PDA

View Full Version : Czisny to undergo surgery for torn labrum in left hip

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26

jlai
05-21-2012, 07:16 PM
Michelle and Tara both.

Has anyone successfully come back from this kind of of injury?

Good luck to her and here's hoping for a full recovery.

That is the same one Tara has? :eek:

Oh dear. But other skaters have recovered from this, hopefully?

AxelAnnie
05-21-2012, 07:19 PM
Well.............I just knew there was going to be a What Happened. I am so sorry the what happened had to be an injury. I wish her every good thing, and totally admire here ability to be gracious and lovely in the face of adversity.

IceAlisa
05-21-2012, 07:25 PM
Some info on the labral tear of the hip: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/hip-labral-tear/DS00920

jlai
05-21-2012, 07:34 PM
That sounds painful

IceAlisa
05-21-2012, 07:35 PM
MK said she had trouble doing activities of daily living, let alone skating. I recall her saying how getting in and out of a bathtub was painful. :(

Zemgirl
05-21-2012, 07:36 PM
Oh, ouch. Poor Alissa. As a baseball fan, I am more used to hearing about surgery for a torn shoulder labrum, and that's something you don't wish on anyone (http://www.slate.com/articles/sports/sports_nut/2004/05/labrum_it_nearly_killed_him.html). I don't know what the prognosis is for surgery on a torn labrum in the hip, but I hope she will be able to make a successful return to competitive skating.

scootie12
05-21-2012, 07:39 PM
I remember Michelle indicating how she felt better than ever after recovering from the surgery, and she looked in phenominal shape when I saw her skate ATS in late 2010. Granted, she wasn't doing triple lutzes or flips, but still, she looked great.

I think Alissa should be fine as long as she take the proper measures to recuperate and get back into shape.

victoriaheidi
05-21-2012, 07:50 PM
:( :( I love Alissa. I sounded harsh in the other thread, but I'm sorry she's in this situation and I do wish her the best for a speedy recovery.

LilJen
05-21-2012, 07:50 PM
Oh, wow. No WONDER her jumps weren't working. Surprising that there wasn't any pain until later. I earnestly hope the surgery is 100% successful, so she can conclude her eligible days when SHE feels she's ready to do so.

arakwafan2006
05-21-2012, 07:53 PM
Part of me is relieved there is a very good explanation for what happened at Worlds and Nats, and part of me is :( that she is injured. Speedy recovery, Alissa! :cheer2:

All that needs to be said. I completely agree

arakwafan2006
05-21-2012, 07:55 PM
I have to say though that i am pretty happy that she's working with Marina. I always thought that they would be a great match

Skittl1321
05-21-2012, 07:56 PM
MK said she had trouble doing activities of daily living, let alone skating. I recall her saying how getting in and out of a bathtub was painful. :(

I have a minor labral tear (from skating...) and when it was at its worst- I couldn't support my weight to walk.

Because I'm not an elite athlete, I didn't get the surgery to fix it. There are some skating moves I can no longer do (spirals!), but with heavy PT I can skate at my low level.

It is extremely painful, but at the same time I can see how someone used to always having minor injuries (I don't think any skaters are 100% pain free, ever) would dismiss it as a muscle pull until it got really bad. There was definitely a building of problems from the accident that we think caused it- it wasn't a sudden acute pain. If Alissa says she didn't know she was injured at World's, I'd believe her.

Alex Forrest
05-21-2012, 08:02 PM
Here's hoping for a successful recovery for Alissa. I know the Olympics are less than two years away and she's been in this game for so long so will probably stay in for that chance. But maybe during her rehab she will see the light. She is world class in so many things on the ice, but she is just not a strong competitor. I've watched her practice in the past, and she can go 100% on her jumps, so it's like "Wow she's really gotten it down, finally". Then she goes out and falls all over the place in the event. Maybe the road to recovery will give her a final resolve to show what she can do without the burden of competition nerves. I'd like to see her end her career on a happy note.

peibeck
05-21-2012, 08:09 PM
I hope she takes all the time she needs to heal and doesn't rush back. Better to not risk further injury by coming back to soon, even if she would have to skip her GP event.

Fridge_Break
05-21-2012, 08:13 PM
My best wishes to Alissa for a speedy and successful recovery!