PDA

View Full Version : Czisny to undergo surgery for torn labrum in left hip

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26

aliceanne
05-22-2012, 05:11 PM
I enjoy watching them, and I appreciate the sacrifices they make so that I have something wonderful to watch.

Pikachuusb
05-22-2012, 06:06 PM
Im sad to hear Alissa is dealing with this injury :( I wish her a speedy recovery

Carolla5501
05-22-2012, 06:20 PM
Agreed. this has happened TWO years in a row now. If this doesn't spark changes to selection/monitoring procedures, I don't know what will.

I guess what we should do is just "MRI scan" every competitor prior to them boarding the plane. (And folks thougth the TSA was intrusive)

Honestly, she didn't seem to be in pain so everyone thought it was just "Alissa" and there's not a clause for that in the rule book....

Sylvia
05-22-2012, 06:36 PM
Here's a short article in the Detroit Free Press: http://www.freep.com/article/20120521/SPORTS18/120521065/alissa-czisny-surgery-torn-labrum-figure-skating

euterpe
05-22-2012, 07:17 PM
Here's a short article in the Detroit Free Press: http://www.freep.com/article/20120521/SPORTS18/120521065/alissa-czisny-surgery-torn-labrum-figure-skating

That is the most unflattering picture of Alissa I have ever seen. It makes her look at least 10 years older than she actually is.

apatinar
05-22-2012, 07:35 PM
That is the most unflattering picture of Alissa I have ever seen. It makes her look at least 10 years older than she actually is.

omg, that is a HORRIBLE picture of Alissa however I think that they chose this shot to emphasize how horrible her skating was during the championships! Instead of them picking the obvious shot of her sprawled across the ice, they chose one of her looking as haggard as possible.

RD
05-22-2012, 08:48 PM
I don't see anything terribly wrong with that picture. Better than one with her butt on the ice, anyway, and lord knows those were probably the only choices they had!

The type of falls that determine/fasten his injury are those which cause a dislocation/subluxation, which are not the falls which happen in figure skating.

Ah, interesting. Thanks for breaking it down for us.

triple_toe
05-22-2012, 10:06 PM
pingu, perhaps you could answer this for me? I'm just a (former) skater, not a physiotherapist, but is my theory that the injury could have been caused from her overdoing the jumps when they started to disappear possible? It always seemed to me that when a jump went awry, I'd start trying harder. For example, if my flip suddenly became inconsistent, I'd automatically try to picker harder, torque more, and generally try to muscle the jump more than usual. I'd also start trying more of them than I'd normally do because the whole "muscle it more" thing doesn't work. Of course at this point my coach would step in and say I need to stop doing that, but it was still what I instinctively went to. I've found that to be a really common reaction among other skaters.

Aussie Willy
05-22-2012, 10:50 PM
Well done Pingu on your explanation.

As for all the comments about how things should have been handled before the injury, it is so easy to make those assessments in hindsight but you are not going to change what has happened. However at the end of the day, she has ended up with a serious injury which I am sure she didn't see it coming nor her coaching team. Lesson learnt.

maureenfarone
05-23-2012, 12:48 AM
I wish Alissa well and hope for her sake she has successful surgery and a good recovery. More than anything, I hope she follows her doctor's recommendations about returning to the ice and elite training/skating.

Get well, Alissa!

Miriam246
05-23-2012, 01:03 AM
This explains so much. Wishing Alissa all the very best.

oliver
05-23-2012, 01:37 AM
Is it possible that Alissa's poor jump technique, frequently off-axis, exacerbated her hip problems? It may also be that her extreme flexibility was also a factor. Yuka and Jason could not possibly correct such ingrained problems.

arakwafan2006
05-23-2012, 01:40 AM
This goes back to something her coach said.

"Yuka and I always tell [our students], 'If you never give up out there, we will always be there for you.' When I looked at [Czisny's free skate], I saw that she never quit, so I'm there for her, and so is Yuka. Most people would have started just doing doubles, but Alissa kept fighting ... In that respect, I'm very proud of what she did, because she didn't give up."

To me that sounds rather foolhardy. If something in your body is off, it does damage to keep falling repeatedly like that. Praising someone for choosing to fall rather than protect their body by going for doubles doesn't sound smart to me.

Thoughts?

My initial thought is that you just wanted to use the word foolhardy. The quote to the comment by Jason was most likely not to the question “ did you encourage her to be as reckless as possible?” that quote reads as a response to the question “ how do you feel about Czysny’s performance at worlds?” The only point that he was making was in the timeframe of the world championships and he seems to be saying that he encourages his skaters to stick out bad performances. There is something to be learned through tough times after all. I am not entirely sure how you walked away from the article with that conclusion but it seems like its opposite the compassion he feels for his pupil. What he seems to be praising her for was sticking out a bad season and bad performance even though she couldn’t figure out why it was happening.

kwanfan1818
05-23-2012, 02:21 AM
Thank you so much, pingu!

PDilemma
05-23-2012, 02:27 AM
Is it possible that Alissa's poor jump technique, frequently off-axis, exacerbated her hip problems? It may also be that her extreme flexibility was also a factor. Yuka and Jason could not possibly correct such ingrained problems.

This is the same injury that Kwan had. She did not have jump problems like that nor was she extremely flexible.

As many have explained here, several of them in the medical profession, this is a repetitive use injury that skaters are particularly prone to. Alissa has been an elite senior level competitor for around ten years.