PDA

View Full Version : Neighbor's dog poop

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Gazpacho
05-21-2012, 06:39 PM
The neighbor's dogs keep pooping on our lawn. Sometimes on the driveway. It's disgusting, and I'm afraid to cut the grass again because last time it went over the poop.

I haven't caught them in the act, but they're the only dogs on the street, so I know it's them.

What should I do? I fear the neighbors are the type to seek revenge by being really loud and obnoxious, so I don't want to start an all-out neighborhood war.

Rob
05-21-2012, 06:47 PM
The neighbor's dogs keep pooping on our lawn. Sometimes on the driveway. It's disgusting, and I'm afraid to cut the grass again because last time it went over the poop.

I haven't caught them in the act, but they're the only dogs on the street, so I know it's them.

What should I do? I fear the neighbors are the type to seek revenge by being really loud and obnoxious, so I don't want to start an all-out neighborhood war.

I usually just pick it up because I have no idea who is not picking up after their dog. And I have no idea if my cat is pooping anywhere she shouldn't.

My friend posted a small sign that says "Please pick up after your dog" - it is on a pole with a pouch where she puts the sleeve bags her newspaper comes in so there are bags and no excuse.

mag
05-21-2012, 06:52 PM
It is a tough one. One garbage day the garbage collected refused to empty our can because there was a bag of dog poop in the top of it. We don't have a dog and someone else must have put it there between the time I put the can out and the time the truck came around. I called and was told it was my responsibility to make sure there was no poop in our can ... not sure what they expect? Perhaps I need to guard my can all morning?

Are these the kind of neighbours you could invite for a drink on a Sunday afternoon, preferably right after you have mowed the law? Perhaps you could subtlety swing the conversation around to lawn mowing and picking up poop?

Might be best to just pick up the poop and move on - as annoying as that may be.

Gazpacho
05-21-2012, 06:56 PM
Are these the kind of neighbours you could invite for a drink on a Sunday afternoon, preferably right after you have mowed the law? Perhaps you could subtlety swing the conversation around to lawn mowing and picking up poop? Definitely not! These are inconsiderate neighbors in more than one way.

FunnyBut
05-21-2012, 07:44 PM
I would anonymously return the poop to its rightful owner, on their front doorstep. I would repeat as necessary, until they get the hint.

Skittl1321
05-21-2012, 07:53 PM
Do you happen to have a toddler handy?

My in-laws took care of this problem, by hiding out in the garage at the time of the offender's walk (it was a regular problem, and they often saw them from the backyard/kitchen) and right as they walked away, the 4-year old came out with a bag and said "would you like me to get our pooper scooper shovel to help you pick that up?"

The offender now walks the dog with a bag in hand. Being admonished by a child is tough.

If you haven't 'caught' them, and don't want to confront them directly, I'm not sure there is much you can do. Passive aggressive behaviors don't usually fix things.

nubka
05-21-2012, 08:23 PM
I was just talking about this subject with my son-in-law yesterday. He knew someone that had the same problem as yours. This person tried talking to the dog's owner, ect., nothing got through to him. The person whose lawn was being pooped on decided to pour bacon grease over the poop piles. The next time the dog came over, he smelled the bacon grease, and gobbled up all of his own poop piles! :D

milanessa
05-21-2012, 08:27 PM
I was just talking about this subject with my son-in-law yesterday. He knew someone that had the same problem as yours. This person tried talking to the dog's owner, ect., nothing got through to him. The person whose lawn was being pooped on decided to pour bacon grease over the poop piles. The next time the dog came over, he smelled the bacon grease, and gobbled up all of his own poop piles! :D

So the dog suffers because the owners are asses?

Twizzler
05-21-2012, 08:29 PM
If you have a home owners association, report it to them and maybe they can send the violaters a formal letter.

We had a problem with a previous neighbor- they let the dog out, it went in our lawn constantly and they literally laughed about it. We asked repeatedly (and nicely) for them to clean up after the dog to no avail. They also had more than 27 piles of dog poop in their own back yard (yes we counted!!) that were being added to on a daily basis. It was the middle of the summer and the stench and the flies were disgusting. Finally, we called the cops for health code violations. Matter was taken care of immediately. I felt bad, but the situation was definitely becoming a health hazard.

nubka
05-21-2012, 08:39 PM

I knew somebody here would say that! :D :D

Cupid
05-21-2012, 09:14 PM
I would anonymously return the poop to its rightful owner, on their front doorstep. I would repeat as necessary, until they get the hint.

I would just fling it over on their side, let them figure out where each pile landed.

You may also try to actually catch them in the act, most dogs are let out first thing in the morning or last thing at night. Just open the door and watch and not say anything, but let them see that you are watching, and if they leave it there, proceed with above.

Japanfan
05-21-2012, 11:25 PM
It is a tough one. One garbage day the garbage collected refused to empty our can because there was a bag of dog poop in the top of it. We don't have a dog and someone else must have put it there between the time I put the can out and the time the truck came around. I called and was told it was my responsibility to make sure there was no poop in our can ...

:confused: Where do you put it, if not in the garbage?

Dave of the North
05-21-2012, 11:30 PM

It's amazing what dogs will eat, even if not covered with bacon grease - their own vomit, deer crap, unidentified crap - three items I saw dogs eat...

loulou
05-21-2012, 11:37 PM

I swear that was my first instict. But then I went on to read:

I fear the neighbors are the type to seek revenge by being really loud and obnoxious, so I don't want to start an all-out neighborhood war.

It's a tricky situation. I know a person whose arcades are right along side of the walks, and dogs started finding them attractive. He put a sign out: "This is no dog litter". Strangely enough, it worked. I guess dog owners started feeling ashemed.

But if your neighboughrs are inconsiderete and you put out a sign like that, they might start enjoying to littler your place.

Could you maybe keep the dog away, like with those invisible fences?

Scintillation
05-21-2012, 11:37 PM
Yeah according to the vet dogs eating dog poop is not at all uncommon and isn't harmful. I do know of one dog that does it and occasionally vomits it right back up. (ew.)
It does give the world's worst breath. My dog loves to snack on his own poop but my dad is so revolted by it that he has to be monitored every time he goes outside.