PDA

View Full Version : Czisny to undergo surgery for torn labrum in left hip

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 [26]

leafygreens
06-08-2012, 12:19 AM
Hope she gets better, and can recover from this!

And hope someday there will be a spin competition for her, she's too good of a skater to not be winning things all the time. I used to skate in spin events at small rink competitions, I think they should be part of elite skating. Gymnasts get so many more opportunities to medal, skaters should too.

I agree!

It says up to 4 months, not 4 months or at least 4 months. We'll see. Hopefully she's not rushing to get back on the ice. This is not an Olympic year.

It's different for everyone. 4 months is a conservative estimate. It could be shorter but it could just as easily be 6 months or longer.

paskatefan
06-08-2012, 12:30 PM
Glad she's had the surgery, and that it was successful. May she heal completely! :encore:

leafygreens
06-08-2012, 04:41 PM
Something else I wanted to mention is that most doctors will say "4 months to full activity". This means that you are gradually building up the amount of activity you can do.

I would expect her to not be "back to her old self doing full arsenal of triples and spins" by 4 months. She's going to have to gradually ease into this.

The other thing is that Alissa said she's going to "train really hard." Well, this is different than other injuries. It's not like training the muscles, which is within your control. When it's the joint and the joint is messed up, it needs rest and will not let you train, even if you want to.

With that being said I really wish her the best and hope that she has a speedier recovery than most. I don't want her to retire yet. It would be a shame. I am confident that she has time to recover before the Olympics, but I hope this setback does not crush her spirit. '13 Nationals - possibly. But back in time for NHK -- I'm guessing no way. The other thing I'm wondering is will she have to qualify for nationals if she does not compete internationally? It might kick her out of the whole thing.

RD
06-08-2012, 04:46 PM
doesn't she have a bye to Natls for coming in 2nd this year?

leafygreens
06-08-2012, 04:52 PM

Hopefully - I'm not sure about the rules myself. If so, a bye would give her at least a couple more months to recover.

Sylvia
06-08-2012, 04:56 PM
Yes. Top 5 in senior receive a bye to the following year's Nationals, according to the rulebook.

olympic
06-10-2012, 05:50 PM
I've spent 30 minutes reading through this thread for the first time -

Alissa will probably be off the ice until October, then. What does a skater do in regards to skating if they are off the ice? Anything that can prep them for the upcoming season? Any sort of exercise? non-jumping choreography? etc.? Or will she blog and watch TV ;)

Frankly, I get a headache speculating about US ladies anymore, but since I can't help myself :P -

I think you have to consider Wagner, Gold and Zhang the standard-bearers for US ladies going into next season: Wagner is more and more confident, ironing out those small issues that have held her back, and working away at a clean 3-3. Zhang is hungry (skips the WTT to focus on next season), and contrary to what some say, Gold transitioned nicely with a revamped LP to compete as a Senior half-way across the world at WTT. Nicely done.

Zawadzki is too mistake prone to be among these 3 (more and more dazzling world beater in the SP, mistake ridden LP's), Nagasu is an even bigger question mark than Czisny (She manages to be an even bigger question mark than an injured athlete!), Flatt is just too busy with an ever-increasing workload at Stanford.

I think someone like Wang might make a move amongst all this chaos.

I wish Czisny the best. Let her continue to skate competitively if her doctors say it's OK to do so. She adds beauty to the sport.

krenseby
06-10-2012, 10:36 PM
[QUOTE=olympic;3591240}Nagasu is an even bigger question mark than Czisny [/QUOTE]

Is it really fair to say that? Nagasu does disappoint. That is certainly true. But she's also had good outings this year.

Sylvia
06-10-2012, 10:44 PM
Alissa was out and about on crutches at this weekend's Detroit SC show - 2 photos are linked from this post: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?p=3591266#post3591266

Ziggy
06-10-2012, 11:40 PM
What does a skater do in regards to skating if they are off the ice?

Off-ice training, ie. performing skating elements and part of your program off-ice.

Plus general excercise so running, stretching, stuff like pilates and yoga is ideal for skaters because it strengthens and stretches the muscles.

For Alissa, it's probably going to be a lot of physio first though to get her strength back as she has to avoid any pressure being put on her hip until it fully heals.

olympic
06-11-2012, 12:31 AM
Is it really fair to say that? Nagasu does disappoint. That is certainly true. But she's also had good outings this year.

As did Czisny (a couple of good outings). I was referring to Mirai transitioning to college, changing coaches (leaving FC). It seems up in the air

leafygreens
06-11-2012, 02:28 PM
I'm glad there was an Alissa spotting - she's alive! Yippie.