PDA

View Full Version : Czisny to undergo surgery for torn labrum in left hip

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26

Alex Forrest
05-22-2012, 05:38 AM
Is this necessary? :(

Happy endings in skating are few, but let us hope Czisny will be happy with what she has accomplished no matter what happens, and that it w end somewhat happily for her.

I know Julie. I didn't mean it to be so rude sounding. I so want her to leave skating on her own successful terms and wish she had done that last year. I bet if she knew last year was her last Worlds she would have nailed it and medalled. (2011 of course). I really just hope she can fully recover from surgery, and take control of her career, even if it doesn't involve Olympics. She is highly marketable with her talent and beauty.

jlai
05-22-2012, 05:41 AM
I know Julie. I didn't mean it to be so rude sounding. I so want her to leave skating on her own successful terms and wish she had done that last year. I bet if she knew last year was her last Worlds she would have nailed it and medalled. (2011 of course). I really just hope she can fully recover from surgery, and take control of her career, even if it doesn't involve Olympics. She is highly marketable with her talent and beauty.

Yes, I wish she medalled that year too. Didnt mean to pick on you ifI came across that way

yunasashafan
05-22-2012, 05:58 AM
That is so sad to hear, but it explains a lot. Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

What was the injury Kostner had? Was it the hip or the knee? If it was the hip, was it the same type as Alissa?

love_skate2011
05-22-2012, 06:36 AM
I knew something terrible was wrong with her physically, :(
wish her a quick recovery and its up to her what she plans to do
in skating after the surgery...

but I don't think Alissa will never be the same again sadly

pingu
05-22-2012, 08:30 AM
Yeah, this is where I'm at. I mean, I just don't understand how the injury can occur slowly over time, but not cause pain while it's occurring. That is Chewbacca living on Endor. Can the medical people explain it?

I mean, is it possible that the injury is totally unrelated to the jump issues she had after Nationals? If not, and it was just weakness but no pain, wouldn't you at least feel the difference? I guess that's a question for the people who actually know what doing a triple jump feels like.

I will say, in her defense, that I messed up my sacroiliac, which is close to the hip, lol, and the injury is really inconsistent. Some days everything's in the right place and there's no serious pain. Other days, stuff moves around, locks up, etc, and I have issues. So maybe it was something like that, and there was no apparent pattern, just good days and bad days?

And wrt what triple toe said, I do wonder if those falls made things way worse. I know a torn labrum is a torque injury, but if the blade locks into the ice and the body keeps twisting, that could injure a hip pretty quickly. This is what appears to happen on some falls.

English is not my mothertongue language, but I'll try my best to explain to you guys what a torn labrum is.

On the part of the hip where the femur is articulated there is a cartilage ring, the labrum (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acetabular_labrum). When torsion movements are repeated for a long time (months/years), in some cases the labrum can break and tear. Once there is a part of the labrum that moves during the hip movements, you feel the pain because it interferes with the joint movement of pelvis and femur.
This means that you feel the pain when the labrum is already torn, therefore you can't prevent this injury.
It doesn't determine a changement in your movements (until you feel pain and can't move properly your hip because it hurts), in your technique, you can't diagnose it by observing the athlete's performance.
The type of falls that determine/fasten his injury are those which cause a dislocation/subluxation, which are not the falls which happen in figure skating.
To understand how this injury can happen, try to rub the back of your hand hard with your finger. At the beginning you don't feel anything, then after a while you start to feel some kind of pain. If you continue for a whole day you will break the skin of your hand. The same happens to the hip, except you don't feel the pain on the cartilage itself because that tissue doesn't have nerves. You only feel the pain once you have a piece of cartilage moving in your joint.

I hope I was clear enough :)

spikydurian
05-22-2012, 09:27 AM
Wish Alissa a speedy recovery. Heal well and fast.

paskatefan
05-22-2012, 10:16 AM
^ Amen!

Marco
05-22-2012, 12:02 PM
To be honest, I think it's mistake to assume Alissa could've even landed doubles at Worlds :shuffle:. At Challenge Cup, she was struggling with double toes and single axels.

ITA with you that this is a career-ender. You have an older, highly inconsistent skater with a hip injury. There's no happy ending here.

If this really is her career ender, I wish she had ended it in 2011 instead, right after she won GPF, regained her Nationals title, and placed a strong 5th at Worlds with a beautiful long program.

Now she is retiring after a disappointing season where she fell more than she landed triples at GPF, Challenge Cup and Worlds, and with a sinfully boring long program to boot.

Either way, I hope she has a speedy recovery.

Yazmeen
05-22-2012, 03:37 PM
English is not my mothertongue language, but I'll try my best to explain to you guys what a torn labrum is.

On the part of the hip where the femur is articulated there is a cartilage ring, the labrum (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acetabular_labrum). When torsion movements are repeated for a long time (months/years), in some cases the labrum can break and tear. Once there is a part of the labrum that moves during the hip movements, you feel the pain because it interferes with the joint movement of pelvis and femur.
This means that you feel the pain when the labrum is already torn, therefore you can't prevent this injury.
It doesn't determine a changement in your movements (until you feel pain and can't move properly your hip because it hurts), in your technique, you can't diagnose it by observing the athlete's performance.
The type of falls that determine/fasten his injury are those which cause a dislocation/subluxation, which are not the falls which happen in figure skating.
To understand how this injury can happen, try to rub the back of your hand hard with your finger. At the beginning you don't feel anything, then after a while you start to feel some kind of pain. If you continue for a whole day you will break the skin of your hand. The same happens to the hip, except you don't feel the pain on the cartilage itself because that tissue doesn't have nerves. You only feel the pain once you have a piece of cartilage moving in your joint.

I hope I was clear enough :)

I'm a physician, and I couldn't have explained that better, thanks so much for putting that together!

IceAlisa
05-22-2012, 03:42 PM
Bravo, pingu!

aliceanne
05-22-2012, 04:00 PM
It makes me appreciate the sacrifices elite skaters make for our viewing pleasure. By training 8 hours a day they speed up the aging process on their bodies.

Jenny81
05-22-2012, 04:35 PM
Oh dear! :(
Get well soon, Alissa.

pingu
05-22-2012, 04:47 PM
I'm a physician, and I couldn't have explained that better, thanks so much for putting that together!

Thanks! I think you've just made my week :)

nubka
05-22-2012, 04:59 PM
It makes me appreciate the sacrifices elite skaters make for our viewing pleasure. By training 8 hours a day they speed up the aging process on their bodies.

I seriously doubt they are doing it for our viewing pleasure... :shuffle:

Theatregirl1122
05-22-2012, 05:05 PM
I seriously doubt they are doing it for our viewing pleasure... :shuffle:

That was my thought as well.