PDA

View Full Version : Czisny to undergo surgery for torn labrum in left hip

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26

leafygreens
05-31-2012, 02:57 AM
Since a tear causes limited motion of the hip joint, why weren't some of her spins affected as much as her jumps?

It doesn't cause completely limited motion. For example, a hip tear may hurt an athlete when doing straddle moves, but not with scissoring moves. Even a small degree of difference in position may hurt a lot, or none at all.

It seems like the early 90s didn't have as many injuries as today. Midori Ito, Yamaguchi and Harding did the most difficult jumps, but I don't recall them having major surgeries. Have they? Is it because of figures? I know Janet Lynn has insinuated that figures prevented injury. Figures must strengthen the muscles.

Possibly, but the hip arthroscopy is a very new surgery. They've only been really common place in the past few years. It's totally possible that many athletes had torn labrums in years past, but the doctors didn't know what it was.

RD
05-31-2012, 03:09 AM
To your first point, I think US fans should root for skaters regardless of whether they like them or not. I don't think anyone should be 'rooted' against regardless of their country. I don't hope Carolina or Mao or whoever fall on their faces. I just don't prefer them.

I used not to care so much about nationality and took for granted that the US always had lady skaters in the hunt. Today the situation is quite different. I'm much more likely to get behind a US skater that looks promising (or is showing marked improvement) in hopes that we can get back to where we were pre-2006 than I would an international skater of equal (or greater) talent. Just how I feel, personally.

B.Cooper
05-31-2012, 03:27 AM
But it didn't make their muscles stronger as the original poster suggested and as I was responding to. ;)

Which is exactly what happened. Have you all forgotten her interview after worlds when she said she had no idea why she couldn't land her jumps, how she went up into them fully expecting to land them?

This is exactly how this particular injury works in fact. You don't feel pain and nothing is wrong but the damage is accumulating. Then you still don't feel pain but something is now wrong, but because there is no pain you experience it only as not being able to do things you used to do. Then it gets even worse and there is now pain along with something wrong and so you go get it checked out and then you find you've been injured all along and just didn't know it.

Which is exactly what we saw happen with Alissa.

Alissa's quote in the interview is confusing, because of the fact that she had been struggling to land jumps as demonstrated in the video's from SGPF, DSC, CCup and Worlds. It wasn't as if all of a sudden she could not land jumps. As I said before, there seemed to be some destabilization of the hip occurring since the late autumn/early winter. She may had been lacking symptoms (no pain) but the lack of consistency in technique, the landing of jumps but just could not hold the landings....seems to indicate that something was wrong. Did Jason and Yuka just ignore the signs?

agalisgv
05-31-2012, 03:40 AM
Did Jason and Yuka just ignore the signs? Kinda comes down to the below, doesn't it?

If they didn't notice a change in their skater that was obvious to other observers, then they are inept coaches. If they did notice and opted to ignore it until after Worlds for fear of what they'd find, then they are irresponsible coaches. That pretty much says it all I think.

MacMadame
05-31-2012, 04:27 AM
Alissa's quote in the interview is confusing, because of the fact that she had been struggling to land jumps as demonstrated in the video's from SGPF, DSC, CCup and Worlds. It wasn't as if all of a sudden she could not land jumps. As I said before, there seemed to be some destabilization of the hip occurring since the late autumn/early winter. She may had been lacking symptoms (no pain) but the lack of consistency in technique, the landing of jumps but just could not hold the landings....seems to indicate that something was wrong. Did Jason and Yuka just ignore the signs?
This is only true if you ignore all the good practices and performance she had during those times and focus only on the times she was struggling. Plus, she did have a calf injury in the Fall. But her Nationals was strong. Her practices were terrific there. Her actual performances were not as strong but were strong enough to land her in 2nd place.

Susan M
05-31-2012, 05:11 AM
How will monitoring help the athlete?
It isn't meant to help the athlete. It is meant to help the national federation compose the strongest possible team for Worlds.

Who were these "other observers" you mentioned?
The poster to whom I was replying, for one.

If you meant "everyone on the World team" then you needed to say "everyone on the World team."
Since the discussion of test skate was initially raised in the context of Rachel & Alyssa and Word team selection, I thought that was implicit in the discussion. Silly me.

So, what happens if the first alternate bombs?
I already said, look at the alternate and make a decision. Doh. Really, people, it needn't be all that complicated.

Angela-Fan
05-31-2012, 01:07 PM
Alissa

Bev Johnston
05-31-2012, 08:57 PM
A review of performances of competitive programs by Alyssa, 2011-2012 season, in order thru the season:

(With Sylvia's help) ;-)

Thanks to you and Sylvia for this anthology. (Although I skipped the Challenge Cup and Worlds programs - I really don't need to see those again! :()

I just love Alissa's skating and hope she can make a full recovery and make a comeback, if not in 2012-2013, then in the following season.

Ziggy
06-04-2012, 12:33 AM
Yeah, I am also enough of a skeptic not to buy her conveniently exculpatory story either. She may not have been feeling a debilitating pain, but she had to know something felt off (especially if it was visibly affecting her landings as you described). Even more so, her coaches should have noticed the change in her technique and looked into it.

As a competitive athlete you're in pain 24/7, to a smaller or larger extent.

You're also pretty much chronically injured.

You have better days and worse days. Sometimes you are landing your jumps and sometimes you suddenly lose a jump and nobody knows why.

PairSk8Fan
06-04-2012, 05:39 PM
The degeneration of the labrum in the hip, a cartilaginous structure, very rarely can be reversed due to the fact that cartilage does not have the blood supply other structures do which can provide the setting for healing.

It is dangerous for any athlete to consider continuing on with activities that promote that degeneration. It can lead to permanent disability and multiple, necessary surgeries.

I wonder what Tara Lipinski would have to say about this subject?

Lacey
06-05-2012, 03:57 AM
Ya, I agree about asking if this is similar to Tara's injury?

Igor sure did take the heat off of Alissa. This thread has slowed down quite a bit.

leafygreens
06-05-2012, 05:08 PM
The degeneration of the labrum in the hip, a cartilaginous structure, very rarely can be reversed due to the fact that cartilage does not have the blood supply other structures do which can provide the setting for healing.

It is dangerous for any athlete to consider continuing on with activities that promote that degeneration. It can lead to permanent disability and multiple, necessary surgeries.

I wonder what Tara Lipinski would have to say about this subject?

Exactly - it can lead to early arthritis if not athroscopied. If you "push through the pain" and don't treat this injury, the cartilage wears away, and your joint is bone against bone.

B.Cooper
06-06-2012, 10:53 PM
Per Lynn Rutherford: ‏@LynnRutherford
New US Figure Skating release: Alissa Czisny is resting comfortably after hip surgery. Will be off ice up to 4 months as she rehabilitates.

RD
06-06-2012, 11:34 PM
4 months from now is October. Her GP event is in late November...

centerstage01
06-06-2012, 11:48 PM
It's looking like Mirai is going to get a second GP event. Alissa's got no business trying to come back that soon after being off the ice for four months. She'll be lucky to make Nationals.

Rest! Heal! Be able to walk much less skate!