PDA

View Full Version : First Trip to Paris - Please Advise!

Pages : 1 [2] 3

Theatregirl1122
05-22-2012, 05:57 PM
Personally I believe that the ham and cheese crepe from a street vender is truly the best option. You don't even want to know how many I had the last time I was in Paris.

barbk
05-22-2012, 06:55 PM
I like the lunchtime ham on a baguette available at many of the boulangeries -- "jambon beurre" -- and while I wouldn't have thought of putting some good butter on bread and then ham, they were yummy, cheap, and eminently portable to the nearest park or public space for eating and people watching. Boulangeries often have other lunch-type carry-away foods, and sometimes a special where you get a sandwich and a drink and a treat for a fixed price. I don't think I had a bad one.

Love the crepes carts too -- but my favorite is Gran Marnier with sugar. Mmmmm.

Also, there was some kind of museums pass you could buy that gets you into a bunch of museums and most importantly, allows you to avoid what can otherwise be some awful lines. Don't remember what it is called, though.

I liked the Eyewitness Paris walking guide suggestions. Got me to some places I'd not have considered.

I also found that walking in the city very early in the day was much different than the busier mid-morning.

Took my niece on one of the boat rides down the Seine on a misty May evening, and it was lovely.

Loved the Musee d'Orsay, and the Rodin sculpture garden, which was cheap to enter.

I took an evening walking (guided) tour and thoroughly enjoyed it -- wasn't this company, but something like it:
http://www.paris-walks.com/cariboost_files/2012_20JUNE_20WALKS.pdf

Jenny
05-22-2012, 07:05 PM
Also, there was some kind of museums pass you could buy that gets you into a bunch of museums and most importantly, allows you to avoid what can otherwise be some awful lines. Don't remember what it is called, though.

Yes, I got one at a Metro station, and was able to sail straight into the Louvre without getting into the line hundreds long snaking around the courtyard. Definitely worth it.

Marilou
05-22-2012, 07:19 PM
Here's my vote for the museum pass - it was well worth it! I'm so envious that you get to spend two weeks, we had three days last summer and can hardly wait to go again! It's a fantastic city. And I echo the advise to just walk and get lost in the city. We stayed in the Latin Quarter, and I would definitely recommend a walk through it as well.

mag
05-22-2012, 07:33 PM
This: http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g187147-d844400-r105291960-Amorino-Paris_Ile_de_France.html IMHO is the best ice cream EVER!! There are a number of locations in Paris.

Lots of info already in this thread, but I'm not sure if anyone mentioned the hop on hop off pass for the little ferry on the Seine. It is a great way to see Paris. I agree with those who say walk, walk, walk, and this little ferry is just a nice break during the day.

ETA: I also agree with the museum pass. You should purchase it from one of the smaller museums where the line isn't as long. Then you can jump ahead at the bigger places with longer lines.

cruisin
05-22-2012, 11:17 PM
We did the very cliche night time boat trip on the Seine. It was beautiful, the Eiffel Tower, at night, is all lit up and just glitters like tiny diamonds!

Artemis@BC
05-22-2012, 11:22 PM
I was somewhat disappointed in the Seine boat cruise the last time I was there, just because the banks/walls are so high you don't get to see as much as you'd like. Certainly compared to the Thames river cruise (which I'd done a few days before that), where you get much better views of the city.

The Canal St Martin cruise, OTH, gave us some really good views of the city.

But maybe do a Seine dinner cruise -- with enough good food and wine you won't care so much that you can't see the sights. ;)

cruisin
05-22-2012, 11:23 PM
I was somewhat disappointed in the Seine boat cruise the last time I was there, just because the banks/walls are so high you don't get to see as much as you'd like. Certainly compared to the Thames river cruise (which I'd done a few days before that), where you get much better views of the city.

But maybe do a Seine dinner cruise -- with enough good food and wine you won't care so much that you can't see the sights. ;)

Was it dark when you went? Maybe that makes a difference?

Artemis@BC
05-22-2012, 11:26 PM
Was it dark when you went? Maybe that makes a difference?

Nope, high noon. Like I say, it was because the Thames one was so good that the Seine suffered by comparison -- on the Thames there's basically no height difference between the river and the land, whereas the Seine runs a lot lower than the banks.

(Just edited my previous post to add the Paris Canal cruise, which was great.)

cruisin
05-22-2012, 11:34 PM
Nope, high noon. Like I say, it was because the Thames one was so good that the Seine suffered by comparison -- on the Thames there's basically no height difference between the river and the land, whereas the Seine runs a lot lower than the banks.

(Just edited my previous post to add the Paris Canal cruise, which was great.)

That may be why you didn't enjoy it as much. At night, you can't really see much at eye level, anyway. But you can see all of the brilliant sparkling lights. If you ever are in a position to do it again, go in the dark, I bet you'd enjoy it much more :)

I forgot something really important!

Nomad - Have a wonderful time!

cailuj365
05-23-2012, 02:27 AM
Just came back from a vacation in Paris today actually. Quelle belle ville!

I am also in favor of the Paris Museum Pass, especially if you will be there for that long. It includes admission into nearly all of the big attractions. You also get to skip the line at the Louvre!

If you get a chance, I highly recommend going to Versailles. The chateau is amazing, but the gardens are simply spectacular. Wow.

My Parisian friend gave me a short list of things to see, and I only got to one of them. However, one park that he recommended was Andre Citroen. He said that it's not so touristy and it's a great place to have a picnic.

Enjoy Paris!

cailuj365
05-23-2012, 02:27 AM
double post, whoops

Spareoom
05-23-2012, 05:41 AM
Thanks, Genevieve. The nieces aren't coming, however. Early June is swim season, so they've now turned down Venice, Mexico, and Paris. Silly bints. But I want to buy them cool souvenirs anyway.

Please take me instead. :saint:

MarieM
05-23-2012, 05:59 AM
If you intend on going to museum, try buying the tickets in advance, you can find most of them on the internet. It'll save you a LOOOOOOOOT of time.

As for the rest, I think you should just walk and wander around, and take your pick on whatever you like. Things get very expensive in Le Marais BTW or Saint Michel since they're crowded with tourists.

Sandra
05-23-2012, 08:12 AM
Just adding a few suggestions to the great ones already coming in. You will be near Place des Vosges, so make sure you don't miss it, there are so many things too see anywhere you turn, sometimes we miss a treasure right close by! It took me a few visits to Paris until I discovered the (also nearby) musee Carnavalet (history of Paris), I even walked past it a few times, until the gardens called my attention, and the marvel of it is just the start for what awaits you inside. Right off Place des Vosges you will find many small boutiques with a wide variety of choices for quality gifts. Watch the prices and quality, there is a wide variety of those too... but it's a fun place for treasure hunting.

Another jewel is the musee de Cluny (Middle Ages and the Roman thermals). The iconic tapestries of The Dame and the Unicorn are there, among so many other treasures.

The Parc Monceau is a bit far from the Marais, but if you are into walking, it's a gorgeous way of discovering fab architecture and gardens if you walk from Vosges to Monceau. Comfortable shoes is a must to meet this challenge...

The souvenir stores at the Louvre, Carnavalet, and Cluny have high quality souvenirs and books at a fair price.

One unexpected hint that I have for you is, wear mascara, a lot of it! Besides the obvious glamour point, it protects your eyes from the ever present pollen and dust that adores to get inside our Paris-adoring eyes. I tried wearing larger and larger sunglasses but nothing helped until a friend told me to wear two or three layers of mascara. It works!

Have lots of fun!