white guy with guitar" and "Lee DeWyze" all trended on twitter. But really, if Skylar or Jessica couldn't put an end to it, not sure what type of singer can now, unless they just stop casting these boys (and pimp them throughout the competition).

Poor David Cook and Kris Allen. Those two were actually very inventive and original and were at least in the Top 2/3 of their seasons, and they're being lumped in with Lee and P2.

Anyways, that Jennifer Holliday/Jessica Sanchez duet gave me life. Whooo boy. That girl will be a star.

numbers123
05-24-2012, 03:55 AM
I think Jessica knows who she is as an artist. She wants to be on the radio right next to Beyonce. Maturity isn't really her problem. Age is, though. They're going to have to find enough good material that is appropriate for a 17 year-old. But I think they'll have an easier time finding radio-friendly material that suits her style than they will with Phillip.

I think the Jessica has a llooooonnnngggg way to go to be up there with Beyonce.

jenny12
05-24-2012, 04:01 AM
Not surprised with Phillip's win. Not just because he is a WGWG, but because Jessica didn't have a very good night. If she had a spectacular night, I'm not sure it would have made a difference results-wise, but at least it would've been more suspenseful.

phoenixflamezzz
05-24-2012, 04:04 AM
I think the Jessica has a llooooonnnngggg way to go to be up there with Beyonce.

If they give her the right songs like they did Jordin Sparks for her first album, there's no reason why, since AllSkate said radio, she can't be up there with Beyonce.

Also I'm trying to wrack my brain to figure out what it'll take to beat a P2 from now on. Rockers like Adam, James, and Elise weren't able to, neither was a folky Crystal, a jazzy Haley, or a pageant country girl Lauren. No on a mini-Reba with all the stage presence in the world in Skylar nor a disney pop princess like Hollie; R&B powerhouse singers like Joshua and Jessica failed. Really, I've covered all the types of singers that go on this show, no? :rofl:

snoopysnake
05-24-2012, 04:05 AM
It is worth noting that Jessica was wearing a silver dress when she was first onstage with Phillip tonight. Surely not a conicidence, was that.

I want to take that blonde woman in the "battlefield, battlefield" commercial and throw her across the room, or better yet, clobber her with the speaker box thing. And don't get me started on that "huh-huh-huh" skydiving thing. No one should make that noise (or have to listen to it) unless they are in the delivery room giving birth or coaching Lamaze!

John Fogerty still rules!

My favorite bit tonight was Steven Tyler's "house" and the sloth.

snoopysnake
05-24-2012, 04:10 AM
If they give her the right songs like they did Jordin Sparks for her first album, there's no reason why, since AllSkate said radio, she can't be up there with Beyonce.

Also I'm trying to wrack my brain to figure out what it'll take to beat a P2 from now on.

They will have to reject all good looking white guys in the auditions.

phoenixflamezzz
05-24-2012, 04:13 AM
I think they should cast 2 good looking WGWG of the humble, wholesome variety and have them duke it out (they came close this year with Colton, who was more of a piano serenader I guess, but then he had to go all Lady Gaga and devil outfit on us).

It will be like Sophie's choice for the voting audience.

my little pony
05-24-2012, 04:16 AM
i havent found any of the wgwg5 good looking although i liked and still like cookie. they need to do an all girl season in order for one to win like when ANTM had all short girls.

phoenixflamezzz
05-24-2012, 04:24 AM
i havent found any of the wgwg5 good looking although i liked and still like cookie. they need to do an all girl season in order for one to win like when ANTM had all short girls.

This is the same fandom that had women going crazy for Clay, Bo, and Taylor after all. I mean I'm not one to judge, but different strokes. :lol:

I think Kris is probably the most attractive of the bunch; P2 in certain angles.

nypanda
05-24-2012, 04:29 AM
They had the wrong Jennifer there to sing that song... The affectation, the faces, the hair... The people in the theater must have seen something we didn't.

WHAT?!?!?

Bless.....just...bless.

Jennifer. Freaking. Holiday. Wrote the BOOK. Who cares what she LOOKS LIKE?!? Girlfriend SANGS like no one, anywhere, anytime. Ever.

Bless....

Allskate
05-24-2012, 04:34 AM
I saw a couple of YouTube videos of Phillip being interviewed by a local GA television station, where he talked about how he became a musician and would like to be known for his work as an artist. He was very down to earth and seemed a bit shy. The videos were filmed last October, after he had been selected for AI.

Jessica needs a bit more emotional connection to the music, IMHO. I just had a difficult time connecting with her. She is a great talent, but is a bit young for me.

Skylar is only 18, but seemed light years more mature than Jessica. It is a difference in life experiences. Skylar and Phillip have had some, but Jessica is only 16. Those few years can make a big difference.

I think Jessica could benefit from connecting a little more to the music, but people said the same things about Carrie. Jennifer Hudson doesn't have the best stage presence either. And really, how much connection do Britney, Jennifer Lopez, and Katy Perry show to their music? Jessica actually struck me as more mature than some of the others on the show, but I'd like to see them raise the age minimum to 18.

I'm not convinced that Phillip is really connecting to any particular song or expressing much beyond his love for music, which I do appreciate. His phrasing, connection and expression seem the same with virtually every song, so that gives me no sense that he's actually connecting with any particular song.

I think that Skylar and P2 have stronger stage presence than Jessica in many ways, but I haven't realy seen much evidence of them showing their life experiences. Really, their performances haven't told me much at all about their life experiences.

I think all three of them could benefit from a little more nuance and subtlety.

Cyn
05-24-2012, 04:35 AM
And don't get me started on that "huh-huh-huh" skydiving thing. No one should make that noise (or have to listen to it) unless they are in the delivery room giving birth or coaching Lamaze!

Ugh.....that "song" is "O Superman" by Laurie Anderson, which was recorded/released in (IIRC) 1981. The entire version of it is over 8 minutes of agonizing torture :scream: - before MTV arrived in Atlanta, we had a local video music channel, and they played that damn thing about 12 times a day.

As a 14 year-old, that noise was the stuff of nightmares, and now, 31 years later, any time that commercial comes on, I will knock furniture over and/or mow down a crowd of pre-schoolers if necessary to get to the remote so I can change the channel.

birdgal
05-24-2012, 04:47 AM
I think Jessica could benefit from connecting a little more to the music, but people said the same things about Carrie. Jennifer Hudson doesn't have the best stage presence either. And really, how much connection do Britney, Jennifer Lopez, and Katy Perry show to their music? Jessica actually struck me as more mature than some of the others on the show, but I'd like to see them raise the age minimum to 18.

I'm not convinced that Phillip is really connecting to any particular song or expressing much beyond his love for music, which I do appreciate. His phrasing, connection and expression seem the same with virtually every song, so that gives me no sense that he's actually connecting with any particular song.

I think that Skylar and P2 have stronger stage presence than Jessica in many ways, but I haven't realy seen much evidence of them showing their life experiences. Really, their performances haven't told me much at all about their life experiences.

I think all three of them could benefit from a little more nuance and subtlety.

I think the tour will give all some great experiences and will help them to grow as artists and performers.

Don't you remember the clip of Skylar riding her ATV and shooting her rifle? Oh, and when she said she missed her gun? :eek: She definitely hasn't been as sheltered as some of the other contestants.

Phillip has been coping with chronic medical issues, worked in a pawn shop, and is largely self taught. His brother in law helped him to get started in music.

Granted not much to go on.