PDA

View Full Version : Czisny to undergo surgery for torn labrum in left hip

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26

IceAlisa
05-23-2012, 04:54 PM
I think the majority of hip replacement patients have osteo- or other forms of arthritis in the hip.

euterpe
05-23-2012, 05:02 PM
As I understand it, yes. The reason it takes quite a while for the labrum tear to heal is the same as why it doesn't hurt: no blood vessels. So healing takes much longer than muscle tissue. And of course, it must be strong before putting full stress on it.

It doesn't seem as if Alissa would be ready to compete at NHK just 6 months after surgery.

skatesindreams
05-23-2012, 05:07 PM
pingu, many thanks for explaining the injury.

Skittl1321
05-23-2012, 05:11 PM
It doesn't seem as if Alissa would be ready to compete at NHK just 6 months after surgery.

I think it is just a safe-guard for if she is ready. I bet they are expecting to likely drop out.

rfisher
05-23-2012, 05:12 PM

The average recovery time is 2-4 months for this type of surgery...that's for athletes being back to doing what they were doing, so I'd say the odds are actually quite good she will be physically ready. The issue might be having her programs in good shape by then, but she should have everything in good shape by US nationals.

Lacey
05-23-2012, 05:39 PM
IIRC, Tara's injury was caused by her repetitive jumping, mainly of her triple loop-triple loop combination. Tara was also the poster child for overdoing things, she had this thing about landing multiple (10?) of every jump in a row without missing at every practice.)

I also can't help but wonder if, at least for the ladies, repetitive stress on the joint while still in adolescence (active bony growth plates, joints still maturing) doesn't add to their risk of developing these problems. Yes, I realize Alissa is well past her teen years and this probably doesn't apply to her. In her case, I wonder if the constant reworking of her jump technique didn't add to this problem.

Yes, Yazmeen, I remember Tara's injury the same way--3 loop/3 loop combination and her personality trying to rockem sockem out 30 times per jump per practice. (But I don't think she grew, she's still small.) Should coaches monitor their skaters, hello Richard Callaghan?

I wonder if anyone has ever compared Tara's and Michelle's injuries. It would either be fab to have Debbie Thomas do a study or it would scare off the parents of any present and future competitors. Is it just the 3 loop, made worse when combined with another 3 loop, or is it other jumps that cause hip problems? Seems to me there is something about the rotation of the hip before takeoff (similar to the golfers) and also something intrinsically wonky about the landing of the 3 loop that is worse than the others, not that any are easy on the body when landing on the hard ice, or worse, falling on it. (Hockey players just plain seem insane with their physicality.)

Did Tara ever skate again, even in shows after her surgery? And I am sorry to say that I do not specifically remember if Michelle had surgery or just retired from comps or did shows. Any other girls lose a career over injury? Didn't even Kimmie have something going on at the end, but she had grown.

How many of the men, Yagudin and who else. Plush's injuries and surgeries were not with the hip?

And I do agree about Alissa's flexibility issues, will she ever again be able to spin or to spiral like before, much less jump?

IceAlisa
05-23-2012, 05:46 PM

That's not a given. Six months is a long time and what rfisher said.

Cheylana
05-24-2012, 12:27 AM
I wish Alissa a full recovery. Since Sochi is a big goal for her, I almost wonder if she wouldn't be better off taking next season off entirely, get nice and 1,000% healed up, and then make a run at Sochi the following season. It's not like the US is teeming with girls poised to overtake her.

euterpe
05-24-2012, 12:35 AM
I wish Alissa a full recovery. Since Sochi is a big goal for her, I almost wonder if she wouldn't be better off taking next season off entirely, get nice and 1,000% healed up, and then make a run at Sochi the following season. It's not like the US is teeming with girls poised to overtake her.

There are a sufficient number of ladies to displace Alissa: Wagner, Gold, Zhang and Zawadski. Wagner has already proved her mettle, and Gold was impressive in her first senior competition against the cream of the crop. If the US still has only two spots for Sochi, Alissa could be the disappointed one (as Wagner was in 2010).

jlai
05-24-2012, 12:41 AM
2011-2 was indeed an off year for US ladies at US nationals, but I dont expect US ladies to be quite so weak next year. Last year they had a couple of upcomers having season ending injuries (Ceasrio and Hicks) in addition to Rachael training less and going to college, which all added up to a weaker nationals. Next year I expect stronger talent being displayed, though I expect the international competition to be tougher too

Cheylana
05-24-2012, 05:32 AM
There are a sufficient number of ladies to displace Alissa: Wagner, Gold, Zhang and Zawadski. Wagner has already proved her mettle, and Gold was impressive in her first senior competition against the cream of the crop. If the US still has only two spots for Sochi, Alissa could be the disappointed one (as Wagner was in 2010).
I'm not saying Czisny couldn't possibly be displaced, but she's not going to be buried and forgotten if she has to take a year off. In US ice dancing you take a year off and you're liable to sink in the standings. But this is US ladies...Wagner and Gold would be big threats, but that's about it. Maybe Hicks. I think Alissa could get right back in the mix.

Japanfan
05-24-2012, 06:16 AM
I'm not saying Czisny couldn't possibly be displaced, but she's not going to be buried and forgotten if she has to take a year off. In US ice dancing you take a year off and you're liable to sink in the standings. But this is US ladies...Wagner and Gold would be big threats, but that's about it. Maybe Hicks. I think Alissa could get right back in the mix.

I would be surprised if she did. I just love her, she is one of my favourite ladies' ever. But I don't think her melt-down at Worlds can be totally blamed on injury, and I think she reached her peak last season.

Hopefully the US ladies field will get stronger - a situation in which Alissa becomes the Phaneuf of the US is really not desirable.

If she could come back twice as strong I would be overjoyed, but I really don't expect it to happen.

Mayra
05-24-2012, 06:22 AM

A lot can happen heading into one season let alone two. Last year who could have predicted Zhang would improve to the extent she did and Gold rising to the level she did.

By 2013-2014 there could be a whole slew of talent being name dropped including Wang, Miller, Bell, Keiser, Hicks, Nagasu, Gao etc.

If Alissa needs to take the entire season off, then I hope she does it. At the end of the day, her health should be her number 1 priority. Skating-wise however, I can't imagine the road will be any easier in 2013 and wouldn't assume it will only be Gold and Wagner she'll be battling to earn a place on the Olympic team. JMO

Vagabond
05-24-2012, 06:23 AM
I don't think her melt-down at Worlds can be totally blamed on injury

Would you care to explain how well you think she could have done at Worlds, competing with a torn labrum, if it hadn't been for whatever other factors you think contributed to her dismal performance?

essence_of_soy
05-24-2012, 11:21 AM
Would you care to explain how well you think she could have done at Worlds, competing with a torn labrum, if it hadn't been for whatever other factors you think contributed to her dismal performance?

Five heavy falls in the free skate can't have helped, though.